Mazda 6 Forums banner

It's finally time for new brakes!

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  SVShootingStar 
#1 ·
So my 2014 6GT just turned 32,000 miles and I've decided it's time for a rotor and pad replacement in all 4 corners. Going back to OEM is out of the question, I just won't do it.

I've been doing a lot of searching on this forum but at this time I'm looking for recommendations on rotor and pad combos that won't break the bank. I don't track the car, but who does? It's simply an vehicle I use to and from work with light duty on weekends but I am hard on the brakes so it will need to withstand some abuse.

I'm looking for some recommendations on rotor and pad combos and where to buy them. I'm looking for blank rotors only, no slotted or cross drilled rotors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
Well disregard. I pulled the trigger on centric premium rotors and posi-quiet ceramic pads. I got the whole set for $234 shipped from Auto Anything

I went w/ the same except I got the drilled rotors. Still have yet to install them as I'm waiting until the OEM pad/rotors are completely toast which surprisingly hasn't happened yet and I'm at 51k.

When I went to have my tires rotated they said that my front pads had over 30% left on them, but somehow the rears were literally about to be metal on metal.

I'm exactly sure how my rears are getting worn so much faster than my fronts, is that typical on this car....has anyone had this issue as well?

#5 ·
Nah...:lol: Wasn't too concerned with it. Anything was better than the warped OEM ones I was running on haha. Got mine from Rockauto and I've never had an issue with their sales.

I've had to stop pretty hard a few times since putting them on and they've been great for the price. I also baby my brakes though so I'm not one to discuss how well they really perform under stress.

#9 ·
Remember that for the 16+ or 6's with eBrake they are no after market pads available yet and u need to pay the $112 for OEM pads..

Also I had to lube three time already the rear pins .. which seem to dry out all the time. I actually will open them tomorrow again to see if they have more lube missing.

The shoes are all good.. Tested and lubed them as well every time.

#10 · (Edited)
Hmmm.... check (carefully!) the little seal boots. And what grease are you using? The only stuff you SHOULD be using is a specific synthetic formula brake grease for those pins -- that stuff does NOT dry out. This is what you're looking for (most auto parts stores should have it): https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...1-_-permatex&gclid=CKjX-_vQ8dICFYE9gQodYTMK8A

DO NOT use a lithium-based grease (most auto and bearing-style greases) for this application; those formulas cannot take the heat that even moderate braking puts on them. The above stuff does and will; provided your caliper pin seal boots are ok that stuff should be good for the life the pads. I've been using it for a long time and in fact grab it for all sorts of not-car related must-not-dry-out applications (e.g. panel board face plate screws on my dock, where corrosion is a REAL problem due to salt air exposure.) A tiny bit of it on the threads and you'll be able to get that screw out after 4 or 5 years without a problem.

Just re-did the rears on my kid's VW Jetta about two weeks ago; the grease on the slider pins was still serviceable. I cleaned out the bores and pins of course and re-lubricated them, but they were still sliding fine and the wear on the pads was even with no evidence of either caliper hanging up.

#11 ·
Well I got my brake parts delivered yesterday and installed them today. My wife's uncle has a lift in his pole barn so I was able to use that to do the job. It took me about 3 hours to do it.

Some of the rear caliper bolts were really stuck but I was able get them loose with a lot of PB Blaster and persuasion. The job was fairly simple, the only issues I encountered were the piston boots on the brake calipers. On the fronts and tears once the pistons were pushed in the boots expanded and bulged around the piston. All of them were able to go back to normal with alittle finesse with the exception of the front drivers side. I had to put it back together with the boot slightly bulged out on one side making sure not to get it caught on the piston. Hopefully it just went back to normal after the brakes were applied for the first time.

The caliper slide pins all looks good. The seals were intact so no grease needed to be added. They were all pretty stiff but once I pushed them and twisted them a few times they loosened up and got the grease flowing inside. I'm not even sure how grease would be added to these without breaking the seal.

Overall a fairly straight forward job and so far I'm loving the brakes. I did a proper bed in procedure so they should be good to go.

#12 ·
Just returning from having a couple weeks of vacation and was able to get my brakes changed.

Had the Stop-tech cross-drilled w/ the posi-quiet pads installed on all four corners. I haven't had to do any sudden hard braking as of yet, but the feel is great and I can definitely tell there is improved stopping power.

Of course if you're not a car nut, noticing the upgraded brakes isn't something the average person would ever recognize but w/ that said, they look great as well.

I forget the total cost of the parts (I bought everything from rockauto), but my mechanic only charged me $175 (no tax!!) to install everything so it was a great deal!

#13 ·
My 2014 6 has 34k miles. I had a fair amount of shimmy in the wheel even during normal braking. The pads had about 25% left so today I replaced my front rotors and pads with Centric Premium rotors and Posi-Quiet pads from Auto Parts Warehouse. The rotors were not easy to get off. The threaded hole for a release bolt didn't work as the bolt sheared off. Plan B became a pry bar wedged between the old rotor and hub. This worked remarkably well, and after a couple of well placed wacks they popped right off. After a thorough bed-in procedure (60-20 mph 8-10 times with sufficient cool down in between) everything is perfect! I will probably flush the brake fluid in the coming month. Any recommendations on brake fluid?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.