ABS Light On - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Mazdaspeed6 > Speed6 Engine/Drivetrain
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default ABS Light On

Hi,

I have a 2003 Mazda6 4 Cyclinder Sedan and the ABS light (and ONLY the ABS light) recently came on after having the brakes and rotors changed at the dealer because of wear and tear.

The dealer said nothing is wrong and it's not their fault. I took it to another garage and they told me that the ABS controller is dead.

What I did notice was the ABS light did go off for a day or so, but came back again.

I also read on the forum that the problem could be when they installed the brake and rotors that they used excessive force and the cables are shorted sending an incorrect signal that the ABS is having problems.

I have a few questions that I hope you all can help answer.

1. Does the car turn on the ABS light automatically when the brakes are changed? If so, does it "reset" after a while?
2. Is there a way to reset the ABS light? I want to see if it's really a problem.
3. Is there anyway to test the ABS without expensive equipment? It's summer time right now, so I'm not sure how to force the ABS to come on...
4. If the ABS controller is dead, does anyone know the prices for a new (or used) ABS controller?

Any help anyone can provide to my problem is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Strykerz
strykerz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

Jeez this is a no-brainer. The dealer F'd up one of the wheel speed sensors and are either too stupid to perform the check per the FSM, or just too stupid to even know there is a check.....

`11 Ducati 1198SP Red

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Corse Hypermotard

`12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
FORZDA 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,909 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

yeah, ya gotta admit, there appears to be a pretty clear cause-effect time line, at least as it's typed.

LOL- and forzda kills yet another thread
Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop
Bolted, Mounted, FLOWTuned & Autocrossed
Dixie Region SCCA

TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZDA 1 View Post
Jeez this is a no-brainer. The dealer F'd up one of the wheel speed sensors and are either too stupid to perform the check per the FSM, or just too stupid to even know there is a check.....
Forzda,

Thanks for your help! I just have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1. What is FSM?
2. Since it sounds just like a speed sensor problem, does that mean the ABS will still function?

Many thanks again!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Factory Service Manual = FSM This is the Mazda service manual for the car. It has pretty much everything technical about the car in it along with diagnostic procedures for every malfunction that is indicated by a CEL code or warning light. If the idiots follow the FSM, they WILL fix the problem.

No, the ABS will NOT function if the ABS light is on. You need to get this issue fixed correctly ASAP.

`11 Ducati 1198SP Red

Old 08-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Factory Service Manual = FSM This is the Mazda service manual for the car. It has pretty much everything technical about the car in it along with diagnostic procedures for every malfunction that is indicated by a CEL code or warning light. If the idiots follow the FSM, they WILL fix the problem.

No, the ABS will NOT function if the ABS light is on. You need to get this issue fixed correctly ASAP.
Forzda,

Thank you for your advice. I was finally able to make an appointment to have the ABS light looked at. The dealer said the problem is with the ABS Controller. They told me they plugged in the computer and checked everything and that's what the computer said.

I was dubious of the claim and didn't have them fix the problem immediately. What I had them do is show me where the ABS Controller is.

What I did notice when I got the car back was everything was reset. As in, the radio stations, volume settings, Trip A & B, etc. So it does seem like they did do some checking.

I took some pictures of the part that they say is the ABS Controller. I'm wondering if you can tell me if that part is the ABS Controller. If it is, it does look rusted and could really need to be replaced.

Thank you again for your help

Regards,
Strykerz
Attached Thumbnails
ABS Light On-photo1.jpg   ABS Light On-photo2.jpg   ABS Light On-photo3.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yep, thats the ABS controller & pump. They are the most reliable component in the ABS though. If they ran the diagnostics on the ABS and the controller is actually bad it is very unusual. I'm sure they replace them often enough though. It isn't cheap either, so you should tell them you're only going to pay for it IF it fixes the problem. Don't let the dealer just swap parts at your car. Good Luck!

`11 Ducati 1198SP Red

The Following User Says Thank You to FORZDA 1 For This Useful Post:
ronald thomas (03-29-2013)
Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

good stuff forzda! but my question is how he made it to the Speed6 section to post this

hope your issues get ironed out!

2007 w/ Cheez

// COBB AP // SURE ID300 MAF // COBB TIP // CXRacing FMIC // PTP BSD // PTP Windage Tray // PTP TIG // KMD V2.1 CDFP Internals // HD Coil Packs //
Corksport DP // TurboXS RP // CP-e 3" Single Cat-back // Bilstein Shocks & H&R Springs // DSS Axle // TSW Interlagos 19x8 +35 // 235/35 Rubber
// Defi Red Racer // Block8head Defrost Pod // DDM 3k Fogs & 6k Lowbeams // Custom iPod Integration Hackjob //
bmorrisj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorrisj View Post
.......but my question is how he made it to the Speed6 section to post this .......!
LOL Well, that I don't know! Maybe he was looking for the "smart" dudes...!

I do also have an `05 M6i though....

`11 Ducati 1198SP Red

Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Yep, thats the ABS controller & pump. They are the most reliable component in the ABS though. If they ran the diagnostics on the ABS and the controller is actually bad it is very unusual. I'm sure they replace them often enough though. It isn't cheap either, so you should tell them you're only going to pay for it IF it fixes the problem. Don't let the dealer just swap parts at your car. Good Luck!
Forzda,

Thank you once again for your insight. I'll go and negotiate with the dealer to make sure they don't try to rip me off.

Cheers,
Strykerz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.