2018 Mazda 6 suspension knock noise - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 Mazda 6 suspension knock noise

Hi,

My first service appointment is a week or so away but I thought I would post a video of the noise to get some feedback.

I am noticing this pop/knock in the suspension when hitting bumps and turning to the right. I've tried to catch it in a video, which I've posted on the YouTubes,

https://youtu.be/iu6pqn0MUrw
The sound reminds me of when I had endlinks go on previous cars...but it's odd it's only doing it when turning (car is silent when hitting bumps and going straight).
Car is so new I would be surprised if something was actually worn or broken. Does anyone else's car make this noise, too?

I will attempt to get a better video at some point in the next few days.

Tks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTEyes View Post
Hi,

My first service appointment is a week or so away but I thought I would post a video of the noise to get some feedback.

I am noticing this pop/knock in the suspension when hitting bumps and turning to the right. I've tried to catch it in a video, which I've posted on the YouTubes,

https://youtu.be/iu6pqn0MUrw
The sound reminds me of when I had endlinks go on previous cars...but it's odd it's only doing it when turning (car is silent when hitting bumps and going straight).
Car is so new I would be surprised if something was actually worn or broken. Does anyone else's car make this noise, too?

I will attempt to get a better video at some point in the next few days.

Tks,
Maybe not worn or broken, but maybe defective/out of spec part. It happens and why warranty. Wouldnt worry despite it being frustrating.

Would definitely drive me nuts. When did it start happening?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

2016 Mazda 6 iGT Meteor Gray w/Tech ("I'm Batman!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
Maybe not worn or broken, but maybe defective/out of spec part. It happens and why warranty. Wouldnt worry despite it being frustrating.

Would definitely drive me nuts. When did it start happening?

It caught my ear on the very first drive with it but thought it was just me not being familiar with the new car.

Did you watch the video? Can you hear the noise I am talking about? And...most importantly...am I nuts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Ha, I had a sound like that in my '16 Mazda3. It wasn't constant, but there was one particular bump on one particular road where it happened more often than not. In my mind, it sounded like an inadequate shock mount. But it was so infrequent, I really didn't think about it much unless I happened to be going over that particular bump dropping the kiddo off.

So anyway, eventually I had my 3 dropped with new springs and shocks. I never even thought about it until I happened to go over that bump a few times and I was like, "hey, I don't hear that sound anymore." and for the remaining 25k miles I had the car, I never heard that sound again.

So in conclusion, there was definitely something amiss with the stock suspension that seemed to be fixed when I put the Eibachs/Konis in. Now that said, that doesn't mean that I couldn't have taken it to the dealership and it may had been as simple as them tightening some bolts, who knows? But I say all of that to show you, in fact, you are not crazy. While not the exact same problem, I'm hopeful it's an easy fix for you

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzy J View Post
Ha, I had a sound like that in my '16 Mazda3. It wasn't constant, but there was one particular bump on one particular road where it happened more often than not. In my mind, it sounded like an inadequate shock mount. But it was so infrequent, I really didn't think about it much unless I happened to be going over that particular bump dropping the kiddo off.

So anyway, eventually I had my 3 dropped with new springs and shocks. I never even thought about it until I happened to go over that bump a few times and I was like, "hey, I don't hear that sound anymore." and for the remaining 25k miles I had the car, I never heard that sound again.

So in conclusion, there was definitely something amiss with the stock suspension that seemed to be fixed when I put the Eibachs/Konis in. Now that said, that doesn't mean that I couldn't have taken it to the dealership and it may had been as simple as them tightening some bolts, who knows? But I say all of that to show you, in fact, you are not crazy. While not the exact same problem, I'm hopeful it's an easy fix for you

Hmm interesting thought, Chazzy....videos of bad strut mounts I'm watching online sound very similar to my noise.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 02:42 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
This is really interesting, I've noticed a knocking noise in my 2017 GT from the passenger front corner since new when going over specific speed bumps or dips in the road on my commute. Can't replicate it when approaching similar bumps from the driver front corner...
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hmm interesting thought, Chazzy....videos of bad strut mounts I'm watching online sound very similar to my noise.
Yeah, hopefully it's that simple mate. Nothing worse than having a new car be anything less than perfect -- I've lived that story before myself. Especially when it's a car brand you trust and have come to love...keep us posted if they're able to find the issue

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzy J View Post
Yeah, hopefully it's that simple mate. Nothing worse than having a new car be anything less than perfect -- I've lived that story before myself. Especially when it's a car brand you trust and have come to love...keep us posted if they're able to find the issue

Ohhh I've owned a lemon VW GTI, so this is nothing.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post
This is really interesting, I've noticed a knocking noise in my 2017 GT from the passenger front corner since new when going over specific speed bumps or dips in the road on my commute. Can't replicate it when approaching similar bumps from the driver front corner...

Interesting indeed! I bet it's the same noise!
Think you can get a video of the sound?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
It caught my ear on the very first drive with it but thought it was just me not being familiar with the new car.

Did you watch the video? Can you hear the noise I am talking about? And...most importantly...am I nuts?
Actually hadn't listened to it , but after sampling it I will say that i hear a similar sound on my car when the suspension fully compresses (hitting a pothole for instance). My guess is your hitting the bump stops.

2016 Mazda 6 iGT Meteor Gray w/Tech ("I'm Batman!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav

Last edited by ocramida; 05-30-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page