Noise when turning - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Suspension / Brakes
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since December, I have noticed noise when making slow sharp. This noise happens more frequently when turning into parking spots. It doesn't happen when the surface is wet. The noise is as if there is a need for lubrication. Has anyone had this happen? if so, what did you do about it? I took my car into the dearlship last week but it had rained the night before and it didn't make the noise.

Thanks for all your help/suggestions.
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Since December, I have noticed noise when making slow sharp. This noise happens more frequently when turning into parking spots. It doesn't happen when the surface is wet. The noise is as if there is a need for lubrication. Has anyone had this happen? if so, what did you do about it? I took my car into the dearlship last week but it had rained the night before and it didn't make the noise.

Thanks for all your help/suggestions.
[/b]
Is it a kind of grinding noise? How old is the car? If there is a grinding noise, I have heard that it could be the CB boot. I had a grinding noise on my last car and they replaced the driver side axel or something. Cost around $150.

Hopefully more car-knowledgable members reply.

New Mazda 6 Test Driven! Colorado Road Trip Pics!
// Mazdaspeed Exhaust // Mazdaspeed CAI // Mazdaspeed Hatch Springs // Mazdaspeed 18" Wheels & Kumho Ecsta ASX 225/40/18 // Red G2 // Clear Side Markers // Interior blue LEDs // Euro Tails // Audiolink // 30% tint
2poor4MS6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Noticed the same problem on my 2004 I4-GT (no judder, just moan) a few months ago and got it fixed under warranty... My dealer is pretty good. They didn't ask me to reproduce anything.. They just looked up the "TSB" and followed the instructions on it... Which is replacing the front discs & pads... No questions asked.

Depending on the year of your 6 , This could possibly be the answer to your problem

7th Crow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2006, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Noled83 Send a message via AIM to Noled83 Send a message via MSN to Noled83 Send a message via Yahoo to Noled83

Had the same thing happen to my old car when I threw 17s on it. Took it to some shop and they fixed it. I forget exactly what it was, but it had something to do with an object grinding against the brakes. Quick and easy fix. It sounded like a sharp squeek sound when I would make a sharp left going about 5 mph.
Noled83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2006, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

yes I have the same thing it only happens when I am turning and breaking slowly. Like parking. I have debated taking it to the dealer cause they always think we are making up crap.
Lapis6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2006, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Noticed the same problem on my 2004 I4-GT (no judder, just moan) a few months ago and got it fixed under warranty... My dealer is pretty good. They didn't ask me to reproduce anything.. They just looked up the "TSB" and followed the instructions on it... Which is replacing the front discs & pads... No questions asked.

Depending on the year of your 6 , This could possibly be the answer to your problem

[/b]
Actually it is not grinding, it is moaning. Similar to sound of train. I'll try taking it back in. I have a 20046 S.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not likely to be a CV joint...they usually make a clicking noise.

Moaning could be coming from your brakes. If your brakes are glazed, it will cause throaty noise (rather than a squealing noise) especially at slow speeds. Rain and moisture will probably dull the noise or eliminate it, which would explain your experience.

Nothing that a turn of the rotors/sanding of the pads shouldn't take care of...hopefully.

"The world will not be saved by old minds with new programs. If the world is saved, it will be saved by new minds - with no programs."

2004 Mazda6s GT - Magnaflow Exhaust, 35% tint, leds everywhere

1996 MX5 Miata - Flying Miata Spring, KYB AGX shocks, 4 point roll-bar, Kenwood 3-ways, Alpine HU, Sony tweeters, and some other stuff...
Trigger6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Whenver the weather gets cold around here, like 20 or lower, I get this noise. It's like a clicking noise, something the CV joints would make. But it's weird how it only happens when it's cold. I've noticed this from last winter already but it seems to go away when the car is warmed up. So many people post about sounds they hear and it just all kind of confused me so I kinda gave up since I didn't notice anything unusual when I looked around.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually it is not grinding, it is moaning. Similar to sound of train. I'll try taking it back in. I have a 20046 S.
[/b]
When you bring it to the dealer, do like I did, bring with you a -Print Out- of the TSB .... And don't go in there and say "I think my problem might be....." or "I think the problem might be caused....".

What I did was walk in there and very politely said: "I've got a problem with a moaning noise coming from my front wheels when applying warm brakes during slow speed turns... Here's the TSB, I'd like to book and appointment to get it fixed".

They started saying that this was a US TSB and that Canadian models are different.... To which I responded "On September 2003, this 6 came out of the same plant as all other north American 6's" and booked an appointment for the end of the week, to give them a chance to find it in their Canadian TSB's. Few days later when I walked in for my appointment, they didn't ask any questions... They replaced the brake pads and even replaced the disc (TSB simply called for machining them)....

Hey, worst case scenario, you come out of there with new pads and discs... I understand that your 6 is a 2004, but still check the date it was built (drivers door).... I don't know about the states but here in Canada, 2004 (some of them for sure) are actually built in 2003.... Just make sure your 6 was built prior to October 1st 2003.... Otherwise just forget about this TSB....
7th Crow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2006, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm having the same issue, mainly when backing up and turning, but its kind of a popping shifting feeling when turning into a parking space or backing out. They already performed the TSB which calls for installing new strut bushings....didn't fix it. Just dropped it back off today so they will look at it again. For my problem, the whole steering wheel kind of shifts back a little, away from the pressure, it feels almost like the front end is loose or someting.

The dealer here is great, I had no problems reproducing the problem and they said they will look into it.

Infiniti G35S (SOLD): 2007 Liquid Platinum G35S MT w/Premium Package
Mods: Tint (35% front, 25% rear), Debadged Rear, V1 Radar Detector, Pioneer 6 disk DVD changer (XDVP6), 1 x 2500.1 Kicker amps, 2 x 1000W RMS Kicker Subs, Myron Davis headrest DVD system (AHDM7L), M-25 Active Laser Jammer, Optima Battery

Mazda 6 (SOLD): Glacier Silver Mazda 6s V6 ATX every option minus Bose
Mods: Twin 8000K HID kits (low beams/integrated fogs), lower NA 13,000K HID fogs, Silverstar front turn signals, Chromax rear turn signals, Euro tails, Magnaflow catback, CP-E MAF Customizer, High Output Battery, Inverted 194 markers, 3 7" DVD screens, 2000W Rockford Fosgate system, Alpine DVA-9860 Head Unit, upgraded ground, Kosei K1 TS Rims, Toyo Proxes 4 tires, completely debadged, Valentine1 Radar detector, Photo Reflective Spray, Photo Reflective Plate Cover, Clear Side Markers, 5LED hyperwhite sidemarker bulbs, M-20 Active Laser Jammer, Painted Calipers, EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads

Mazda 6 Cardomain Site: Pics, descriptions, etc. Last updated (19 Aug 05)
diesel5599 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.