Brake + Rotors question - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 2nd Generation (2009-2012) > Suspension / Brakes
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Brake + Rotors question

Hey guys, I'm pretty damn stupid when it comes to inner workings of cars, so I was hoping you guys can help me out here regarding brakes.

My front brakepads are wearing out and I need to change them . The dealer brought to my attention they would also need to check the rotors, and if it may need to be replaced. I keep doing research on this, and I can't get a definitive answer on how likely is it that I have to change the rotors?.

I have 60000km on it right now (37282.3 miles) and I rarely ever have to brake hard. Usually drive pretty casually... so I don't see how i would damage the rotors.

Thanks!

ALSO! how much have you guys been charged for this job? I'm getting $450 CAD+tax for the dealership. (if i do it elsewhere, I might be trying out ebc pads...and some other rotor [any suggestions?])..
alphaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,094 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts

I suggest doin the brakes yourself to save some cash. If you feel up to the task here is a good DIY.

Id go with the EBC pads personally. Rotors id change too. They are cheap.

Where in Canada are you located??

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Mr.Smoke is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

The quote you got from the stealership, just for brakes is too much.With that money,you can buy,almost top of the line parts,and just do it yourself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide App
K&N CAI,Magnaflow exhaust,HID driving & fog lights,DoubleDin stereo with NAV,VIS carbon fiber hood,Autoexe grill & lip,Motegui 18' rims with Hankook tires,speed6 brakes,Steel braided lines,TB coolant bipass,TB grounded,PKE alarm system,Mazdaspeed short shifter
elemento_74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smoke View Post
I suggest doin the brakes yourself to save some cash. If you feel up to the task here is a good DIY.

Id go with the EBC pads personally. Rotors id change too. They are cheap.

Where in Canada are you located??

I'm in vancouver. I wanna confirm that the dealership's quote is for rotors and brake pads + installation.

I'm no good when it comes to DIY, I eff far too many of my diy projects up.
What rotors do you suggest ? Ive seen some good reviews on the EBC pads (especially redstuff)
Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

You can do the rotors/brakes yourself, but you need to have the right equipment. Here in the US you can buy a set of brakes for about $60 and a rotor each for about the same price, bringing the parts cost to $180. If you want EBC pads and specialty rotors, the cost goes more. Then add labor.

If you have time on your hands, you can replace them yourself. Ask yourself whether your time is worth the savings.
2006 6s 5-dr gray, AEM SRI- Magnaflow exhaust- Kazera KZ-D 18x7.5- Bilstein shocks/HR springs- AWR endlinks- Stoptech rotors, Hawk brake pads- Neo chrome vanadium lug nuts- AGM battery- Blue: calipers; interior LED lights; footwell lighting; LED ribbon trunk lights; instrument cluster gauge- Stubby antenna- Titanium Burl wood panels- NGX Platinum plugs- Tein hood damper- Greddy air diversion plate
ydrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,094 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default Brake + Rotors question

The only special tool needed is the proper tool to turn in the piston on rear calipers. Besides that, a jack, stands, wrenches & sockets are basically all you need.

I bought raybestos pads & 4 rotors for my wifes car. Came to $250 or something like that. Brakes are a really simple maintenance thing that i think everybody should learn.

Got any mechanically oriented friends willing to help out? Beer is always a good persuader

Mr.Smoke is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ya. For fronts on my Speed6 my local dealership gave me a quote $550 for pads and rotors. I did it with Hawk pads and Weinhere (sp?) rotors for $250 in Ontario
Snowtrax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Let us not forget the DeWalt Drill and 1/2" bit for the frozen screws!
You'll need to bleed the brakes too so you need a helper! Let us know if you're up for the task - but short answer is no - those miles should not require "NEW" rotors if you never stop from 70mph. Mine is a different story!

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here: FSM, MIL/CEL codes, P030X solved, Links to V6 threads
Final Impact is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Learners License

I'll give you guys the disappointing no answer for being up to the task. However, I'll do my best to find a cheaper alternative to the dealer's. Unfortunately I've asked two different mechanics so far, and they've both quoted me with similar pricing.. I don't even think they'd be using oem parts, so thats a major nono. One of them said he can't even switch brake pads without switching rotors. I don't know it's hard to find someone reliable to do this stuff here.

Also mr smoke, I wish I had friends that could help. I'd totally be more inclined to try more DIY stuff hahaha. Thanks everyone for your help. Oh Lastly, does anyone have any suggestions for reliable rotors? I've seen a bit about the raybesto but where can I look into that? I can't seem to find them.

thanks!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

If $450 includes set of new rotors, new pads, and labor, then you might as well go for it. Some shops give you a hard time about putting in aftermarket parts you bought yourself. Understandable, as you may have bought the wrong parts. Some shops will reuse your old rotors by shaving the surfaces - it's faster and costs just the same to put on new ones. You might be able to get away with reusing the old rotors without cutting them, but it's not recommended.
2006 6s 5-dr gray, AEM SRI- Magnaflow exhaust- Kazera KZ-D 18x7.5- Bilstein shocks/HR springs- AWR endlinks- Stoptech rotors, Hawk brake pads- Neo chrome vanadium lug nuts- AGM battery- Blue: calipers; interior LED lights; footwell lighting; LED ribbon trunk lights; instrument cluster gauge- Stubby antenna- Titanium Burl wood panels- NGX Platinum plugs- Tein hood damper- Greddy air diversion plate
ydrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.