parking brakes barely works! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Suspension / Brakes
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default parking brakes barely works!

newbie here, can somebody help me, i got a 2003 mazda 6i, my parking brakes barely works, i can even go 60mph and literally yank my parking brakes all the way up and nothing will happen, i can feel that its working because the car is decelerating, but very very slow, so i guess there are no cable that snapped, beacause it still works, just barely. somebody told me that i can adjust it by turning the nut that can be found under the center armrest, i found it, but the problem is the nut is already turned all the way into the bolt, so it cannot be adjusted any further. the brake pads has been replaced last month, i dont know if theres a connection with that, and the brake system is all oem, nothing modified. what do you think? thanks in advance,

Last edited by ghostrider85; 03-22-2011 at 02:03 AM.
ghostrider85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
banana boat.

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts

how is your brake fluid?

ripping the ebrake at 60 is dangerous and stupid.
flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Learners License

the brake fluid resevoir is full,this is the story, i just bought this car a month ago, bought it cheap, because the car is really messed up, i have to replace lots of things, including new brake pads. this afternoon, it just came into my mind to try the parking brakes instead of using foot brake while driving it to the garage, and i almost hit the wall! i said, wtf?! i am going very very slow but the hand brake did not manage stop the car quickly, so i went out of the garage again, tried the parking brakes couple of times more, but its just the same, its taking way too long to stop the car, i have other cars, their parking brakes isnt this bad, is theres some other way to adjust the parking brakes? from the caliper perhaps? i already tried to put it on neutral, on a steep road, yes neutral, so i can see if the parking brakes can hold it, but it cant, i dont know what to do anymore, please help me,
Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 1

As far as I know there should be some sort of a bolt or something to tighten the hand brake. Don't ask me how to do it, though as I'm looking for an info as well.
lamborg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Groans: 20
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Cables might be going bad, the mechanism that engages it at the brake may be seized. Few things to check into.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
banana boat.

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborg View Post
As far as I know there should be some sort of a bolt or something to tighten the hand brake. Don't ask me how to do it, though as I'm looking for an info as well.
remove your cup holder and their is a nut to tighten down on the Ebrake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGTU View Post
Cables might be going bad, the mechanism that engages it at the brake may be seized. Few things to check into.
stretched cable is a very real possibility.

If you replaced the pads last month, were they maybe not seated properly? who did the service? If you have to deal with winter conditions, you may even have a rust problem.

hard to be sure of anything without a little more info.
flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Learners License

i tought that the cables has been stretched so i was about to buy those cables, i called one of my friends, who had a mazda 6 before, to help me out about this project, he came, then he checked the car, we started disasembling the center console, i was wrong about i said that the adjusting nut is already all the way into the bolt, because when i looked at it the last time i did not remove the whole center console, i only remove the cupholder, thats why i didnt saw it clearly, we can adjust it a little bit more, if we want to, and that what we did, now theres another problem, we tried to raise one of the back wheels off the ground so we can try to spin it, but now the wheel is locked! we didnt adjusted the nut that much! so we decided to put but the adjusting nut to its previos place, now the wheel spins freely, but now the parking brake barely works again! he explained to me that its just the way it is, even if we replace the cable it will be just like that, the reason he told me is this, the problem is the parking brake handle itself, the travel from engaging and disengaging the brakes is just too short that when you pull the handle, it only pulls the cable slightly, by the way, this is what my center console looks like inside, yuck, good side is theres coins inside,

Last edited by ghostrider85; 03-22-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

You need to take rear caliper out,open brake fluid cap, turn it in clockwise to get some space. Then adjust nut under center console. Then step on brake to reset rear caliper
Romaninus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.