How do you replace the front wheel bearings - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Mazdaspeed6 > Speed6 Suspension/Chassis
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

My front right is howling something awful at 67k. Are there any surprises when replacing the front wheel bearings? Just take the brakes, tie rod, control arms, axle nut, and strut off of the hub assembly, then take the hub assy. somewhere to have the old one pressed out and the new one pressed in? Can the local tire/front end shop press the bearings in/out, or is it a dealer job?

Has anyone done this?
9.0:1 CP Pistons, Carrillo Rods, Ported Head, F2 BSD, AEM CAI hacked to SRI, ATP GT3071R, VersaTune HPFP, PG Manifold, 3" catless DP, Corksport 3" catback w/ Borla Pro XS mufflers, Corksport FMIC, ATP TIP, Fidanza flywheel, Spec Stage 2 clutch, Graco baby seat
Machine work, balancing, and coatings by Automotive Machine
Tuned with -
by
steve12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

I started on it last night. Make sure you have a 35mm axle nut socket, a 23mm socket for the lower ball joint nuts (15/16ths is close), and a 7mm allen socket for the callipers. A ball joint separator is recommended for popping the ball joints out of the knuckle. If you use a hammer, you will mushroom the nuts like I did The rest of the tools are normal.

An impact gun is highly recommended for the axle nut and ball joint nuts.

The MS6 front wheel bearings are NOT the same as the regular 6 parts. Be sure to get the right parts. Luckily the local Napa could get them the same day.

As an afterthought, if you are considering doing the brakes, you might as well do them at the same time since you have it all apart.

Do this at your own risk. I am not a professional mechanic or repair manual writer!

Removal procedure:

SAFELY jack and support the vehicle.

Remove wheel.

Remove black plastic dust caps from calliper slide pins.

Unscrew 7mm allen head calliper slide pins from calliper carriers.

Remove calliper retaining spring clip from outside of calliper

Remove calliper from carrier being careful to keep the inner pad in the calliper so you dont break the retaining clip for the inner pad which goes inside the calliper piston.

With string, rope, wire, etc. hang the calliper from the upper control arm so it is not hanging from the hose.

Remove 12mm head bolt that holds the ABS sensor on.

Carefully wiggle the abs sensor loose from the knuckle. It has a plastic pin that is lightly pressed in to the knuckle for alignment.

Remove 12mm head bold on knuckle that retains the abs sensor wire midway up the knuckle.

Move ABS sensor and wire out of the way. I hung it over the calliper.

Remove the two 17mm head bolts from the calliper carrier and remove the calliper carrier.

Remove the two phillips head screws that retain the brake rotor and remove the rotor from the hub. A torch and some PB Blaster may be necessary. Or a drill

Open the peened over part of the axle nut that prevents it from loosening with a hammer and screwdriver/punch

Use an impact gun to remove the 35mm axle nut.

Use a rubber/plastic mallet or dead hit hammer to loosen the axle from the hub. Shouldn't take much.

Remove safety pin from the tie rod end.

Loosen 17mm tie rod end nut.

Use a hammer or ball joint separator to pop the tie rod end loose from the knuckle. Make sure you keep the nut on to protect the threads if you use a hammer.

Use impact gun to loosen the two 23mm lower ball joint nuts.

Use a hammer or ball joint separator to pop the ball joints loose from the knuckle. Make sure you keep the nut on to protect the threads if you use a hammer. I had to beat the @#$% out of these to get them loose.

Loosen the 19mm upper ball joint nut. Use a hammer or ball joint separator to pop the ball joint loose from the knuckle. Make sure you keep the nut on to protect the threads if you use a hammer.

Remove knuckle.

Take the knuckle/bearing/hub assembly to a shop to have the bearings replaced. Unless you happen to have an press.

When I get it put back together, I will finish the writeup. If time permits, I will take pics.
9.0:1 CP Pistons, Carrillo Rods, Ported Head, F2 BSD, AEM CAI hacked to SRI, ATP GT3071R, VersaTune HPFP, PG Manifold, 3" catless DP, Corksport 3" catback w/ Borla Pro XS mufflers, Corksport FMIC, ATP TIP, Fidanza flywheel, Spec Stage 2 clutch, Graco baby seat
Machine work, balancing, and coatings by Automotive Machine
Tuned with -
by
steve12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts

Good info. whish I saw it before I put in my new knuckle as I had to run to the store twice for the 35mm axle nut socket and something else and again to rent the bj press as I did mushroom mine so I had to install my SPCs. I did it a few weeks ago, but I found a deal on a knucke with hub so assuming the bearing is good for under $100 im happy. I may need to do the rear bearing thou so we will see. I see them on ebay for $69 but probably not even the right ones.
Red MS6 GT - BNR - Cobb AP - JBR WP - Spearco FMIC - MAC EBCS - Synapse BOV - DNP - CPE DP->MF - SU RRM - TTFMM - TT + CPE Diff Mounts - Mrlilguy HPFP - Projector HID fogs - TSX projector retrofit - LI jammers - 57Fs w/ 245 M3s - Brembo - BC COs - WL RSB
aviator79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the good info!
*RPM Adjustable Ball Joints (-2.2 degrees front and rear)*Koni Yellow Shocks*
*17x8 et 48 Raze R74's with 245/45/17 Dunlop Star Specs (for AutoX days)*
Chucky12012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

This blows my mind that you guys have to replace bearings already. My Contour SVT lasted till about 170k before I had to final replace one. I just swapped out the hub, was much easier and only about 50 more than the bearing and labor itself.
LED Tail lights, Hawk brake pads, Nokya JDM yellow fogs, Shorty antenna, cp-e 3" catback, cp-e intake, SU test pipe, BSD</span></span></span></span></span> </span></span></span></span>
cincySVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

if i buy the hub does it come with the bearing inside? So i can just swap hub assemblies and not have to worry about bring it to a shop and getting it pressed.

Online Mazda Parts(link to front hub part)

car has 76k miles.

thanks
'04 steel gray, tint 35%, cpe mafci, <strike>xtec hid 35w 5000k</strike>, hid retrofit w/ bosch e46 ece prj, bosch gen2 ballast, philips d2s 85122 4300k, tranny cooler, mazdaspeed springs, rx8 18x8 potenza re040 225/45/18, door sills, jl 10w7, jl 500/1, audiolink ipod integration, cardomain
fuziwuzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

[QUOTE=fuziwuzi;3261156]if i buy the hub does it come with the bearing inside? So i can just swap hub assemblies and not have to worry about bring it to a shop and getting it pressed.

good question fuziwuzi.
great info steve12345
401bay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

The hub does not have the bearing on it. The are sold separately. This is in the speed6 section but I'm pretty sure it's the same wit 6i and 6s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.