Hitachi-Warner K04-022-881 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Mazdaspeed6 > Speed6 Engine/Drivetrain
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I'm not sure whether anybody has ever verified the model of the Mazdaspeed 6 Turbocharger before, but I found I could see the identification name plate on the turbocharger by using a 1 million candle power flashlight( it was dark) and looking from the front of the engine, kind of under the straight snorkel piece of the CAI, back towards the big hose that goes straight down to the snorkel of the turbocharger, from the back of the I/C. You can see where the CAI hose attaches to the hub of the turbocharger ( where the impellers are, center of the snail, so to speak) and just underneath the hub is the identification name plate and is clearly visable to someone with good eyesight.........my son. He didn't have any idea what it was supposed to say, so I'd say that it's a pretty safe bet it's a K04-022-881 as that's what he read off it to me.

I was kind of hoping Mazda had used a little larger model............but oh well, we'll just have to make do with what we've got ...........HA HA HA ya just until we modify it, of course.

Anyway, I hope that is of some help.
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT Liquid Platinum/Black Leather/Moonroof/Tint/AEM CAI/Defi Meter BF Boost Gauge & Control Unit / HKS SSQ BOV / ELF Evolution 5w/30 Full Synthetic Ultra High Performance Oil/ RedLine 75w-90 Full Synthetic in the rear end and PTO (Tranfer Case)/ MT90 Full Synthetic in the transmission. (Defi Meter BF Oil Pressure/ Exhaust Temp./ Water Temp./ Lo-Tek Dash Gauge

Beltronics Vector FX2 #'s
1/4 Mile: ET 13:37 @ 102 MPH
1/8 Mile: ET 8.60 @ 81 MPH
1000 ft: ET 11:17
60 FT: ET 1:72
0-100 MPH ET: 12:50
0-60 MPH ET: 4:90
rocket 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to More cowbell

yeh it was posted while back. Its the same turbo used in audi TT 225hp model 1.8t. This turbo is way undersized for a 2.3L direct injected high compression motor.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
yeh it was posted while back. Its the same turbo used in audi TT 225hp model 1.8t. This turbo is way undersized for a 2.3L direct injected high compression motor.
[/b]
I wouldn't say that.

It's sized perfect for the results Mazda wanted.

For us speed nutz...yeah a 16g size would've been a good starting point thank Q.
WhightLightn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2006, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MrTea Send a message via MSN to MrTea

for those that get Sport Compact Car, the newest issue covers the speed3 and says it uses the same turbo as the speed6 (which we know)

"for a stockturbo, it has a lot of trick features, including a compressor stage supported by a full-floating, journal-bearing, water-cooled center section. Power balance is supported by a 79 trim 50mm turbine stage with an Inconel shaft-wheel mated to a 16.5mm A/R Niresist iron turbine housing. Maximum turbine speed is over 165,000rpm with a peak eshaust gas temperature in excess of 990 degrees Celsius."

goes on to say on pg 73, on ways to make it better....

"Since the engine came from teh 274bhp Mazdaspeed6, we know the turbo can handle a bit more boost, though it's approaching it's intended design limit. This is a cautionary not to you tuners: you can't simply add a boost controller and turn up the wich for more power. If you do, you run the risk of running lean and as well spinning the turbo faster (over-speed) than is safe or efficient and potentially destroying your engine...."

it also says the DISI system is being used on Begenholtz 1400hp drag car. i don't know how much Golden Eagle knows about the tuning side of the car. but they build the engines for him, so it might be worth shooting them an email (i'd actually call, as they don't do electronic stuff much) and seeing what they use on the system if you want big HP and worry about fuel.

just some reading tonight
'03 Lapis(mostly) 6i...Tranny swap by Gillis Motorsports : MTX-75 5speed tranny, 4.06 gears, Torsen LSD & chromoly axles, Engine build by Gillis Motorsports: 9:1 Supertech Pistons, Crower rods, Supertech valves, springs & retainers, ARP head & main studs, F2 Stage2 Turbo, Custom F2 engine/tranny mounts, 3" Turboback exhaust, Tein Basic Coilovers, Brembo Big Brake Kit and Rotora Rear Rotors, RacingBeat Front & Rear Sways, Seibon OEM hood, VF Engineering rear engine mount, Powdercoated Valvecover, TEIN hood dampers, Some sort of Body Kit from some company usually last dyno 8/23, 10psi...260HP/267TQ

Still need: Seat, cage, Gillis suspension...then i'm DONE!!

MrTea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2006, 01:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
for those that get Sport Compact Car, the newest issue covers the speed3 and says it uses the same turbo as the speed6 (which we know)

"for a stockturbo, it has a lot of trick features, including a compressor stage supported by a full-floating, journal-bearing, water-cooled center section. Power balance is supported by a 79 trim 50mm turbine stage with an Inconel shaft-wheel mated to a 16.5mm A/R Niresist iron turbine housing. Maximum turbine speed is over 165,000rpm with a peak eshaust gas temperature in excess of 990 degrees Celsius."

"Since the engine came from teh 274bhp Mazdaspeed6, we know the turbo can handle a bit more boost, though it's approaching it's intended design limit. This is a cautionary not to you tuners: you can't simply add a boost controller and turn up the wich for more power. If you do, you run the risk of running lean and as well spinning the turbo faster (over-speed) than is safe or efficient and potentially destroying your engine...."
it also says the DISI system is being used on Begenholtz 1400hp drag car. i don't know how much Golden Eagle knows about the tuning side of the car. but they build the engines for him, so it might be worth shooting them an email (i'd actually call, as they don't do electronic stuff much) and seeing what they use on the system if you want big HP and worry about fuel.
[/b]

They use a direct injection methanol system. Similar to a diesel (methanol) truck puller system. Our system is definitely not methanol compatible. But I'm not sure what they are using for a HP fuel pump, but I would like to get my hands on one.
turboaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2006, 06:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

[/b]
Interesting read, thanks man...
Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
yeh it was posted while back. Its the same turbo used in audi TT 225hp model 1.8t....[/b]
not convinced yet. if the compressor wheel is 2.4" dia, its's like a K04 hybrid, perhaps with K26 compressor. the audi TT does not have a 60mm (2.4") compressor wheel.

From Car and Driver:

"In Mazda’s new direct-injection version of the MZR 2.3-liter inline-four, fuel is squirted at 1885 psi directly at the spark plug for better atomization and more thorough burning. Mazda wanted the engine to flare, rather than explode, with power, especially from 2000 rpm to 5500 rpm, so the Hitachi Warner turbo, with 2.4 inches of compressor diameter, is on the small side for rapid spooling"
Old 08-18-2006, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to More cowbell

man do you guys just like to argue or is it a estrogen imbalance?? i give up.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
not convinced yet.

From Car and Driver:

[/b]
Ya, because magazines never get anything wrong... Nope, never.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Turbonetics T106 FTW.... LOL I'm a troll
[x] Non Sport Appearance Package
[x] TEIN S-Techs
[x] Nex-O M-20's 18x7.5 w/ Yokohama AVS ES100's
[ ] Vibrant Header

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 11.467 @ 121.460 MPH stroked + GT42R
[x]DONE!!!
HawaiianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.