How to Replace a Rear Lower Control Arm Bushing - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Suspension / Brakes
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default How to Replace a Rear Lower Control Arm Bushing

Just finished installing a set of MS6 struts/shocks and springs on all four corners, and everything went relatively smooth until I got to the rear drivers side. When trying to remove the spring, I found that the 15mm bolt had SEIZED to the metal sleeve inside the lower control arm bushing, so I was unable to remove the bolt and drop the control arm/spring cup. Since I started on this project on New Year's Day and had to get my DD back on the road by Monday, ordering a new control arm wasn't an option. Necessity is the mother of invention, right?

I searched but couldn't find anything to help, discovered that they don't make a bushing kit for this (which sucks!), so I decided to make this thread so that fellow 6 owners can have some guidance. . . I did all the hard work for you. MS6 will be slightly different, as their rear control arm is shaped differently (measure the hole in the control arm), but the process is the same.

What you will need (for each replacement bushing):

1 x Duralast FB781 (control arm bushing). I searched 3 parts stores, box by box with my set of calipers and found a reasonable replacement at AutoZone, with some slight modification necessary. Cost = $8.99

1 x Grade 8 (150,000# tensile strength) SAE Hex Cap Bolt, 7/16 - 14 x 3 1/2 (Hillman part number 880203). Cost = $1.39

1 x pack of Grade 8 Hex Nuts, 7/16 - 14 (Hillman part number 880271). Pack of 3 cost $1.04. You may also decide to purchase a locknut (same thing with a nylon insert, but I opted to use Blue Loctite instead).

1 x pack of Grade 8 Flat Washers, 1/2 - 13 (Hillman part number 880258). Pack of 3 cost $1.04

1 x can of Rustoleum black semi gloss

***If you don't think that Grade 8 (SAE - 150,000# tensile strength and zinc coated) is strong enough, then go to Jiffy Fasteners or Fastenal and get something stronger. . .this is completely up to you. It was a Sunday, so I didn't have that option. If I see anything that convinces me that the Grade 8 hardware isn't strong enough, I will update this thread immediately.

***If your bushing is shot BUT you can remove the 15mm bolt, then all you need to do is buy the new bushing, reshape it, and then reinstall.

Tools needed (other than usual):

Various sized pry bars

Bench vice

Safety glasses/gloves (safety first!)

Big hammer (hand sledge)

Drill w/a 1/8" bit (slightly larger is ok)

Dremel with a cone shaped bit that you can use on metal

Vice Grips

Angle grinder

Bench grinder - I don't have a bench grinder, so I attach my angle grinder to my bench vise to make a make-shift bench grinder. You will need this when modifying the new bushing to fit.

Large C Clamp

Step 1 - Remove the old bolt and welded nut. First you will need to use your angle grinder and cut the head off of the 15mm bolt. Once you have cut it down flush to the trailing arm assembly (which surrounds the control arm and bushing), use your Dremel and grind the bolt out as best you can (without destroying the hole in the trailing arm). Do the same to the welded nut on the other side.

This is the bolt/bushing in question, although the picture above is from a Speed6.

Step 2 - Once you have the bolt trimmed down and recessed slightly, do whatever you can to get the control arm free from the trailing arm. This took my brother in-law quite some time. . .very frustrating, but stay with it. We had to give up late last night due to fatigue and cold (garage floor), but I got it out the this morning after 30 minutes.

THIS IS THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB!

You will probably have to bend the trailing arm in order to get the control arm to drop, but you can hammer it back into form when you reinstall the new bushing. Try your best not to tear the steel on the trailing arm when you pry on it; bend the trailing arm sides outward enough so that the bolt can drop out of the hole.

Step 3 - Remove the old bushing. I used a my C clamp and a 17mm socket to press the old bushing out of the control arm. Put the socket over the remaining part of the exposed bolt, and put the other side of the clamp against the control arm:

It will help if you drill around the perimeter of the bushing with a drill bit (1/8) and spray some lubricant in. Force the bushing out with the C clamp press, and I ended up twisting it the rest of the way out with the Vice Grips. The bushing will look like crap.

Alternately, you can use a torch and melt the bushing out, but be advised that graphite impregnated rubber is toxic when you burn it. . .

Step 4 - Modify the new bushing to fit. The diameter of the rear lower control arm bushing hole is approximately 35.42 mm, or 1.394 inches, and the length needs to be approximately 2.00 inches. The FB781 bushing is slightly larger in diameter and length, so you will need to modify both. Go over to your bench vice and lock the bushing into place. Grind the FB781 on both sides so that you have the desired length:

In the above picture, I had used the grinder on the right side only. Try to keep both sides as even as possible because the bushing is tapered on both ends, which is how the OEM bushing is designed.

When you finish, it should look something like this:

Now, mount your grinder to your vice (or use a bench grinder is you have one), and slowly grind the diameter down as evenly as you can. It helps if you roll the bushing upward between your fingers as you grind on it so that you don't cause flat spots on the bushing. It doesn't have to be perfect, but you want to decrease the diameter of the bushing to approximately 35.1 mm. Slightly larger will be harder to install, less than may have some play in the bushing when installed. Make fine adjustments as needed. Finished product:

Step 5 - Install the new bushing. Your C Clamp and the socket will come in handy again, and you might find some Vaseline or axle grease may help you get the new bushing into place:

Step 6 - Reconnect the rear lower control arm and the trailing arm. Use your new hardware, with the washers on the outside. My trailing arm was abused quite a bit, so I opted to use 2 washers on the rear side of the hole (bolt head) and one on the nut side. Use some blue Loctite on the nut, or a lock nut if preferred. Torque the bolt/nut to 32-39 lb/ft. I didn't take a picture of the final assembly because I was so happy to be finished.

Use a big hammer to reform the trailing arm back into shape. . .forgot to write down this measurement, but you can get it from the other side of the car.

Hit everything (other than the bolt threads) with the black paint, especially anything that the angle grinder might have touched when you were grinding the old nut/bolt off.

Step 7 - Test drive. After a day or two double check the torque on the bolt/nut.

There you have it!

Last edited by jmoncer978g; 05-01-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Pictures were missing???
jmoncer978g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jmoncer978g For This Useful Post:
speedtown (01-03-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Learners License

Just wanted to comment that the replacement bushing is working great, and no issues with hardware either. Ran my 6 through one of my favorite twisty back roads that I shred in my Z, and the 6 did great.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Learners License

Just wanted to post an update after driving on the new bushing for over a month. No problems at all, and after tire removal and inspection of the replacement bushing everything looks tip top.

Curious if an admin would make this a sticky, as it is a very feasible and cost effective option for the rear control arm bushing versus the complete replacement of the rear control arm.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great write up! I will have to do the same thing soon.
aiebenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

A bump of sorts I guess. . .the pictures were missing for some reason, so I copied/pasted the code back in.

An update also - It is May 1st and everything is still working/no issues at all.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Got mine frozen in the bushing hole too, driver side. The impact wrench can loose the bolt by 3-4 turns, even with a ratchet by hand I can move it. Then the bushing sit on the bolt head side and pull back any shot of impact wrench like hammering on a spring. If I force it with a long force bar, the bushing entirely turn into the lower arm and because the bolt can't escape from the hole, it split the lower arm fold. I'm wondering why the bolt is free in the bushing for 2-3mm and then stick in it.

Nice write up! :-)

Hurricane JDM style LIP Project

Last edited by Hurricane_sr; 05-07-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Hurricane_sr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

BTW, a new lower arm is around 75$ at the dealer. So if you are not stuck on a Sunday night and you can wait 2-3 days for the part, you better order a complete arm than building a new bushing. I'll get mine tomorrow.

Hurricane JDM style LIP Project
Hurricane_sr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.