Mazda 6 Forums banner

2015 Mazda 6 No rear pads from EBC

11K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  Minh Van Tran 
#1 ·
So I ordered the stage 4 brake kit from CARiD:

EBC® S4KF1663 - Mazda 6 Grand Touring / GS / GT / GX / Sport / Touring 2015 Stage 4 Signature Front Brake Kit

Back then I ordered the EBC red stuff rear pads from CARiD and it turns out it does not fit the 2015 Mazda 6. I forgot what the part number from EBC it was but I had to return it, now fast forward 6 months later I want to give it another try, I do see on CARiD's website that they have the rear pads available. Which is part number DP31766C:

EBC® - Mazda 6 Grand Touring / GS / GT / GX / Sport / Touring 2015 Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pads

SO I searched the part number for DP31766C and I see from other sites that it only fits on 2014 Mazda 6:

EBC DP31766C Redstuff Ceramic Rear Brake Pads Fit Ford Fusion Fit Mazda 6 | eBay

If the rear pads from 2014 to 2015 really different? I already have the EBC front slotted rotors ordered with front red stuff pads. If the rear pad fitment for the 2015 and 2015, is truly different what are the best pads to use for really hard mountain driving?

I know this might be over kill for a Mazda 6 but I drive this car pretty hard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOuy4WqgBLw

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
So I talked to an EBC rep they let me know that the only parts that fit the Mazda 6 is the EBC Green Stuff 2000 Series.

Also non of their rotors are compatible to the 3rd gens either...

Here is the convo I had with them if you are insteresed:

[Alex] Hello, how can I help you?
[Minh] Do you guys have the red stuff for a 2015 mazda 6 rear
[Alex] those pads have not been released in the US yet
[Minh] The reason why i ask is I ordered a pair 6 months ago and they did not fit
[Minh] I ordered them from CARiD
[Alex] only the GreenStuff pads are available for that vehicle
[Minh] Hmm
[Minh] how about front red stuff?
[Alex] not available
[Alex] what did car ID sell you?
[Alex] what is the part number?
[Minh] I forgot it was a while ago
[Minh] Stage 4 Signature Front Brake Kit more details on - EBC® S4KF1663 - Mazda 6 Grand Touring / GS / GT / GX / Sport / Touring 2015 Stage 4 Signature Front Brake Kit
[Minh] I just ordered this
[Minh] but then I am reluctant to order the rear
[Minh] EBC® - Mazda 6 Grand Touring / GS / GT / GX / Sport / Touring 2015 Redstuff Ceramic Low Dust Brake Pads
[Minh] If you click on product option Grand Touring you will see an option for rear pads "DP31766C"
[Alex] the redstuff pads are not available for front nor rear
[Alex] that part number works on the 2009-2013 models
[Minh] OMFG so... I will have to cancel it... WTF
[Alex] not the 2014 and up models
[Alex] yes
[Alex] they will not fit your vehicle.
[Minh] why do these guys say they have it then?
[Minh] SO FRUSTRATING!
[Alex] 2015 Mazda 6, the ONLY thing available is the GreenStuff 2000 series
[Alex] no other pads, no rotors
[Minh] What is strang eis I called PepBoys and they claim to have it as well...
[Minh] Both rear and fronts...
[Minh] So the rotor I have bought before and it seems to fit...
[Minh] I just returned it because the rear pad didn't fit
[Alex] it shouldn't it should be too large
[Alex] the specs show the older model being 11.8" in diameter
[Minh] Sigh... I want to cry...
[Alex] and the new 2014 and up use an 11.7"
[Alex] sorry…
[Alex] give them a call and have them cancel the order
[Minh] Okay...
[Minh] so hmmm
[Alex] because they will hold onto your money
[Minh] Can you give me the model number of the green stuff?
[Alex] and not be able to ship out anything or ship out the incorrect pads and rotors
[Alex] Front - DP22170 & Rear - DP22171
[Minh] Thanks!

#8 ·
I just spoke to EBC USA over the phone and what they told me was interesting considering the convo above that the OP had with a sales rep.

They told me:

RedStuff Pads
Only FRONT RedStuff pads are actually manufactured for 2014 & Up Mazda 6. The REAR part number has been announced but they haven't had enough orders yet to actually put it into production.

Part numbers are as follows (take note of these because these are for FRONT & REAR):

FRONTS: DP32170C
REARS: DP32171C

Keep in mind you CAN PURCHASE the FRONTS directly from EBC USA if you like and THEY WILL FIT 2014 Mazda 6 & Up. They confirmed this to me over the phone and said they have them in stock. BUT they haven't had enough orders for the REARS yet so EBC hasn't put them into production. Even if they had enough orders it would take EBC approx. 6 months to 1 year until the parts were available to ship.

GreenStuff
Both FRONTS & REARS are available for 2014 Mazda 6 and up.

Part Numbers are as follows:

Front DP22170
Rear DP22171

These have been confirmed and are available to ship.

YellowStuff
Both FRONTS & REARS are available for 2014 Mazda 6 and up.

Part Numbers are as follows:

Front DP42170R
Rears DP42171R

This has been confirmed as the part number matches the 2016 Catalog and is currently in stock at EBC USA.

Now my question is as follows, since only the front redstuffs are available, do you purchase those and combine it with whatever you have on in the rears now? (considering this changes the characteristics of the car under braking)

or do you go with greenstuff/yellowstuff/posi-quiets.... if anyone can chime in that would be great. Thanks!

#3 ·
CarID are not professional enough to know what they sell and whether they really fit. To add insult to the injury, showing products as in-stock doesn't mean they are, it's a dodgy mean trap to get you order their products, and then they enjoy torturing you to wait months as what they did to me.

They are so obnoxiously bold to say that your ordered items fit your vehicle, because at the end of this it's you are the one who suffers from ordering the wrong item (you lose time and money).

I ordered two EBC rotors, and found out the hard way that the rear ones don't fit. They challenged me that the rear ones they sold me fit the US Mazdas, which was really funny. They don't know that all Mazda 6's rotors are made equal for all markets.

For me, buying from CarID was an awful experience, and I ask God to forgive me that sin.

#4 ·
Thought I'd chime in - not sure exactly what's correct but on EBC's USA AUTOMOTIVE catalog the RedStuff's are listed for 2014 Mazda 6 and Up

Front: DP32170C
Rear: DP32171C

USA_Automotive_Catalogue_2016

If you go through you'll be able to find it for the Mazda 6 2.5L (2014 & Up)

I cross referenced this part number with authorized online retailers of EBC in the US and it seems to match up. I'm ordering these for my 2014 6 will let you know how to install goes.

#6 · (Edited)
Wait... they literally DO NOT EXIST????

I just placed an order on Ultrarev.com which is listed on EBC's website as an reseller of EBC parts. Online it showed they had those exact parts in stock.

I'll see what happens.... worst comes to worst they'll contact me and tell me they do not have it.

I've sent EBC an email. If the greenstuffs are the only ones they make for the '14 & up Mazda 6's are they better than posi-quiets?

#9 ·
Careful mixing pad types. You can do it, but you need to drive the car under hard-braking conditions where you have known positive control of the outcome before you trust that setup whether on the street or otherwise to understand how that combination behaves. You might be ok with it, but you also might not.

Yes, you have ABS, but remember that what ABS will do is kill the channels that lock up first by pulsing them. This is GOOD (for most people; I can out-brake an ABS system and so can most other people if they put in the time and experience to train your foot/brain connection to modulate the pedal for best effect) if the problem is traction loss on one wheel due to oil, gravel, etc. It's BAD if the problem is a pad mismatch that leads to a material difference in stopping power as it will extend stopping distances under hard braking conditions -- and maybe by a lot, ESPECIALLY if you are experienced and try to stay just out of the ABS zone, which is exactly where you want to be if you're good AND the brakes are properly-balanced.

BTW I just checked shopebcbrakes.com, which is allegedly the US site, and only the Yellow Stuff pads came up in BOTH front and rears. Greens are available in fronts only from what I can see.

I'd like reds, but they simply can't be had for both axles at present.

#11 ·
Yeah, that's what I was hinting at by saying it would change the braking characteristics of the vehicle. However, I have done it in the past when my OEM pads wore out in the front I changed those and waited to change the rears. Car seemed to be ok. But yes running different pads between front and rear has certain possible risks involved as you mentioned.

I just checked EBC's online store as well and you're right the greenstuff rears are not listed. That is very strange since the rep on the phone assured me that they were currently in stock for both front and rears.

I will look into it further, however, if it becomes more of an issue I'll just go with the posiquiets.

#10 ·
You can use different pads front & rear. They wear at different rates anyways, with the fronts wearing out quicker. You can continue to use what you have in the rear now, till they're worn out.

I'd go with the Posi-Quiets, since they're a ceramic mix like the Redstuff is. I've had good results with the Posi-Quiets on my previous car, a Subaru WRX. Use those for the rear.

#12 ·
I have the PosiQuiet's on my car and they're ok. They don't have as much initial bite as I'd like but their ultimate stopping power is ok, and they're superior in fade resistance to what came on the car from the factory (which was pretty bad, actually.)

I've gotten them QUITE hot and while they faded a bit they were pretty good.

#13 ·
Good to know. The first time I changed my pads were @30K miles I went from OEM to Raybestos and resurfaced stock rotors which was one of the biggest mistakes IMO. There is 0 initial bite and it takes a lot to get the car to slow down.

Now I'm at 55K miles and the pads are still doing fine, but I simply cannot bare it anymore. I'm going to replace all 4 rotors with StopTech Sport Drilled, was hoping that RedStuff pads were available for front and rear. Now that I know they aren't I might just go with GreenStuff. Or do redstuff front and greenstuff rear.

#14 ·
I'm around 75k on my car and roughly ~20k on the PosiCentrics with the slotted (NOT drilled!) rotors. The Posi's were not very impressive out of the box, even with my rather aggressive bedding protocol being followed, but they got (quite a bit!) better after a couple thousand miles. I've had to use them in anger a few times and have taken a number of "spirited" trips through twisty stuff on them since and have no reason to swap them out at present.

The biggest issue on these cars is that there's no cooling airflow to speak of in the wheel wells due to all the aero attention. People bitch about the stock setup being really bad on fade and that's why it happens. Due to the lack of airflow once the brakes get hot they stay hot for far longer than vehicles without all that attention to the aero and none paid to brake cooling. There's not really much you can do about that either without performing some moderate surgery, which is why I was interested in the Yellowstuff pads as they have (much) superior fade resistance when hot. If I was interested in maximizing brake performance where it really matters (e.g. on a track, etc) I'd pull the fogs and duct air from the blanking plates (after drilling them out) to the front part of the wheel well skirt strategically aimed at the rotors. That would make a BIG difference provided you've got some forward speed in terms of keeping things reasonable.

Just be aware that mixing pads is potentially dangerous, especially on a front-drive car, as if your front locks up first you're going to actually increase stopping distance instead of improving it and there's no power option available to get through or around the situation as there sometimes is with an RWD vehicle. If I was going to go with EBC I think I'd do the Greenstuff all the way around although the Posi's are ok and I'm probably going to keep them until and unless the Yellowstuff pads show up for the rears, at which point I'll swap all-around for those.

#15 ·
I was talking to someone who drives a 2012 WRX and they are running the posi's and said it was an ok pad but wanted something with a bit more bite. The YellowStuffs are AVAILABLE for both front and rear I confirmed this yesterday and they are available on EBC's website as well.

EBCBrakes | EBC Yellowstuff Brakes For 1991 Yugo GV DP4116R Shop EBC Brakes offers Free Ground Shipping on Brake Orders over $50.00!

I've crosschecked the part number with EBC over the phone and it's in stock front and rear. Would you say the YellowStuffs are better options than the GreenStuffs?

I do mostly street driving with the very occasional mountain drive. But my street driving is spirited to say the least. I considered the YellowStuff but I was worried that I wouldn't be driving fast enough to generate enough heat to have the pads at optimum.

#16 · (Edited)
When I last checked the YellowStuff pads were unobtanium on for the 2014+ Mazdas, but it sure appears they're in stock here on that link. Hmmmm...... I might have to pick up a set and see what I think. I can swap 'em in an hour or so; it's not very hard to do at all on these cars.

The PosiQuiets are decent but like I said, not quite enough initial bite for my taste and they do have some fade (but nowhere near what stock does.) My previous experience with Yellowstuffs, however, is that they have very good bite when cold and do not have fade issues until you boil the fluid (if you go that far you're in big trouble irrespective of your pads!) you're going to get some noise and materially more dust; the Centrics are also very dust-friendly as well as quiet, so it's a question of how you weigh the alternatives (never mind price; the EBCs are more expensive as well.)

The noise issue is one that ultimately drove me away from a higher-performance pad on my Jetta although those were Akembos and not EBCs; while they had amazing bite and were basically fade-proof they DID squeal at low speeds even once fully broken-in and it was annoying enough that I decided it wasn't worth keeping them on the car. To a large degree this is application-specific with a given brand of pad, so it might not be an issue with the EBCs, but it's something to be aware of -- there is always a trade-off, and when it comes to pads and initial bite + fade resistance it usually comes in the dust+noise department.

#19 ·
I've been trying to do research on the yellowstuff pads and see what people are saying for street use and I'm finding people on both ends of the spectrum.

on the IS forums this guy said the yellowstuffs are an excellent street pad
EBC YellowStuff brake pad REVIEW - Lexus IS Forum

on the WRX forums this guy said the yellowstuffs are an ok street pad but mainly for track use
EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pads - my review & thoughts

I'm lost as to what I should get. If you end up getting the yellowstuffs let me know how they perform. Otherwise until the redstuffs come out for the rears the greenstuffs may be the safest bet.

#20 ·
This is almost every single drive up the mountains, I changed to DOT 4 with a flush and it helped a lot but dude the rotors fade quick...

This is with a Greenstuff setup.

I am just convinced that this car is not going to do what I want it to but yet again it's not meant for mountain hard driving...

I am actually considering a 2017 WRX...

Attachments

#21 ·
Minh Van Tran,

That's insane how hot you got those rotors!
Did you ever swap out to Redstuff pads?
I'm guessing Yellowstuff is what you'd need with that type of driving.
I watched your video and it's the first I've seen actually showing the rotating headlights. Pretty cool.

For everyone that's curious about mixing EBC's pads for front and rear:

Redstuff Ceramic Brake Pads

Attachments

#22 ·
I had initially ordered the EBC Greenstuff pads for front and rear but I waited 3 weeks and EBC had still not shipped them out... they were "waiting on pads to be shipped from UK" each week they told me it would arrive the next week and I had enough. So...

I picked up Power Stop z23 pads front and rear along with Stop Tech Cross Drilled Rotors and changed out the brake fluid to dot 4. Overall I am much much happier with the pads... I have done some mountain driving with it and they hold up pretty well but there is fade after aggressive/long braking.

I think considering how small the rotors are on this car this is probably the best you can get... @Minh Van Tran the type of driving/abuse you give to the brakes you'll probably be better off getting a WRX as you mentioned... Don't think the Mazda 6 was designed to put up with that type of driving lol

#23 ·
I had initially ordered the EBC Greenstuff pads for front and rear but I waited 3 weeks and EBC had still not shipped them out... they were "waiting on pads to be shipped from UK" each week they told me it would arrive the next week and I had enough. So...

I picked up Power Stop z23 pads front and rear along with Stop Tech Cross Drilled Rotors and changed out the brake fluid to dot 4. Overall I am much much happier with the pads... I have done some mountain driving with it and they hold up pretty well but there is fade after aggressive/long braking.

I think considering how small the rotors are on this car this is probably the best you can get... @Minh Van Tran the type of driving/abuse you give to the brakes you'll probably be better off getting a WRX as you mentioned... Don't think the Mazda 6 was designed to put up with that type of driving lol
Tushar,

Geez.... Who did you try ordering the EBC parts through??
I'm probably just going with autoanything for redstuff front pads and RK rotors until someone's verified the rears are readily in stock.

#27 ·
These are the pads that I put on the car. Saved the boxes to show the stock pads to the stealership and ask "which one was dangerously low" and "unsafe to continue with for long"...

Box on the left is the rears. Notice the tab locations. These are for the Mazda 3 rear calipers on the 6. That was my issue. The ones on the right, the fronts.

Attachments

#29 ·
Myself. It was easy. There is a thread here I think (http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda-6-3rd-generation-2013-present/369266-2014-brake-pads-rotors.html) and I read that. I bought the caliper tool on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Neiko®-20733...474482290&sr=8-3&keywords=disc+brake+tool+kit) as I gave the thing I had before away with the last car that needed it and it was simple.

I did one corner at a time, floor jack under A arm. I didn't open the Master cylinder, just took my time pushing the calipers in. Only removed one bolt, lower usually, and rotated the caliper up. The tool made it simple to push / twist in rear the caliper back and put the pads in.

All in all, about an hour to do the whole car. I only did the pads. Dealer had confirmed I had life left in the rotors.

Completed in the driveway, by myself. So simple. Remember to pull the parking brake up before driving off multiple times to ratchet the rear pads in, and I pumped the pedal a couple times at a stop, then went out to test drive. Bedding the pads in, so much fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.