Brake caliper rebuild kits - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Brake caliper rebuild kits

I'm upgrading to speed6 brakes on my regular 6 and want to refresh all the parts before i put them on. So has anyone got a solid source for caliper rebuild kits? I've found quite a few for the regular 6 but not the speed6. Also, even the dealer availability is sparse. And the price on their rear kit is crazy town expensive!! Any ideas?

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Groans: 17
Garage
You have to change every single piece of the braking system to do a Speed 6 swap right. Speed 6 calipers are different from regular 6 calipers. The only thing the two cars braking systems share are mounting points.

Are you saying you have the Speed 6 stuff already or do you need to buy it? In general, Speed 6 stuff is expensive and much harder to find than normal 6 stuff.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...

Last edited by b1lk1; 11-21-2016 at 05:58 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Garage
Hey Alex,
I have been thinking about doing this upgrade as well.
I checked rockauto and everything seems reasonable even if it is piecemeal in its approach.
Seems like you need to only replace rubber parts, hardware, and caliper pins
Piston and damper can probably be used as is don't you think?
I calculate about $8 - $15 each wheel.
Is there something I am missing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have a full set of front and rear calipers from a wrecked speed6 (and the larger donut spare tire to clear the larger rotors from the speed) and I want to refresh all the rubber service parts before I put them on the car. Thus, they would be like remanufactured calipers when I got done. I haven't extracted the pistons yet to see how the bores and piston look, but those usually survive well.

The problem I'm having is finding the correct kits. I have found some that have the seals and dust boot, but nothing for the guide pins. It is rather frustrating!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
You have to change every single piece of the braking system to do a Speed 6 swap right. Speed 6 calipers are different from regular 6 calipers. The only thing the two cars braking systems share are mounting points.

Are you saying you have the Speed 6 stuff already or do you need to buy it? In general, Speed 6 stuff is expensive and much harder to find than normal 6 stuff.

You are correct. The rotors, calipers and caliper brackets. The other thing not mentioned is the donut spare. The regular 6 has a 16" spare and that won't clear the speed6 rotors. I got mine from a wrecked speed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Groans: 17
Garage
Try Rock Auto. They have things that you can't get anywhere else it seems.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Hey Alex,
I have been thinking about doing this upgrade as well.
I checked rockauto and everything seems reasonable even if it is piecemeal in its approach.
Seems like you need to only replace rubber parts, hardware, and caliper pins
Piston and damper can probably be used as is don't you think?
I calculate about $8 - $15 each wheel.
Is there something I am missing?

I'm not sure I understand you here... the rubber parts are just to rebuild the calipers. The speed6 calipers and rotors are larger and thus the pistons and so forth are all different. A regular 6 calipers rebuild kit would not rebuild a speed 6 caliper.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So it "LOOKS" like Rock Auto has the correct parts for the speed6 calipers. I had read in past forum posts that many suppliers said the parts were for a speed, but turned out to be for the regular 6. The cost for the rebuild kits is quite small so I'm going to risk it from rock auto and see what shows up. According to what they show on the website, the piston size is correct for the speed6 rebuild kit. Also the pictures of the slide pin bushings and hardware kit is correct in comparison to my speed6 calipers. Hopefully it will be!

Now, I just need to get the ghetto paint job cleaned off the caliper and find someone to zinc coat them for rust prevention and appearance. I'm a bit of a factory wonk when it comes to the presentation. I like my mods to look like they were shipped with the car. Plus, single piston calipers just don't look too sexy in my opinion. I just want them to be clean and fresh, but don't feel the need to call attention to them. I'm looking up sources now to see what I can find out. There's a guy here in my area that does caliper rebuilds and has a plating he uses (though different than zinc) that looks pretty sharp. I might go that route if he will just do the plating for me. I want the satisfaction of rebuilding them myself.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:58 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
Now, I just need to get the ghetto paint job cleaned off the caliper and find someone to zinc coat them for rust prevention and appearance.
That Zinc CAD plating is quite nice.
Something like this?

Did you get those on yet?

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
Now, I just need to get the ghetto paint job cleaned off the caliper and find someone to zinc coat them for rust prevention and appearance.
That Zinc CAD plating is quite nice.
Something like this?

Did you get those on yet?
Yes... exactly that! I'm aiming for stock appearance so I'm not interested in paint. I still haven't got anywhere with them yet. I see them in my shop all the time and sigh a little sigh for my project. One of these days I'll plow into it and get it done. I plan to do the rear backing plate and right now, the mod for that is slowing me down.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page