Please Help Me Fight The Sun - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please Help Me Fight The Sun

I recently bought a 16 6GT.

Living in AZ my fight is against the sun and dust. So much of both, everywhere.

My prior cars were a used cavalier that I took over w/25,000 miles and a huge crack in the plastic dash and a used corolla that had over 100,000 miles and some interior/exterior existing damage. Again, a whole bunch of plastic.

I've read some other threads and found out what is plastic and what is not and a whole bunch of information that has me spinning a bit.

I am switching to hand washing and think I have that process/product combo down.

I'm a bit lost on the interior though.

I'm looking to keep the interior from fading & being sun damage, while keeping it clean. Same for under the rear window.

Does anyone use a sunshade? The ones I have just rest on the desk and aren't snug to the window - snug is more effective and I'm willing to invest some $ here, but want to make sure I get one that fits/works.

I'm worried about the plastic on the HUD a little as well.

The car is garaged at home & work, but on the road for 2+ hrs a day into the sun in both directions of my commute. There will be times I need to have it parked outside for a bit as well.

I've read about 303 aerospace and other interior products.

I guess my confusion is what to use as a cleaner and then what to use as a protecting product. How much do you have to switch products between surfaces.

Are little detailing brushes worth it or can you get into the tight space by the knobs, controls, plastic bits with a q-tip/toothbrush.

Swifter the best for fighting dust? It seems to work OK, microfiber did nothing and many other items I've tried seem to just push dust instead of grabbing it. There is so much dust - always.

Thanks for any help you can provide - I know I'm probably overthinking, but this is foreign to me. I don't need it flawless, but I'd like to keep it looking as nice as reasonably could be expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I'm a supporter of the 303 Aerospace Protectant.

For the interior I use Griots Garage Interior Cleaner, on a microfiber towel. I don't use any duster type mops or hand tools as you have described. I just spray some product on the towel and wipe up.

After the surface is clean I use the 303 Aerospace Protectant on a different microfiber towel, spray on towel and wipe onto the surfaces. Been doing this remedy about once a week for a year and a half since I got my car and no issues.

As far as using brushes as you describe. I live in CT so not too much dust/dirt to deal with but sometimes when I do in depth cleaning once or twice a summer I just go to the dollar store and get paint brushes, usually get a couple for $1, and I spray some of the Griots garage cleaner onto the bristles to get to those hard to reach places.

If it's a real issue with dust then maybe for you it could be worth getting a nice brush or two. But I don't do it all that often so it's not really worth it for me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Try a sunshade from Weathertech. Awesome fit, right out to the corners.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Gerry - weathertech was one of the two that I was seriously looking at that claimed some level of vehicle specific fit - looks like it fits in pretty snug near the glass and doesn't lean 1/3 of the way up the dash, which any of the ones in my possession currently do

Ocean - thanks for the information as well - are both those products good for all the surfaces in there? Can go from the seats, to the dash, wheel, buttons and trim pieces? That approach sounds up my alley with an occasional stop at the vacuum and maybe a more serious clean of the mats/carpet every once in a while
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 03:38 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
303 is GOOD stuff, came from the aerospace industry, not greasy messy either.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:46 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
Try a sunshade from Weathertech. Awesome fit, right out to the corners.
+1 for the weathertech sunshade. I bought one based on the recommendations here and am very happy with it.

One caution -- the engine must be OFF before doing anything with the shade. That is, be sure you install the sunshade AFTER shutting down the engine, and remove it BEFORE you start the engine -- otherwise you'll whack the HUD panel thing.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saguaro6 View Post
Thanks Gerry - weathertech was one of the two that I was seriously looking at that claimed some level of vehicle specific fit - looks like it fits in pretty snug near the glass and doesn't lean 1/3 of the way up the dash, which any of the ones in my possession currently do

Ocean - thanks for the information as well - are both those products good for all the surfaces in there? Can go from the seats, to the dash, wheel, buttons and trim pieces? That approach sounds up my alley with an occasional stop at the vacuum and maybe a more serious clean of the mats/carpet every once in a while
303 is good for plastic,vinyl,leather everything. Using a dedicated leather conditioner is of little use since our leather seats and trim are heavily treated. But if you do want to use a dedicated leather product, then you cannot go wrong with Lexol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page