How to: 2nd Gen Brake Pad Replacement - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 2nd Generation (2008-2013) > Suspension / Brakes
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default How to: 2nd Gen Brake Pad Replacement

Let's face it, the OEM brake pads are DUSTY. Today I will be installing ceramic brake pads (Autozone's Duralast Gold, lifetime pads). Did this while also installing lowering springs. The brake pads are quick and straightforward.

Tools needed:

14mm wrench/socket
narrow 17mm wrench or narrow pliers
C-clamp
Needle-nose pliers or special tool for turning back rear pistons
Brake quiet, I use the spray on kind for the back of pads/shims and the pink goopy kind for the tabs

1. Remove wheel

2. Prepare new pads with spray on disc quiet. This is supposed to set for 10 minutes before putting them on so do this step now.

3. Remove two 14mm bolts on top and bottom of caliper assembly, slide off.

Front:

Rear:

4. Remove old pads. The fronts have clips on them for pulling the pads away from the rotor when disengaged. Remember to reinstall these when you put the new pads on.

5. Put brake quiet goop around the tabs of the new pads and slide into place.

6. Retract pistons to fit around new pads. The front require a c-clamp, you want to push the piston back until its flush with the surrounding housing.
The rears need to be turned to retract, I used needle-nose pliers although I know there is a special tool for this. I think I remember you need to turn them clockwise (opposite the direction my intuition told me). You will want one of those notches you used to turn the piston to line up with the little round button on the back of the pad when putting the piston back on or else the piston with come in contact with that button instead of sitting fully against the pad as it should.

Front:

Rear:

7. Replace piston assembly to proper location and reinstall the two 14mm bolts. You may need to hold the nut on the slide with a 17mm wrench or pliers as you tighten the bolts as they may otherwise just spin the whole thing and not tighten. However if your wrench is too wide you won't be able to tighten it all the way without getting your wrench stuck. I used needle nosed pliers at the end to get the bolts fully tightened.

8. Reinstall wheel.

9. Repeat.

10. Enjoy your clean wheels (if installing ceramic pads).
Attached Thumbnails
How to: 2nd Gen Brake Pad Replacement-img_0154s.jpg   How to: 2nd Gen Brake Pad Replacement-img_0197s.jpg   How to: 2nd Gen Brake Pad Replacement-img_0160s.jpg   How to: 2nd Gen Brake Pad Replacement-img_0161s.jpg   How to: 2nd Gen Brake Pad Replacement-img_0162s.jpg  

How to: 2nd Gen Brake Pad Replacement-img_0163s.jpg   How to: 2nd Gen Brake Pad Replacement-img_0198s.jpg   How to: 2nd Gen Brake Pad Replacement-img_0216s.jpg   How to: 2nd Gen Brake Pad Replacement-img_0227s.jpg   How to: 2nd Gen Brake Pad Replacement-img_0226s.jpg  

DZ09M6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DZ09M6 For This Useful Post:
bserra19 (03-07-2012), Lococrzy (11-28-2011), loufrankel (02-28-2012), MazdaGuyAZ (12-10-2012), Mz6GreyGhost (04-24-2011), nishul (08-20-2013), richard p (11-06-2013), romajr86 (06-28-2011), smallxii (04-16-2011), wilson9791 (09-04-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

thanks for posting this. i was planning on posting a diy as i am doing my brakes Tuesday but you beat me to it.. thanks again!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to LukeG12

Perfect. I love it. I did mine this past weekend too, it was a fairly easy process. Except for removing the rotors. The Philips screws can be a bit of a PITA.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts

Stickied. Thanks again for some good info!

Injen SP Intake | Tinted Sidemarkers | H9 3000K Fogs | 6000K HighBeams | Triton V3 Switchbacks | Full LED Taillamps
"Then he takes out a cigar and enjoys the ride" - Byakuya
Mz6GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do brake lines need to be removed ? The video on YouTube
suggests so. Any comments ?
Also the video says that the caliper has to slide sidewise on the lower pin,
which obviously contradicts to the above photos. What is the truth ?
2007-Mazda6-GT-V6-Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeG12 View Post
Perfect. I love it. I did mine this past weekend too, it was a fairly easy process. Except for removing the rotors. The Philips screws can be a bit of a PITA.
that rotor screw really did give me a hard time. ended up drilling through one of them.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankit69 View Post
that rotor screw really did give me a hard time. ended up drilling through one of them.
I did too, Friday in fact. 6 hrs to do 4 rotors and pads *sigh*

Used half a can of that PB stuff trying to get the screws and 4 seized bolts out.

Fun fun fun.

2009 Mazda6 GT i (6MT) w/Sunroof - NO BOSE! (now an AVIC-Z110BT)
|- CarDomain Ride -|- Stereo Changeout Writeup -|- Random Pics (somewhat recent) -|

If your shop can't do anything more than a kit, don't tell me to buy a Mazdaspeed6, asshat.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007-Mazda6-GT-V6-Owner View Post
Do brake lines need to be removed ? The video on YouTube YouTube - ‪Mazda 6 Front Brake Remove and Replace How To Video Part 1‬‏
suggests so. Any comments ?
Also the video says that the caliper has to slide sidewise on the lower pin,
which obviously contradicts to the above photos. What is the truth ?
I didn't find it to be necessary to remove the brake line mount, like the video says it just gives you a little more play. The key is just to not hang the assembly by the brake line, you can just balance it on top of the rotor or do like the video shows and hang it with a wire hanger from something. I didn't see the part about the caliper sliding on the lower pin and I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about with this question?
DZ09M6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 1

Iíve never removed the brake lines in any of my cars unless I was replacing the callipers themselves Ė Just extra work if all youíre doing is pads or rotors. Plus, playing with them is messy.

As he said, you certainly donít want to just leave everything dangling by the brake line, but thatís easily fixed by tying the assembly to your spring coils with a piece of rope/string to keep the tension off.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default 2006/2007 Mazda 6 front brake pads replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ09M6 View Post
I didn't find it to be necessary to remove the brake line mount, like the video says it just gives you a little more play. The key is just to not hang the assembly by the brake line, you can just balance it on top of the rotor or do like the video shows and hang it with a wire hanger from something. I didn't see the part about the caliper sliding on the lower pin and I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about with this question?
Thank you for replying. The video is about replacing pads on 2004 Mazda 6. They did not have the lower pin but just a slider to slide a caliper.
They also did not have as many clips around pads. Does anybody know the step-by-step procedure of pads replacement for 2006/2007 Mazda6 ?
2007-Mazda6-GT-V6-Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.