I hate Bicycles NSFW. Thanks awacsdavid. - Page 5 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 AM
SC3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to SC3
QUOTE (L Train @ Jul 23 2008, 11:38 AM)
Quote:
Do you obey the road signs when you ride on the road? What about the path signs when you are on the path?

During my daily commute, I cross the W&OD Bike Path 2 or 3 times and run along side it on one of the roads. It's this road that I have the problem with and it's this road that makes me doubt how concerned or safely bikers are riding in my area.

The situation is this: Google Map of Intersection.It's this little 3 way intersection that just infuriates me everyday and I don't know if it's logistical and there is a problem with the design or if it is just the riders abusing the intersection. If you look at the map you will see that Virgnia Ln intersects with Shreve Rd. Running along Shreve starting at the intersection is the W&OD Bike Path. Before the intersection the path is running along the right side of Virginia Ln.

Everyone still with me?

Okay so the bike path while it is running along Virginia Ln is also the sidewalk and it crosses a group of driveways. There is a gradual but large decline from the bridge that crosses Rt 66 going down to Shreve Rd. There is obviously a stop sign on Virginia where it hits Shreve. There are also stop signs on the bike path where they cross Virginia.

Bikers see the hill as a way of saving energy and not needing to peddle for a couple minutes while they ride the momentum. This means that absolutely none of them are stopping at the stop sign if they are on the bike path. Thats a huge problem but it gets worse.

As some of you said, it's your right to choose to ride on the road rather than the path and that is where this gets worse. Due to the driveways many bikers decide that it's better to ride on the road down the hill and then jump on to the bike path after it crosses Virginia. This is a pretty heavily used intersection and these bikers are bolting across it like they have more rights than cars.

You guys see what I'm saying? Do you understand how I can say that I'm very conscious of bikers but get infuriated with them at the same time? You say I would be liable for hitting a person on a bike but I'm not the one who avoided a road sign.[/b]
I am familiar with that intersection. It is at the bottom of a steep hill so cyclists will be tempted to not stop.

Coming to a full stop is a pain for serious cyclists since their cycling shoes are locked into the pedal. I'm pretty sure most cyclists will look to see if any cars are coming.

If a cyclist is foolish enough to blow through the stop sign and you hit him you won't be at fault. The law is on your side.

However a suggestion made in Virginia was to make the cars stop and wait for the crossing to be clear before proceeding so that it will decrease chances of pedestrians and cyclists getting hit at those intersections. Right now it's the cyclists, pedestrians, and cars that have to stop and take turns crossing which leads to confusion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
QUOTE (L Train @ Jul 23 2008, 11:38 AM)
Quote:
Do you obey the road signs when you ride on the road? What about the path signs when you are on the path?[/b]
Yes, actually. I can't say I always come to a complete stop, but around Leesburg I definitely am cautious about road crossings.

I can see some confusion in that intersection, but being there is a hill doesn't excuse a cyclist from darting across for any reason.

That said, riding the W&OD is a helluva lot safer than the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page