Mazda 6 Forums banner

Oil filter wrench size

54K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Archerfish 
#1 ·
Anyone know the size of the oil filter wrench we need?

My buddy works at Volvo so he asked the tool guy when he comes around... The tool truck says he has one for a 2.3L Mazda 6 but that's all the information he has. So rather then buying it, getting it to me, getting under the car....... might be easiest if anyone knows offhand :) Or the dimensions.

#2 ·

My buddy works at Volvo so he asked the tool guy when he comes around... The tool truck says he has one for a 2.3L Mazda 6 but that's all the information he has. So rather then buying it, getting it to me, getting under the car....... might be easiest if anyone knows offhand :) Or the dimensions.
[/b]
The wrench and filters for the Mazdaspeed6 are the same for the Mazda6 2.3L.

You can get a free wrench if you order a 10-pack of filters from Rothensal Mazda:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=45518

Reactions: Silver6er
#3 ·

[/b]

76mm, 14 flutes, size B

#4 ·
Edit: I just did a search and apparently there are many different versions of a 76mm size with varying numbers of flutes. Guess I have to get another oil filter wrench. Please ignore the post below.

Ignore the following: Hey Red6, how many different sizes of oil filter wrenches are there? I have a 3" or 75mm wrench but counting the flutes I get 15, not 14. It's aluminum and made by Magnum. I have another filter wrench made by FloTool, called a Super Graphite. It's a "3" size (larger than the Magnum) but it also have 15 flutes. Do they really vary by number of flutes as well as diameter, so that the Magnum I have can't be used on the MS6?

Thanks!

#5 ·
Edit: I just did a search and apparently there are many different versions of a 76mm size with varying numbers of flutes. Guess I have to get another oil filter wrench. Please ignore the post below.

Ignore the following: Hey Red6, how many different sizes of oil filter wrenches are there? I have a 3" or 75mm wrench but counting the flutes I get 15, not 14. It's aluminum and made by Magnum. I have another filter wrench made by FloTool, called a Super Graphite. It's a "3" size (larger than the Magnum) but it also have 15 flutes. Do they really vary by number of flutes as well as diameter, so that the Magnum I have can't be used on the MS6?

Thanks!
[/b]
I bought mine at Autozone and all the ones they sell have a sticker indicating the size. You need a size B.

#7 ·
The wrench and filters for the Mazdaspeed6 are the same for the Mazda6 2.3L.

You can get a free wrench if you order a 10-pack of filters from Rothensal Mazda:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=45518[/b]
Link doesnt work anymore. This offer still stand? I'm looking at finding a conversion kit (to a regular screw on filter) or find a wrench that will fit it properly without spending an arm and a leg. I have the MS6.

#8 ·
I bought mine at Autozone and all the ones they sell have a sticker indicating the size. You need a size B.[/b]
+1.

Mine was 2.99 @ Autozone. It's black stamped steel and is labeled as size B. It's 76mm, 14 flute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.