Which Interior Cleaner To Use? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which Interior Cleaner To Use?

I've been showing my new ride off to friends and family over the holiday weekend. They are all insanely jealous of course.

It seems nobody could resit pawing the padded dash for some reason and now it has tons of finger and hand prints all over it. I absolutely HATE the smell and look of Armour All. What are y'all using to clean/treat the interior? My prior vehicles have had plastic dash material and a damp rag was plenty, but I don't want to screw up my brand new (and awesome) interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:28 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Thanked 3,971 Times in 2,789 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Well it's a good thing you hate the smell of Armor All - that stuff will ruin your interior over time.

Personally, I'm a sucker for anything Griot's Garage, and I've used both their "Interior Cleaner" and "Leather Cleaner" on the soft-touch with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage.../dp/B00J5CVOZY
https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage.../dp/B00IUE5S5U

Best part about their leather cleaners? They are "new car" scented and it is wonderful.

Also, take a peek at these threads found in my 3rd gen 1 stop shop thread:
3rd Gen Detailing/Car Care Thread!
How do you clean the soft-touch dash?
rmhpmi, Bluewolf and Jen like this.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
I've used Black Magic Pro-Shine interior protectant for over 20yrs. Does a great job. Also works good on any black cladding for the exterior, as well as seals.

Armor-All is garbage IMO. Whatever you choose, make sure there are no water based ingredients. That is Armor-All's downfall.
rmhpmi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I don't know how I missed those threads. User error is fairly common in my case.

I guess I didn't fully realize it but the dash IS covered in leather. I've used the rather old school Lexol products for a while but may have to give some of these newer options a try soon. These fingerprints are making me crazy
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
The padded dash on the GT is not leather, it is vinyl and a magnet for dust and finger prints. The only leather in your car are the seat trims,steering and the strip that runs in the middle of the dash. Like most modern cars, the leather in our mazdas is treated, so using leather conditioner does nothing to it. You cannot go wrong with Griots interior cleaners or Meguiars interior cleaners. If you want something from a more specialized towards leather, then Lexol is the go to favorite of most detailers. I personally use 303 aerospray for rubber,vinyl and leather. I am yet to find another all in one cleaner that maintains the original color, cleans and finishes with a matt shine on all surfaces like the 303 does.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
I've used Black Magic Pro-Shine interior protectant for over 20yrs. Does a great job. Also works good on any black cladding for the exterior, as well as seals.

Armor-All is garbage IMO. Whatever you choose, make sure there are no water based ingredients. That is Armor-All's downfall.
I have no experience with Armor-All, but water based ingredients do not deteriorate the finish. Majority of the leather cleaners and interior protectants including Lexol, Meguiars, Griots, ChemicalGuys, 303 are all water based. Infact, on heavily treated leathers like ours, products like 'leatherique' or 'leather-honey' will do more harm than good as they are supposed to be used on real,untreated leather. Using them on our interiors will be a nightmare to wipe them off and will be a greasy muck ! Even a 200k Mercedes S600 comes with treated leather these days, and all you need to do is keep them clean and protected from UV. Spray on your favorite interior cleaner ( Meguiars/Griots/303 etc) on a microfiber towel, and wipe down the interiors every few weeks, that's all.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilR View Post
The padded dash on the GT is not leather, it is vinyl and a magnet for dust and finger prints. The only leather in your car are the seat trims,steering and the strip that runs in the middle of the dash. Like most modern cars, the leather in our mazdas is treated, so using leather conditioner does nothing to it. You cannot go wrong with Griots interior cleaners or Meguiars interior cleaners. If you want something from a more specialized towards leather, then Lexol is the go to favorite of most detailers. I personally use 303 aerospray for rubber,vinyl and leather. I am yet to find another all in one cleaner that maintains the original color, cleans and finishes with a matt shine on all surfaces like the 303 does.
Thanks for the clarification MilR. I'm looking to keep the matt shine characteristics and just keep the interior clean and as free from these maddening fingerprints as I can. The all in one type of cleaner is what I am looking for so I may give the 303 a try.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilR View Post
I have no experience with Armor-All, but water based ingredients do not deteriorate the finish. Majority of the leather cleaners and interior protectants including Lexol, Meguiars, Griots, ChemicalGuys, 303 are all water based. Infact, on heavily treated leathers like ours, products like 'leatherique' or 'leather-honey' will do more harm than good as they are supposed to be used on real,untreated leather. Using them on our interiors will be a nightmare to wipe them off and will be a greasy muck ! Even a 200k Mercedes S600 comes with treated leather these days, and all you need to do is keep them clean and protected from UV. Spray on your favorite interior cleaner ( Meguiars/Griots/303 etc) on a microfiber towel, and wipe down the interiors every few weeks, that's all.
I'll clarify 2 things. One, Black Magic has no water based ingredients, which is why it's usually my go to. Two, I don't use it on my leather/pleather/whatever they name it. For that, I've been using Lexol. I use the Black Magic for the dash, door trim (other than the pleather behind the door handle) and any other exposed vinyl/plastic.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi View Post
Thanks for the clarification MilR. I'm looking to keep the matt shine characteristics and just keep the interior clean and as free from these maddening fingerprints as I can. The all in one type of cleaner is what I am looking for so I may give the 303 a try.

My go to for years is meguiars interior detailed. It doesn't offer any protection, it just cleans to keep the original finish intact. There is no oily residue or shine. I've used this stuff for years but I also don't park outside for long period of time. My car is garage kept at work and at home. If I parked outside often I'd use something with more UV protection.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by my95tsi View Post
My go to for years is meguiars interior detailed. It doesn't offer any protection, it just cleans to keep the original finish intact. There is no oily residue or shine. I've used this stuff for years but I also don't park outside for long period of time. My car is garage kept at work and at home. If I parked outside often I'd use something with more UV protection.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The UV protection is a good point. I garage at home, but don't have that ability at work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page