Mazda 6 Forums banner

[GB Interest] Drilled/Slotted/Zinc Coated Brake Rotors

31K views 183 replies 40 participants last post by  nobouncecap 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so my 6 is at about 25k mi and I'm getting some mild vibration on braking. Instead of taking it in to get re-surfaced, I figured I'd get new rotors altogether.

A little background about myself. I work for a company that sells and produces parts as well as fabricating for and modifying cars. We specialize in mostly Japanese cars but more specifically: Nissans, Datsuns and Infiniti's. We run a few eBay stores and a stand-alone website and a shop to do all the dirty work.

Recently, we've been producing brake rotors for our track-duty and spirited-driving customers. This piqued my interest, so I inquired. We're regularly using slotted, drilled and zinc-anodized rotors on our customers' cars.

This led me to an idea. What if I could test a set for our cars?

Would anybody be interested?

To give you an idea of pricing, here's what's available on the market:

EBC Sport Rotors (which are the only drilled/slotted/zinc rotors out for our cars (to my knowledge)) run about $260/pair for the front and $120/pair for the rear. So before shipping, about $380 for a set.

I ran some prices today and the lowest we could go is $340 plus shipping.

But I'd wanna help the Mazda community (I'm a die-hard Mazda fan-boy hehe), so forum-members-only pricing would be at $300 shipped with local pickup in SoCal a little less.

Lemme know what you guys think. If anything I'll just rock em on my 6 anyway haha.

*UPDATES*

-Options will be:

1) Set of 4 rotors - any combination of slotted/drilled/dimple-drilled/blank - $300
2) Set of 4 rotors + set of 4 Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic Pads - $360

-Link to a DIY is post #34 on page 4 (update within an update, here's a shortcut link)

-Group Buy list starts with post #51 on page 6

-1st Group Buy has ended

-2nd Group Buy has ended

-3rd Group Buy starts on PAGE 14

**Please feel free to contact me with special requests or urgent orders. I can accommodate most, if not all, requests.**

See less See more
#28 ·
I have a dumb question. Do your rotors perform better than OEM without slot/drill? I'd be interested, even if I have to pay the entire $300 to get a set of blanks, only if they perform better than stock. It's a complete overkill for 180hp family sedan to ride on drilled/slotted as a daily driver. Blank rotors with better internal cooling design like Brembo uses vs stock is the way to go.
but that's my opinion and isn't worth 2 cents :)

#5 ·
I am definitely interested. So I could get a set of these slotted and not drilled right?

Also let us know how those EBC Brake pads fit, I am dubious of them because they show up for 2014 mazda6's but not 2015. I am wondering if it is an accidental extra year that EBC added on from 2nd gen 6's.

Also I assume your track-driving customers are happy with these rotors? :)

#6 ·
Yes. Matter of fact. I might just opt for non drilled. Seems like drilled rotors are more prone to cracking, at least according to this forum.

I actually had the same thought about the EBC's so I made sure to only search for 2015-2016 Mazda 6 pads. I have a couple of item numbers but I'll report fitment back after I get em. Probably not till the start of the next month.

Also I might even put together a forum-only package price for rotors+pads if there is enough interest. I'm getting them for a reasonable price and it wouldn't be too hard to squeeze em into the same box as the rotors for shipping purposes.

And yes. I was hesitant at first because I knew nothing of our rotor's longevity but after some intense track sessions, I'm pretty confident with them. Enough to stick em on my LA commuter 6 haha.

#7 ·
I'm down. Count me in as well. The only issue is that I live in Toronto, Canada. I don't know how much shipping (if you can do it) will cost you. I just got my '16 but I wouldn't mind testing it. I might keep it till mine gives up.

#8 ·
I would also definitely be interested in some slotted rotors for my 2014. I'm at 36K miles and yeah the rotors definitely do not feel as smooth anymore. I do also drive somewhat aggressively for a fair amount of time. That pricing sounds awesome. Let us know how they turn out!

#12 ·
I saw that too. That's for Gen 2. The 2014 option you see is for late-model Gen2 2013 6's.

After working with listing parts online for so many years, I've come to discover that unless you're a die-hard, model-specific car guy, you'll mess up compatible years quite often. I'm assuming that's what they did instead of clarifying it by stopping the compatibility at 2013.

#13 ·
Just received info that our rotors, drilled, are dimple-drilled, not cross-drilled. As a result, these should be impervious to cracking.

After reading up on other forums about cross-drilling, I'd be a bit weary of that too, even though I don't track my car.

In any case, to quell any concerns, I'll be buying a set first and testing it with some intense bedding procedures hehe.

#15 ·
That's what I'm going for. Slotted/Drilled/Zinc anno'd. I was hoping to put the order in today but we got backed up so it might wait until Monday.

But yeah we'll offer a slotted/drilled/zinc version and a slotted/zinc version as well for anybody that doesn't feel comfy with the drilled option.

And eventually, we'll package with pads. I've heard good things about the EBC redstuff in terms of dust and fade so I'm ordering a set for myself to test out the combo.

#17 ·
Foot. In. Mouth.

Yeah they're cheaper. Cross-drilled but cheaper. And looks to be compatible with the GJ as well.

You could get those, I suppose. I'd still like to go with slots, zinc anno and dimpled rotors instead of cross-drilled rotors, though.

So for anybody that's interested, I'll be reporting back my findings next week.

#18 ·
furiousbob. You can count me in. I am very interested in the the brakes that are mentioned in this forum. I do alot of hard breaking and have noticed vibration and lots of break fade. I recently took a road trip and was able to drive up to 120 mph for a fair amount of time. It made me question the integrity of my brakes as I was able to sense break loss when breaking hard. I would love to test the quality of these breaks and hopefully finding them suitable for my driving. My car is currently stock.

#36 ·
I recently took a road trip and was able to drive up to 120 mph for a fair amount of time. It made me question the integrity of my brakes as I was able to sense break loss when breaking hard.
How many times? You shouldn't see any loss in braking ability stopping once from high speed, even with stock pads and rotors. Brake fade isn't going to set in until 4-5 repeated high speed stops. Not sure how long these pads take to fade as I don't know what mazda puts on these cars at the factory, but still, it should give you enough for at least a few high speed stops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.