Replaced brake pads and rotors front and rear - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Suspension / Brakes
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Replaced brake pads and rotors front and rear

All,

Just thought I would post a few comments on the recent brake pad and rotor replacement (front and rear) on my 2004 Mazda 6s. I've got 195,000 miles on the car and I replaced just the front pads at one point (sorry don't have the mileage handy). Car failed inspection for front rotor width and rear pads and of course the shop wanted some outrageous fortune to replace them. Laughable as I don't know what parts they were quoting but the costs were more than the dealer list prices.

The sticky here was very helpful for replacing the rotors and I didn't have too much of a problem with them. Definitely buy yourself an impact screwdriver as it worked great on the screws holding the rotors on (front and back). Rear rotors needed a little more convincing with my big sledge hammer to get loose than the front but neither were too bad.

Pads are straight forward to replace in the front and I had already done them once. The sticky was helpful for the steps required for disconnecting the emergency brake cable. The first rear piston screwed back in using a pair of needlenose pliers. A little tough to start but then it loosened up and screwed in easily. On the second rear piston, I ended up breaking one of the arms on the needlenose pliers. Back here to the forum for more searching and found someone referenced using a 3/4" open-ended wrench. Using that with another as a lever in the box-end, I was able to get it turned back in but it was definitely stiffer than the driver's side. I'm going to go ahead and buy one of the cubes on Amazon and see how that works the next time (although I probably won't have to do it again on this car given that I got 7 years and almost 200,000 miles from the original rear pads). Oh both pistons screw in clockwise which was something I didn't see mentioned and is helpful to know when you have one that's stuck and you are unsure why.

The only other thing I haven't seen mentioned much are the shims. There are 2 for each pad. The first front brake pads I installed I had to reuse both shims. This set came with the inner one already attached so I just had to reuse the outer shiny (stainless?) one. The rear pads did not come with any shims so I had to reuse both.

Scott
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently did pads and rotors on my '03 6s, too. I spent some time with an impact driver on the rotor set screws, only to have the driver bit snap halfway through the job. Some of the screws were completely seized, so I got medieval with a large drill bit and had the old rotors off in moments. I wish I had found this first:

Brake Rotor Screws - done.

As seldomly as I've used my brake piston "cube," it has come in handy. A lot of rear disc brakes work the same across makes and models. You can apply more torque evenly with a ratchet and extension than pliers.
JimR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

195,000 DAMN !!!!!! I just turned over 45,000 on my 04
SHROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 01:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR View Post
I recently did pads and rotors on my '03 6s, too. I spent some time with an impact driver on the rotor set screws, only to have the driver bit snap halfway through the job. Some of the screws were completely seized, so I got medieval with a large drill bit and had the old rotors off in moments. I wish I had found this first:

Brake Rotor Screws - done.

As seldomly as I've used my brake piston "cube," it has come in handy. A lot of rear disc brakes work the same across makes and models. You can apply more torque evenly with a ratchet and extension than pliers.
I guess I should be thankful that my screws came out so easily with the impact screwdriver! Amazing to see the amount of rust on the rotors and hubs in the link you provided.

And I was thinking that the cube would come in handy on other cars as well (we just picked up a 1997 Miata for example that will need pads at some point).

scott
Old 02-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHROD View Post
195,000 DAMN !!!!!! I just turned over 45,000 on my 04
Yeah 500 miles a week to work (100 miles per day almost all on Interstate/divided road). Just needs to make it another 3 years so about another 78,000 miles.

My last car was a 1987 Mazda 626GT (4-door hatchback with turbo 4-cylinder). Was still running with 355,000 on the original engine but was getting a little rundown which is why I preemptively bought the new Mazda 6 in 2004.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.