15' Mazda6 GT ~ New Car Detail & Prep ~ Optimum Gloss Coat - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool 15' Mazda6 GT ~ New Car Detail & Prep ~ Optimum Gloss Coat

Purchased a new 15' Mazda 6 GT w/ Tech Package last week.

Dealer never washed it or detailed it by request and I actually got to watch them peel the stickers off the hood & rear of the car.

Friday morning I began the detailing & decontamination process.

Foamed
Rinsed
Dried
IronX
Rinsed
Foamed
2 Bucket Method
Rinsed
Clayed
Dried

Polished w/ Flex 3401
Sf4000
5" White Hybrid pads
IPA wipe
Coated Paint w/ Optimum Gloss Coat
Coated Exterior Trim w/ CarPro Dlux

Not too shabby if I do say so myself

Here are the pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coat1.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	134561   Click image for larger version

Name:	coat3.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	134569   Click image for larger version

Name:	coat4.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	134577   Click image for larger version

Name:	coat5.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	134585   Click image for larger version

Name:	coat6.JPG
Views:	834
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	134593  

Click image for larger version

Name:	coat8.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	134601   Click image for larger version

Name:	coat9.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	134609   Click image for larger version

Name:	coat10.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	134617   Click image for larger version

Name:	coat14.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	134625   Click image for larger version

Name:	coat13.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	134633  

Last edited by TumbleWeed; 12-09-2014 at 10:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TumbleWeed For This Useful Post:
Yasawy97 (05-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

And the final outcome!

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Oh yea, and got the front Windshield tinted with 5% and I also got all the rear windows done in 5% as well

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Groans: 22
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Well done. I had my 6 coated with Opti-coat Pro after I purchased it, but unfortunately the dealer had already added several scratches that didn't come out in the "single-step polish" that my detailer did. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish that I could have peeled the stickers off myself. It was so difficult to find a liquid silver MTX that I had to take what I could get (250 miles away).

Congrats and good luck with keeping it flawless!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Donkey, this is EXACTLY the reason why I don't EVER let my dealership hack detailers touch my car.

When I ordered it, I specifically requested (demanded) that they DO NOT WASH OR DETAIL my car in any way, shape, or form.

I told them if they did, i would NOT buy it but will instead go to another dealership who will respect my wishes and order another one. lol

This left them puzzled as they Never heard of a request such as this!

To them, "clean" is all that matters. …but to me, that's just not acceptable!

I expect flawless results …..because that's what I strive for!

So when I finally did get the car, there wasn't much to correct because their hacks didn't get the opportunity to scratch or marr the paint.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Rally Racer

Garage
Yup, wish I had done the same. Seeing as you know your stuff with paint protection, I'd like to pick your brain a bit, if you don't mind:

1. I had the Opticoat Pro done by a professional because I thought that he would correct any scratches before applying the coating. He obviously did not. Is there anything that I can do about the scratches/swirls that were sealed under the Opticoat? I assume no, but figured I would ask.

2. I'm going to add a few trim pieces to the car (fog light eyebrows, scuff plates, etc). Would you recommend coating those with CarPro Dlux? I've never used it before, but want the trim pieces to have the same protection/watershedding of the Opticoated surfaces.

3. Did you coat your wheels with anything? My detailer coated the faces with Opticoat and the brake dust washes off in the rain. I plan on getting new wheels and wanted to give them a similar treatment, but obviously I don't have access to Opticoat Pro.

4. My current strategy for the future with the car is performing maintenance washes with Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine. Is there anything that you would suggest beyond that? Maybe a sealant of sorts?

I hope I didn't overwhelm you there, TumbleWeed. Thanks for any help that you can provide.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Donkey… I'll help the best I can……

1) If he was a "pro", then shouldn't he have noticed the scratches and at least offered to polish them out before applying the OCP?

Unfortunately I had the exact same problem when I had the dealership from my last car "professionally" apply a coating. I was shocked that they didn't bother to even offer to polish out the paint BEFORE applying the coating. I assumed that they did that already and that was part of the package….NOPE! They didn't even bother to offer which is what REALLY irked me and so from that point forward, I knew that i couldn't trust them and so I decided it would be best to "learn" how to do it the Right Way and save $$$$ in the process!

So to answer your question, you can either wait the two years or so it takes for the coating to start degrading and wear out, and then polish it……OR…… You can simply machine polish through it now, do the corrections on just that one panel, and then just re-apply it yourself.
You may not be able to get Opti-Coat Pro, but Opti-Gloss coat is available to the public and is the same to apply and is easily just as durable since they last the same amount of time. Cquartz UK is another great coating that has the same life expectancy on a vehicle…all of these usually should last for up to 2 years. but this has to do with how YOU take care of your paint within those two years!!!!!

2) Yes, absolutely! I covered ALL my Trim & Wheels with Dlux. This stuff will keep black plastic cladding looking great in Any weather for up to a year and repels not only water but dust and dirt too unlike dressings. Highly Recommended!!!!!!!

3) see answer #2

4) I would not recommend putting any kind of sealant or wax on top of a coating. For one, the sealant won't be able to bond to the coating like it would be able to with a clear coat, and two, sealants attract dust and wear out very easily compared to a coating. Sealants don't help coatings in any way, shape, or form.

ONR is great stuff….. I would also recommend getting a large bottle of Carpro Reset as it was designed for coatings specifically ….. this stuff will REALLY make your coating shine & pop.

If there's anything else….don't hesitate!
Take care,
®ick~
Donkey Grundle (12-09-2014)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Rally Racer

Garage
Can't thank you enough, TumbleWeed. I just put in a massive order with Detailed Image for some stuff that I had been wanting, along with Iron X, Dlux, and Reset. I don't feel comfortable with doing any paint correction myself yet (hence why I hired a pro), so I'll just wait a few years and get some practice under my belt before I try to redo the coating.

I forgot to ask you if you treated the glass as well. I went ahead and ordered Carpro's FlyBy30, which sounds like a semi-permanent Rain-x without all the streaking. Figured it was worth a shot for $15.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

You're welcome, and no prob.

I actually order all my detailing products from my friends over there at AutopiaCarCare.com as they always have great deals and their customer service is impeccable.

As for glass…..yes, I do coat that as well.

Last year I ended up purchasing Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass kit while it was on sale.

The water spot remover works amazing at cleaning the windows perfectly before adding the coating that comes with it.

Now, the Pinnacle glass coating is nice, sheds water like crazy, and lasts for up to 3-4 months before having to reapply it again….which to me is perfectly fine as it doesn't take long to do at all. seriously…..

But I really do want to try Opti-Glass Coat to use on my glass instead of the pinnacle.

It's just that the Pinnacle spreads so thin that I'll have a bottle of this for at least another year or two before running out. lol

Let us know what you decide on…
Take care~
Donkey Grundle (01-15-2015)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Grundle View Post
Can't thank you enough, TumbleWeed. I just put in a massive order with Detailed Image for some stuff that I had been wanting, along with Iron X, Dlux, and Reset. I don't feel comfortable with doing any paint correction myself yet (hence why I hired a pro), so I'll just wait a few years and get some practice under my belt before I try to redo the coating.
If you want some cheap practice on paint correction, go to a body shop and ask if they have any damaged panels you can have. I got several fenders and hoods that way. If it doesnt go well, youre out $20 on compounds and pads as opposed to several hundred on a respray. Its much easier to experiment when you dont care about your final outcome!
The Following User Says Thank You to chawski For This Useful Post:
Donkey Grundle (01-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page