Speedie6's Turbo Inlet Pipe - Page 19 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Mazdaspeed6 > Speed6 Engine/Drivetrain
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Would people be interested in buying my turbo inlet pipe?
One like mine, out of plastic 21 18.92%
One like mine, out of aluminum 79 71.17%
No thanks. 11 9.91%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #181 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to superskaterxes

QUOTE (Boost Addict @ Jul 27 2008, 09:53 PM)
Quote:
Ah, thank you... That does makes sense...

But it's metered at the MAF, right? So wouldn't there be an issue with more of that metered air passing through earlier and more consistently? I'm not too great on understanding flow properties, so bear with me. I would assume the same amount of air would be sucked through the CAI, and metered the same, but instead of having to pass through the restrictive factory inlet, it now passes more efficiently through this piece... Wouldn't that yield more air? Again, forgive my ignorance if it's an obvious thing, I'm just trying to understand.[/b]

boost,

your sort of on the right track but not quite. remember the turbo is essentially a vaccume, it sucks just as much air as it wants. so before the TIP, the turbo had to work HARDER to suck in ~16 PSI worth of air. now that the stock TIP has been replaced by a more free flowing one, the turbo will still be sucking ~16 PSI worth of air but now it can do it more efficiently and smoothly which leads to more HP. sort of like the FMIC vs stock TMIC debate, the stock TMIC has a 4PSI pressure drop where as an AM FMIC usually around .5PSI so the turbo has to put out 3.5PSI less at the outlet even though its not actually pushing any more air.

btw havent seen you in a while buddy, hows your diff replacement going? PM me if you wanna keep this thread on topic.
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Black Mica #4126
GT3076R ~ TXS BOV ~ Custom 3" MAF SRI w/ giant AEM filter ~ AP ~ FMIC ~ CPE DP ~ DNP Mani w/Tial 38mm MV-S EWG VTA'd~ CPE BT TIP ~ TWM Stage 1 ~ CPE RMM ~ TTFMM ~ CPE RDM ~ BC CO's slammed ~ SPC BJ's ~ EBC Red's ~ Stoptech's ~ Technafit SS Lines ~ Autometer Boost & STRI EGT ~ 20% Tint ~ LED Tails ~ Denso ITV-24's ~ Xtra Shorty Antenna ~ Dashhawk ~ CPE Dual CBE ~ Whiteline RSB ~ PnP'd IM ~ CDFP Internals ~ labonte meth kit
superskaterxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #182 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

QUOTE (superskaterxes @ Jul 28 2008, 05:27 AM)
Quote:
boost,

your sort of on the right track but not quite. remember the turbo is essentially a vaccume, it sucks just as much air as it wants. so before the TIP, the turbo had to work HARDER to suck in ~16 PSI worth of air. now that the stock TIP has been replaced by a more free flowing one, the turbo will still be sucking ~16 PSI worth of air but now it can do it more efficiently and smoothly which leads to more HP. sort of like the FMIC vs stock TMIC debate, the stock TMIC has a 4PSI pressure drop where as an AM FMIC usually around .5PSI so the turbo has to put out 3.5PSI less at the outlet even though its not actually pushing any more air.

btw havent seen you in a while buddy, hows your diff replacement going? PM me if you wanna keep this thread on topic.[/b]
Ok, so it's kind of like a downpipe in the sense that it let's the turbo spin easier (with less back pressure, in the DP case) but not necessarily push more air. So if anything, it shouldn't really result in more power, instead, it should just allow the spool to begin slightly earlier and with less effort. That sound right?

Yeah, I haven't been on much... Diff was replaced under warranty, no question. I have the TT brace and CP-E brace coming to stiffen it up, but my car is MIA right now... I was cut off during a sweeping left, downhill offramp and ended up skidding off the road and flying down a ditch. Damages are estimated at over $13,700 so I'm really hoping insurance doesn't total it... They haven't said anything yet. The way it landed, the car should have flipped... but didn't. These cars are tanks man, saved my sisters life as well as mine.
Boost Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #183 (permalink)
Risickulous

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groans: 29
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts

"Yeah, I haven't been on much... Diff was replaced under warranty, no question. I have the TT brace and CP-E brace coming to stiffen it up, but my car is MIA right now... I was cut off during a sweeping left, downhill offramp and ended up skidding off the road and flying down a ditch. Damages are estimated at over $13,700 so I'm really hoping insurance doesn't total it... They haven't said anything yet. The way it landed, the car should have flipped... but didn't. These cars are tanks man, saved my sisters life as well as mine. "

O/T: Whoo! Glad to hear you are ok. Had some rough times with the car lately huh?

Yup, my car is stock.
jmhinkle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #184 (permalink)

QUOTE (Boost Addict @ Jul 27 2008, 08:53 PM)
Quote:
But it's metered at the MAF, right? So wouldn't there be an issue with more of that metered air passing through earlier and more consistently? I'm not too great on understanding flow properties, so bear with me. I would assume the same amount of air would be sucked through the CAI, and metered the same, but instead of having to pass through the restrictive factory inlet, it now passes more efficiently through this piece... Wouldn't that yield more air? Again, forgive my ignorance if it's an obvious thing, I'm just trying to understand.[/b]
I believe you should get more air into the turbo, but that additional air will be passing by the MAF too. So, it should be metered. Air can't get into the turbo without passing through the MAF.

From 6club GB's: AWR trans mount & side mount, TurbineTech front motor mount & diff mount, Mrlilguy fuelpump, F2 BSD

From SU: SU rear mmt, SU BOV, SU red hoses (upper radiator, intercooler, recirc), GHL catback, DNP header (ceramic coated), ETS 3.25 TMIC, Perin MBC, Spec II+ clutch, Whiteline sway, HKS TwinPower ignition, 2-step colder plugs, spin-on oil filter conversion kit

From CPE: DP w/cat (ceramic coated), Rear diff mount, guagepod, TowPlate

From Cobb: AccessPort, SRI intake, shifter weight

From RPM: RPM Sport springs, Bilstein Shocks, SPC ball joints, Carbotech brake pads, SS brake/clutch lines, AWR f&r end links

From Corksport: CS shock-tower brace, exhaust hangers

From PT-Performance: windage tray, SST turbo, air intake screen, intake manifold porting/EGR delete/VTCS delete, ProSport guages: boost/EGT/wideband, Stage III Water Injection (pending)

Other mods: Speedie6 Turbo Inlet Pipe, TWM stage-1 SS/bushings, d/s rotors, LED tail lights, Enkei RPF1 wheels

Audio: All kinds of bad-ass goods.
speedie6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #185 (permalink)
Risickulous

What kind of timeframe were we looking at on these being ready?

Yup, my car is stock.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #186 (permalink)

My supplier said roughly mid-August. He's got to get material in. I intend to have him update the prototype from the picture to have the additional pieces on it.

I'm not sure I should mention this or not, but, I just saw that someone makes one very similar, at least for the Speed 3. I don't know if the inlet pipe is identical on it or not. But, it looks similar. The discussion about it is on another forum, and I seem to remember some forums not liking you to link to another forum. So, here is a link to a picture of it:

It shows a weld, which mine won't. But maybe the picture is of a prototype too. I don't know. Also, I like my idea of utilizing the stock rubber gasket to mate it to the turbo. They are using a coupler. But, overall, looks very similar -- though I think mine is slightly better. And I intend mine to be cheaper. But, if everybody here said that they'd rather get the other product, I could maybe cancel my order with my supplier. As he is waiting on material, he could maybe cancel his order with his supplier. Up to everybody here.

From 6club GB's: AWR trans mount & side mount, TurbineTech front motor mount & diff mount, Mrlilguy fuelpump, F2 BSD

From SU: SU rear mmt, SU BOV, SU red hoses (upper radiator, intercooler, recirc), GHL catback, DNP header (ceramic coated), ETS 3.25 TMIC, Perin MBC, Spec II+ clutch, Whiteline sway, HKS TwinPower ignition, 2-step colder plugs, spin-on oil filter conversion kit

From RPM: RPM Sport springs, Bilstein Shocks, SPC ball joints, Carbotech brake pads, SS brake/clutch lines, AWR f&r end links

From PT-Performance: windage tray, SST turbo, air intake screen, intake manifold porting/EGR delete/VTCS delete, ProSport guages: boost/EGT/wideband, Stage III Water Injection (pending)

Other mods: Speedie6 Turbo Inlet Pipe, TWM stage-1 SS/bushings, d/s rotors, LED tail lights, Enkei RPF1 wheels

Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #187 (permalink)
Risickulous

Personally I like the reducing coupling at the turbo instead of the stock gasket idea, but I'm down for whatever is available.

QUOTE (speedie6 @ Jul 28 2008, 08:58 PM)
Quote:
My supplier said roughly mid-August. He's got to get material in. I intend to have him update the prototype from the picture to have the additional pieces on it.

I'm not sure I should mention this or not, but, I just saw that someone makes one very similar, at least for the Speed 3. I don't know if the inlet pipe is identical on it or not. But, it looks similar. The discussion about it is on another forum, and I seem to remember some forums not liking you to link to another forum. So, here is a link to a picture of it:

It shows a weld, which mine won't. But maybe the picture is of a prototype too. I don't know. Also, I like my idea of utilizing the stock rubber gasket to mate it to the turbo. They are using a coupler. But, overall, looks very similar -- though I think mine is slightly better. And I intend mine to be cheaper. But, if everybody here said that they'd rather get the other product, I could maybe cancel my order with my supplier. As he is waiting on material, he could maybe cancel his order with his supplier. Up to everybody here.[/b]

Yup, my car is stock.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #188 (permalink)

By the way, I think he's using 2.5" pipe. Not sure, but, he said that he isn't beading the end of his pipe as it made getting the intake hose on a little difficult. If he was using 2 3/8" (60 mm) like stock, that wouldn't be an issue. That, and it looks like he's using a 2.5" to 2" reducer. I think mine is better, but, albeit a biased opinion. And I'm sure negligible difference between them.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #189 (permalink)

QUOTE (jmhinkle @ Jul 28 2008, 02:00 PM)
Quote:
"Yeah, I haven't been on much... Diff was replaced under warranty, no question. I have the TT brace and CP-E brace coming to stiffen it up, but my car is MIA right now... I was cut off during a sweeping left, downhill offramp and ended up skidding off the road and flying down a ditch. Damages are estimated at over $13,700 so I'm really hoping insurance doesn't total it... They haven't said anything yet. The way it landed, the car should have flipped... but didn't. These cars are tanks man, saved my sisters life as well as mine. "

O/T: Whoo! Glad to hear you are ok. Had some rough times with the car lately huh?[/b]
Thanks man. These things don't bother me though. The diff was a replaceable item, and was taken care of. It just hurts to put so much time and energy in polishing up a car, inspecting it daily, keeping it looking fresh and scratch free, paying extra to have a clear bra done only to have some the idiot cut me off and send me sailing into a ditch without any regard. I expected my car to stay on the road, but when you're steering while hitting the brake, it just wants to understeer.... So: goodbye road, hello ditch.

---

On Topic:

As long as I don't need a re-tune, I'm all for your design, speedie6. I'd rather wait a little extra and give my business to the guy who's been at the idea for months, busting his tail trying to get it to work. Thanks for all your innovative work!
Boost Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 02:23 AM   #190 (permalink)
Risickulous

"I think he's using 2.5" pipe"

Makes sense for the reasoning of using the reducer. That is much like I was considering when doing my own as well just never got down to it. 2.5 is far easier to source that 2 3/8 so it seems logical I guess. Like I said, when I can actually buy one from somebody to save me some time, I'm down.

Yup, my car is stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.