LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clear Bra PPF Installed

Ordered this clear bra kit from carprotectionpros.com - 2014-2015 Mazda 6 3M Scotchgard Clear Bra Paint Protection Deluxe Film Kit

The free installation kit includes instructions, a basic rubber squeegee, microfiber cloth, a DVD with how-to videos (the same one's on their website), and a small bottle of "Clear Bra Sealant" which they told me after I asked was Klasse All in One (good stuff).

I chose the Deluxe Kit which includes partial hood, fender tips, upper/lower front bumper, mirror backs, and though there's no mention, the guys cut out door handle cups and door edge guards too. I paid extra for the Scotchgard PRO series and if you're new to clear bras and plan to DIY, I recommend doing the same. This was my second attempt. The first time, I ordered just the bumper kit in regular Scotchgard film. That stuff was hard to work with, at least for someone who's never done it before. It's not very forgiving and after I installed it, I wasn't happy with all the mistakes I made and ended up peeling it off. There were too many lift lines from repositioning, squeegee marks and scratches, marring and stretching from forcing out bubbles.

I thought about professional installation but the shops I asked wanted to use their own film, and they were giving me quotes like $1099 starting for just partial hood and full bumper.

I decided to try it again myself but this time with 3M PRO series. The reviews I watched and read about it are true. It's much more forgiving and flexible. It forms easier to curves and edges, and the best thing is it has a self-healing clear coat so you don't have to worry about scratches. It's also very clear and the edge lines are almost invisible. You can only see them when you're really up close and behind the film's edge. So, this second time around the results were much better.

*I did full paint correction and detailing beforehand with clay, DA, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, and IPA wipe down.

Badbenz94 likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redsoul For This Useful Post:
Badbenz94 (12-09-2015), Donkey Grundle (11-19-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 11:26 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Groans: 22
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Well done! I opted for XPel on my bumper but wish I had added the partial hood now. I was more worried about the seam than anything. How did the hood seam come out for you?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Garage
Sounds like just the kind of thing I'd completely F up! Great job on yours though, looks great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ 2014 M6 iTouring ~
- 20" Versante wheels
- Corksport SRI
- Corksport Axel-Back Exhaust
- LED Interior Lighting
- XuJi Black Suede Steering Wheel Cover
- GP Thunder 8500K Xenon Low's/High's
- 35% / 20% Llumar Tint
- VLED rear tail lights & side markers
- Centric cross-drilled brake rotors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Grundle View Post
Well done! I opted for XPel on my bumper but wish I had added the partial hood now. I was more worried about the seam than anything. How did the hood seam come out for you?
Thanks. When looking head on from about 4 feet away you can't really notice any seam. In the overhead shot, you can barely see the edge. Pointed out here, see in full view

When you're standing at the side of the car looking down the hood or at certain angles when it catches the light, the edge becomes visible but it really doesn't stand out and bother me. It follows the arc and curve of the hood and lines up with the edges at the fenders so it looks like it was an OEM option. The most important thing to me though was having that extra protection from rock chips and road rash so I could just have peace of mind and enjoy the drive.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Thanked 1,101 Times in 805 Posts
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Results look great!

Better yet, there's a kit available for the 2nd-gen!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn17 View Post
Sounds like just the kind of thing I'd completely F up! Great job on yours though, looks great.
Hey, my first try was a nightmare..

Didn't have an extra hand so handling that one big bumper piece by myself was a disaster. Had the film fold onto itself a couple times and creased it pulling it apart. Had bubbles and fingers at the edges I tried to force out and ruined the film. Note - if you have small fluid bubbles in the film after installing, don't try to squeegee them out if the film's already tacked. The liquid will migrate out and evaporate on its own. I found one dime sized and a few smaller liquid bubbles in the film the day after I installed it, but I didn't touch them. They slowly got smaller and maybe the 4th day they were totally clear.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
I did the expel as well, which is a lot thicker than 3M - AKA a bitch to install yourself. I have a few bubbles that never disappeared but w/e - protection was more important.

Yours, however, is as perfect as they get man! Nice job.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
May bit be everyones cup of tea but i was also in the same boat. Having worked at a body shop and having removed 3-10 year old protectives in 1" pieces i opted out of that. So i decided to check out wraps for shits and giggles. Found a company called Raail. Its like dip but lays perfectly smooth. Can be matte, satin, full gloss. Fully reversible and very durable. I did my snoflake into a satin superman blue body, gloss black roof and mirrors. Drove on 2 very long road trips behind semis and etc. front took a beating, nithing cut through the paint down to the original paint. Will peel in april and then stay white or full gloss copper with gloss black wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1447960637181.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	166729   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1447960680092.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	166737  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
wow you did a really good job on that! I thought the first few pics were before shots, showing off your paint correction. Really couldnt see the edges until the last few close-up shots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page