4th Gear Temporary Power Reduction - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Mazdaspeed6 > Speed6 Engine/Drivetrain
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 4th Gear Temporary Power Reduction

Noticed it today, between 3000-4500 RPM in 4th only so far, as RPMs increased, boost held position, and then spiked. Noticable reduction in car acceleration. WOT made this more evident.
One time heard a noise from the engin bay, almost a rattling. Another time boost guage backlight flickered which had never happened, I didn't notice any other power loss.
I checked the guage hose and wiring, everything seemed ok.

I have read about fuel cuts, and hiccups, possibility need a new hpfp here? Something else maybe?

Damn I wish I had a log to show.
VRM 2006 MS6 GT #517
AP V3 - Self Tune in Progress - ACT/pedal reinforced - H&R Springs - JBR 80a RMM - DREAD - TWM Stg 2 - Turbosmart BV - Denso20s - Hawks - SPC BJs - CS SS Clutch Line - Defroster POD/PS Boost Guage - RED Footwells - CAR LED & Brake Mod - LED Turns & all 194s -Smoked Side Markers - Nokya Yellow H11s w/MOD Rockford 200w Amp/12" Sub - AUXMOD
Plasti Dipped Lots of Stuff - Redline and Royal Purple
DPFISUMS6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Groans: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

You don't seem to have many power mods. I've been reading where as you approach, say 280+ hp you have a pretty good shot at getting some fuel cut.

But, on the other hand, your boost gauge (as you say held position) would seem to indicate there are no boost leaks.

Double check for cracks along any intake, bpv etc hose. check charge tubes too on inter-cooler

I'm Registered. Are You? www.Ms6db.com

"I would happily admit to anybody that the Mazdaspeed6 should come with a warning label..."
-TiGraySpeed6
jm211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Thanked 2,952 Times in 1,919 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

how does the car sound/act on first cold start of the day? Fast & easy, or slow to turn over, and takes a few revs to catch & start? I'm wondering if you're beginning to have battery issues, and this car is a bitch about good electricity and plenty of it...

That "almost rattling" could be a description of really bad engine knock- how's this tank of fuel?
How about the plugs?
All the clamps nice & tight- no leaks?
Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Bolted, Mounted, FLOWTuned & Autocrossed
Dixie Region SCCA

TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGraySpeed6 View Post
how does the car sound/act on first cold start of the day? Fast & easy, or slow to turn over, and takes a few revs to catch & start? I'm wondering if you're beginning to have battery issues, and this car is a bitch about good electricity and plenty of it...

That "almost rattling" could be a description of really bad engine knock- how's this tank of fuel?
How about the plugs?
All the clamps nice & tight- no leaks?

I was about empty so I refueled and drove around for a while, found it happeneing in all gears.

Really cold days over the winter it would start ok and then die pretty much immediately after. Second start always stayed running.

I need to take a look i nthe light, checkings out more thoroughly.
VRM 2006 MS6 GT #517
AP V3 - Self Tune in Progress - ACT/pedal reinforced - H&R Springs - JBR 80a RMM - DREAD - TWM Stg 2 - Turbosmart BV - Denso20s - Hawks - SPC BJs - CS SS Clutch Line - Defroster POD/PS Boost Guage - RED Footwells - CAR LED & Brake Mod - LED Turns & all 194s -Smoked Side Markers - Nokya Yellow H11s w/MOD Rockford 200w Amp/12" Sub - AUXMOD
Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Thanked 2,952 Times in 1,919 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

really really cold start- it dies when you let the clutch out?
If that's it, just bypassing the clutch pedal switch will allow you to start the car with the clutch out instead, and prevents the symptom.

I've been doing this for years now, not for cold tho-
Thrust Bearing Failure/Clearance Is The ANSWER

edit to copy/paste this post from the Forzda thread I linked- compliments of McFly
Quote:
And whats the benefit of jumpering the clutch so u can start without pressing it in?

When the clutch is fully depressed in, it pushes on the thrust bearing, so pushing the
clutch in on an engine start forces zero to full pressure on the bearing. This, in time will
cause excessive wear on the bearing. Without the clutch pedal depressed, you eliminate
that unneeded jolt to the crank bearing every time you start the car.

The auto manufacturers put the clutch pedal safety switch in for people that
never learn to do the 'stick jiggle' and instead start the car in gear, which can do damage
to the starter.... the front of your car..... what ever you jolt into....it's an idiot feature,
like the dinger when your key is in the ignition....
Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Bolted, Mounted, FLOWTuned & Autocrossed
Dixie Region SCCA

TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
bazzarino (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Like well below ZERO temps that happens. No a problem I would think a Floridian would encounter. I'm so used to pushing the clutch in now i may just leave it.

I looked on lunch, didnt find anything loose or worse.

I think I'll order a COBB AP this week, would imagine something shows up there. Going to get one eventually anyways.
VRM 2006 MS6 GT #517
Old 04-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Resolution has been found. I pressurized through the CAI with the boost leak finding contraption I found here and there is a leak.

Leak coming from a where the inlet meets the turbo, i think. It is near the fire wall on the right side down pretty low, is a bitch to reach let alone get a socket wrench down there.
VRM 2006 MS6 GT #517
The Following User Says Thank You to DPFISUMS6 For This Useful Post:
TiGraySpeed6 (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

The stock turbo inlet hose is known to be loose fitting on the turbo before being adjusted.

2007 w/ Cheez

// COBB AP // SURE ID300 MAF // COBB TIP // CXRacing FMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // PTP TIG // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // HD Coil Packs //
Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // Bilstein Shocks & H&R Springs // DSS Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber
// Defi Red Racer // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //
bmorrisj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to bmorrisj For This Useful Post:
DPFISUMS6 (04-04-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

More update, when monkeying around with the TIP and tightening it did not help, I took it to the Dealer. Dont have the full story yet, but a solenoid is stuck open they say. Not waste gate, he said somthing about Emisions and intake but he wasn't sure.
VRM 2006 MS6 GT #517
Old 04-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

The Dealer replaced the purge valve... boost leak seems to be non-existent BUT RPMs still surge up and the back of gradually as the car seems try to catch up with its self when accelerating quickly. I didn't go WOT but over 3k rpm up hill it held boost at 16 steady while the RPMs are all over the place.

Also, I felt like Jerry Sienfield as the dealer chastised me for not changing my oil at 3k miles. All i have read on this site and otherwise is that is not necessary.
VRM 2006 MS6 GT #517

Last edited by DPFISUMS6; 04-11-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: to finish my last sentence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.