BC coilovers VS. H&R coilovers - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Mazdaspeed6 > Speed6 Suspension/Chassis
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Question BC coilovers VS. H&R coilovers

I haven't seen this discussed yet. I havent heard much in general on the H&R setup for our car. So which one is actually better? I see the most common setup is the BC coilovers. I see that is works for both the mazda 6 and speed 6. So would the H&R's be at an advantage since they are for the speed6 only?

My question is what is the difference between the 2 as far as lowering? Which one will actually lower the car the most? I hear from a friend that the BC's will lower the car so much you can't really drive it. But on the other hand I believe skater told me his are set at the lowest setting. Which seems pretty driveable and maybe a half inch lower than where my car sits.

Also would the H&R's be better since they are made specifically for the speed 6? Possibly handle the weight better? I see there is only a 200 dollar difference between the 2. just wondering if it is worth it. I actually want my car to sit an inch lower than what it is now. I know that may sound rediculous since it will probably ride terrible. But is it that bad?

2006 MAZDASPEED6

FREEKTUNED @ 20PSI // COBB AP V3 // CPE TMIC // COBB SF // PG TIH // DENSO ITV22s // AUTOTECH INTERNALS // SURE TP // MAGNAFLOW CATBACK // JBR OCC // JBR IM SPACER // JBR PASSENGER & TRANNY MOUNT // SURE RMM // H&R SPRINGS // XXR 530 18X8.75 +35 // CAR LED TAILS // CPE REAR DIF MOUNT // TURBINE TECH FRONT DIF MOUNT // CPE TOW HOOK // 35% TINT // 3M DINOC WRAPPED ROOF // AUTOEXE CARBON FIBER BADGELESS GRILL
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Groans: 13
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

I have the H&R kit and I like it, but I cant compare it to the BC's... I can tell you though its pretty stiff. Ride is controllable and I did track my car twice last yr and it handled pretty well...
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 sport #01820- Whitewater Pearl
COBB AP(Stage1+SF+TIH+IC 93), SRI; HKS SSQV, Denso ITV22, CS HPFP, custom FMIC, BSD w/PTP baffle, Custom CC, MF cat-back, ATP DP/vibrant performance HF cat, VP resonator, EGR delete, Sparco Ring SW w/NRG quick release hub, Sparco R100, STRI Xline Boost, OEM Clutch w/Fidanza FW, TWM stage 1, COBB shift knob, CS front strut & rear bar, Megan H-Bar, H&R coils, Whiteline RSB, Drag DR-34 18x8 et47, Falken Ziex 235-40/18.
djmarkian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to djmarkian For This Useful Post:
Qwik6 (04-23-2010)
Old 04-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

How about the drop?

2006 MAZDASPEED6

FREEKTUNED @ 20PSI // COBB AP V3 // CPE TMIC // COBB SF // PG TIH // DENSO ITV22s // AUTOTECH INTERNALS // SURE TP // MAGNAFLOW CATBACK // JBR OCC // JBR IM SPACER // JBR PASSENGER & TRANNY MOUNT // SURE RMM // H&R SPRINGS // XXR 530 18X8.75 +35 // CAR LED TAILS // CPE REAR DIF MOUNT // TURBINE TECH FRONT DIF MOUNT // CPE TOW HOOK // 35% TINT // 3M DINOC WRAPPED ROOF // AUTOEXE CARBON FIBER BADGELESS GRILL
Old 04-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Groans: 13
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

You can def drop this kit very low... When I first installed it, I was rubbing and bottoming out, meaning I was too low that I would dip into a small uhm dip and I would scrape... lol, hope that helps. But to be honest, I would get the BC over the H&R cause it has adjustability of the rebound and such the H&R's dont. Also its cheaper too, but it is a well made and well known brand. Its up to you really... I think it says in their website that, initial drop is between 1.2" to 2", I hope thats low enough for you...
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 sport #01820- Whitewater Pearl
COBB AP(Stage1+SF+TIH+IC 93), SRI; HKS SSQV, Denso ITV22, CS HPFP, custom FMIC, BSD w/PTP baffle, Custom CC, MF cat-back, ATP DP/vibrant performance HF cat, VP resonator, EGR delete, Sparco Ring SW w/NRG quick release hub, Sparco R100, STRI Xline Boost, OEM Clutch w/Fidanza FW, TWM stage 1, COBB shift knob, CS front strut & rear bar, Megan H-Bar, H&R coils, Whiteline RSB, Drag DR-34 18x8 et47, Falken Ziex 235-40/18.
djmarkian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

i'm leaning towards bc's. So you are saying its 1.2-2" adjusted all the way up?

2006 MAZDASPEED6

Old 04-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to ozzmannt

This is not even close to how low the car can go with the BCs. If I remember correctly I still had 4 more inches left on the adjustment. You can get the car to go as low as you want.

Also the invite is to open to come check them out yourself on my car. These things are def. stiff.
Eminent.Six (06-01-2010), Qwik6 (04-24-2010), SamSamSam (04-24-2010)
Old 04-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks ozzmannt. Thats the way your car is sitting now right? Just curious how low you can go before your suspension travel stops you. I can see it now I am going to have to remove my resonated midpipe. That thing is 3" from the ground now. I'm thinking of dropping the rear down to level out the car.

2006 MAZDASPEED6

Old 04-24-2010, 01:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

How are you going to fit all that tire and wheel in there with another inch lower? It looks like your pretty flush right now. I'm just curious.
2008 Mazda 6s ATX ~ 35%-15% Tint ~ VG Shark Fin ~ 2 MTX 12" Subs ~ Power Akoustic 900 Watt Amp ~ HID in Fogs ~ Custom Auxiliary Input ~ Interior Red+White LEDS ~ Custom Straight Pipes w/ 3" tips ~ Tom Tom hard wired ~ Cobra 9500 hard wired ~ Fog Light Mod ~ Brake Light Mod ~ Air Box Mod ~ Tinted Side-markers ~ HD Lip
6runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 01:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

The rears dont rub at all. Even when squated all the way down. I have a couple mm's to spare. The fronts have rather positive camber right now. Probably add more negative camber on the fronts so they clear. I'll try to make it work.

2006 MAZDASPEED6

Old 04-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to ozzmannt

No my car is a little higher right now. I don't think I was too far off from bottoming out when I had it slammed down in the rear. The front is a different story.

My major problem was the fact that I scraped the section of the exhaust where it goes under the suspension/rear diff. I would hit that section of the exhaust EVERYWHERE when I was that low.

You already had the SPC adjustable balljoints right?

This is the height you saw my car at:
Qwik6 (04-24-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.