Mazda 6 Forums banner

compression test horrible

11K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Oldvet 
#1 ·
had a compression test done at my normal place i go to they also said the turbo could be failing.. the compression test results were terrible they recommended a rebuilt or new engine.. my question is what should i go with? rebuilt or refurb? because i cannot find a place that rebuilds around my area besides one or two shops please help

#2 ·
what were the numbers?

should be around 180psi in each cylinder and no more than 20% (i think? double check that percentage) variance between cylinders.

Reactions: chrismazdaspeed6
#4 ·
Oh wow yeah...that's bad lol. The fluid on the shifter assembly is easy $5 fix. Look up "shaft pivot seal how to".

As for engine...you have a few options.

Reactions: chrismazdaspeed6
#6 ·
Depending on power goals, budget and time frame, you can rebuild, purchase remanufactured or buy new.

If you're not comfortable with either the local talent, or the process, then we skip rebuilding, leaving the choice of buying either a used or reman, or buying new. Used, if you can find one in good shape & near-by can be priced anywhere from $500-$2500. Reman will go for$35-4500, and new from Mazda will go for ~$4000. Pricing can & will vary, and shopping your ass off will no doubt save some good coin!

Here's one example of a Reman-
MZR DISI Remanufactured Long Block Mazdaspeed 3 Mazdaspeed 6 2006-2013

I put holes in my old block, so rebuilding wasn't an option for me- no core to start from. Since I needed a new block I elected to join Mazdaspeed Motorsports since I planned to be autocrossing anyway. The discounts for parts through MSM is worth considering if you're a member of, or are willing to join, a racing organization like the SCCA.

As you can see here, retail cost of this long block would have been ~$4500 with tax & shipping, and I got it through MSM for under $3500, shipped & taxed.

#8 · (Edited)
thanks for the input you guys really appreciate it.. and im looking for maybe 350hp all together i may just go for a new one depending on whats the matter with it. im having it diagnosed now at a good shop to maybe knock down exactly what it is.. unless you guys would rather say forged for the power output..
also if it gave me a price drop like that i would def join a club what exactly would i need to do to join it?

#9 ·
Soo.its been awhile since ive posted. But found out it was nothing with the engine. The engine compression was good. Turbo bearings went out had to get those fixed and a clogged catalytic converter.. power output diffrence is tremendous. Was gonna lok for some small upgrades before power and was gonna see what you guys would reccomend for rear differential upgrade.. and coilovers for the suspension. And engine mounts. Any recommendation is helpful

#10 ·
Wow thats a good relief to know you didnt have to replace the engine.. So what the actual compression numbers are? How much did it end up costing you to fix the Turbo bearing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.