Ceramic/quartz coating - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 05:19 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was looking at Ceramic Pro 9H too.
Your result convinced me to go for it.
How many coats did you actually apply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajdzin View Post
If I were to guess it's not the physical thickness but the chemical composition, but it could be a combination of both. One thing I know - after 3 months with Ceramic Pro 9H on my car I absolutely love it - I don't have to wash the car as often and it looks like a show car on a display for at least a week after the wash. It's very water-repellent, too, like the best wax. Minus the effort of having to wax it, now and for several years. This was a good investment, because it's making me smile every time I go down to the garage...

Ceramic Pro was one of the most expensive options, but the only one I could find that didn't require any additional, periodic treatment. You apply it once and forget about it for the next 4-5 years. That's what I needed - I juggle 3 professions and time is a luxury commodity

There are some things I'm pretty good at. Photography is not one of them Very difficult for me to capture that "wet look"... It doesn't quite come across here:

PS. No - not my wedding. I've been married for 15 years now Here I'm driving my band's bass player and his bride to their wedding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xherion View Post
Was looking at Ceramic Pro 9H too.
Your result convinced me to go for it.
How many coats did you actually apply?
Zero I had my local authorized Ceramic Pro shop do that while the car was still at the dealer's, just when I bought it. I have no idea how many layers they put on - I vaguely remember it was 5, but I may be wrong. But it took a 2 guys 2 days on their knees with little applicators in one hand and a flashlight in the other - it's lots and lots of work to apply this thing, it seems. Last month it was the first anniversary so I took it for the top layer refresh with Ceramic Lite - this is recommended once a year.

Still very happy with the results and if I were buying another car I would do the same application. One thing I noted is that about 9 months into its first year, the coating lost its hydrophobic (water repelling) properties. I got quite alarmed, but then re-read the literature I got with the original application and realized I'm supposed to use a special liquid twice a year to preserve the hydrophobic effect. It's very easy to apply, I did it and the car car body became perfectly hydrophobic again, now I keep a bottle in my garage and will do it every 6 months or so.

What else... the Ceramic Pro coating does not protect from things that will really scratch your body paint, like a stone on a highway or the bottom of a suitcase pulled out of the trunk by my son - a nasty scratch on the rear bumper I had it polished and it's almost invisible now, then I talked my Mazda dealer into giving me the original, self-adhesive, transparent film strip for the rear bumper. Unfortunately, the strip is not wide enough, there's some bare bumper surface on the extreme ends of the strip, and my son's friend has just given me ANOTHER scratch just where the strip ends... But all that has nothing to do with Ceramic Pro, it's a nano-thin layer, so however hard it is, it can't protect from serious injuries to car paint.

It does protect from the scratching properties of ordinary dust and dirt, which is what it's supposed to do. The sun reflected in the hood is not surrounded by a net of thin lines, as is the case with all other cars in the parking lot. Final note: peering into those other cars' hoods will produce suspicious looks from their owners, as I have recently found out

Hope this helps...

Marcin Bruczkowski

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gajdzin For This Useful Post:
Xherion (09-17-2014)
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thanks for your inputs.
Oh even for 5 layers you need to refresh top layer with Ceramic Pro Light every year?
The special liquid that you applied every 6 mo was given by the vendor?

Thanks, your input is very helpful.

Your liquid silver 6 looks awesome BTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajdzin View Post
Zero I had my local authorized Ceramic Pro shop do that while the car was still at the dealer's, just when I bought it. I have no idea how many layers they put on - I vaguely remember it was 5, but I may be wrong. But it took a 2 guys 2 days on their knees with little applicators in one hand and a flashlight in the other - it's lots and lots of work to apply this thing, it seems. Last month it was the first anniversary so I took it for the top layer refresh with Ceramic Lite - this is recommended once a year.

Still very happy with the results and if I were buying another car I would do the same application. One thing I noted is that about 9 months into its first year, the coating lost its hydrophobic (water repelling) properties. I got quite alarmed, but then re-read the literature I got with the original application and realized I'm supposed to use a special liquid twice a year to preserve the hydrophobic effect. It's very easy to apply, I did it and the car car body became perfectly hydrophobic again, now I keep a bottle in my garage and will do it every 6 months or so.

What else... the Ceramic Pro coating does not protect from things that will really scratch your body paint, like a stone on a highway or the bottom of a suitcase pulled out of the trunk by my son - a nasty scratch on the rear bumper I had it polished and it's almost invisible now, then I talked my Mazda dealer into giving me the original, self-adhesive, transparent film strip for the rear bumper. Unfortunately, the strip is not wide enough, there's some bare bumper surface on the extreme ends of the strip, and my son's friend has just given me ANOTHER scratch just where the strip ends... But all that has nothing to do with Ceramic Pro, it's a nano-thin layer, so however hard it is, it can't protect from serious injuries to car paint.

It does protect from the scratching properties of ordinary dust and dirt, which is what it's supposed to do. The sun reflected in the hood is not surrounded by a net of thin lines, as is the case with all other cars in the parking lot. Final note: peering into those other cars' hoods will produce suspicious looks from their owners, as I have recently found out

Hope this helps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xherion View Post
Thanks for your inputs.
Oh even for 5 layers you need to refresh top layer with Ceramic Pro Light every year?
The special liquid that you applied every 6 mo was given by the vendor?

Thanks, your input is very helpful.

Your liquid silver 6 looks awesome BTW
Thanks From what I understand the annual refresh with Ceramic Pro Light is not mandatory, but recommended, since it makes the base layers last much longer. As for the liquid that "closes the pores" of the top layer (as the vendor explained it) yes, they gave me a bottle this time, it's a new product that wasn't on the market yet one year ago, when I had the original application done. It's in my garage, I'll check what it's called later today and report here. BTW, not using that liquid is not harmful to the Ceramic Pro layers, it simply refreshes the hydrophobic effect.

Marcin Bruczkowski

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Ive got eckbond on my car. Ive had it on for about a month and really seems to work well. Its been raining for almost a week straight, so ill be interested to see how it washes once it finally gets nice out
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Arrow

It's normal choose nanotech is the supplier of ceramic pro
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 11:14 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have tried it once and found it good and content, but after using Optimum Opticoat everything changed.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So it's been 4 yrs, how has this ceramic coating held up?
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Dixon View Post
So it's been 4 yrs, how has this ceramic coating held up?
So far, so good. Last August I had my annual ceramic coating checkup and its lifespan extension with an application of Ceramic Light, they said the base coat is holding fine and should last at least another year.

I'm glad I applied Ceramic Pro when the car was new, but I doubt I will apply it again after 4th or 5th year, for purely financial reasons - the British played a nasty trick on me with the Brexit, my son is about to start his studies at a British university and as soon as the UK leaves EU the fees will double for EU citizens... Who knows, I may have to sell my Mazda 6 then and buy and old Skoda

Marcin Bruczkowski

post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So I called a the Cquartz licensed person in my area and get a quote. It will run me $1400 + tax to do the whole car. Seen many posts where people are getting it done for $800-1200 so I hope I can find someone a little cheaper.

He told me the new CQUARTZ Pro is replacing the finest and has been reformulated. They added now Finest Reserve which runs you nearly $2300 to get it done... Pretty insane.

I have already a scratch on my car, I guess somebody in a parking lot drug something along the car, it's like 15 inches long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page