What should I pay for a Mazada6 that...... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Mazda6 (Atenza) > Release / Pricing
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2004, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What should I pay for a Mazada6 that......

OK. I'm looking for a rough estimate on the total amount to be financed on this (forget about taxes). Its a Mazda6 S, gray metallic with sport package, luxury package and 6-disc CD (oh, and sport grill). Thats it. No moonroof, no side airbags.

The Mazda MRSP says $24,850. As I understand it, there is a $1,500 rebate. I have a small trade-in and plan on putting some money down, but I need to know how much I should typically expect for a dealer to come off MRSP prior to trade in and money down.

In general, does this mean that I can expect to take $1500 off of MRSP and maybe get it down a little more (or not). Or can you get the right dealer down to around $22,500 and take rebate ($1,500) off this. I realize it varies from place to place, but any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Also, what is an "invoice price?"

I have not bought a new car in many years and just trying to get the best deal possible. Thanks for your help.

edit: Invoice was calculated at 22,600. Will dealers come down lower than invoice?
LouisIV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2004, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Moderator

Default Reading Topic: What should I pay for a Mazada6 that......

You should be able to walk out the door for right around the invoice price, not counting your trade-in or down payment. A $1500 rebate is pretty much cancelled out by the taxes.

I assume, based on the rebate amount you stated, that you're looking at an '04 model. You should be able to offer at or around invoice with little trouble. Can you go lower? Sure. Open lower. But don't expect too much lower on an '04 model. Maybe a couple hundred at most.

The exact amount you want to pay is up to you, but don't pay more than $23,100 -- $500 over invoice ain't too shabby for neither you nor the dealer and definently should be your ceiling.

The way rebates work is that you work out the price you're willing to pay before you talk about anything -- trade, rebates, etc. All that stuff is just gravy.

Let's say they accept an offer of $23,000 (which they almost certainly will if you stay firm). You then take off $1500 for rebates. You then take off your trade (let's say $3000). You then make a down payment (let's say $1500). Taxes will end up probably in the neighborhood of $1000.

So you end up financing just $18,000.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pisadong
Default Replying to Topic 'What should I pay for a Mazada6 that......'

You should be able to get the car close to, or right at invoice. Invoice is the supposed cost of the car to the dealer. That should be about $22,600 with the options you listed. When you sit down with the salesman speak only of the price you want to pay. Say nothing of about your trade-in, rebates,amount you want to put down, whether or not you financing and especially NEVER negotiate based on the monthly payment you want. These are all basic car buying tips, forgive me if you know that already. BTW, I got my car at invoice without any rebates and it took about 15 minutes of haggleing.

After you arrive at the price you want to pay and the dealer is ok with, then figure out your trade value. You might want to consider going with the finance deal Mazda has going of 2.99% APR combined with a $500 rebate, instead of the $1500 rebate and getting your own financing. Unless your trade-in and downpayment are going to be in excess of $10000 total, you will end up paying less per month and total with the low APR deal compared with a 6% or so regular loan. Even if your trade is only worth $1-2K and you put down a similar amount in cash, your monthly payment will only be in the $360-390 range for 60 months.
pisadong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2004, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

Thank you for your help. Yes, its a 2004. I am negotiating with a dealer right now and hope I can be successful. I almost jumped the gun in my initial purchase price, but backed off and did some more research (like finding this forum).

Great tips and thanks again. Looks like a great place and I hope to be talking about my new car soon.
LouisIV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2004, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by pisadong
Unless your trade-in and downpayment are going to be in excess of $10000 total, you will end up paying less per month and total with the low APR deal compared with a 6% or so regular loan.
Well, my credit union lists 3.49% as the current rate. I'd take that and the rebate over Mazda's 2.99% and no rebate myself.

But yeah, as with any car purchase get as close to invoice as you can BEFORE any rebates or trade-in is added in.

NoUse4Aname is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2004, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MZ6ZoomZoom
Default Reading Topic: What should I pay for a Mazada6 that......

OK, I can't stress this enough:

IGNORE THE REBATE WHEN NEGOTIATING.

Try to negotiate to within $500 of invoice, BEFORE rebate. The dealer isn't giving you that rebate, the manufacturer is, don't listen to them when they say "because of the rebate we can't go any lower."
Administrator, Mazda3Forums, SmallVolvos, FordFusionClub
QuickCobalt.com - Chevrolet Cobalt Club

Boston Area People: http://www.bigbostonboard.com/
MZ6ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2004, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to CopperHead

Quote:
Originally posted by MZ6ZoomZoom

* * * * * * OK, I can't stress this enough:

IGNORE THE REBATE WHEN NEGOTIATING.

Try to negotiate to within $500 of invoice, BEFORE rebate. *The dealer isn't giving you that rebate, the manufacturer is, don't listen to them when they say "because of the rebate we can't go any lower."
Be Aware of what the Rebates are. The $1500 is a manufacturer-to-dealer rebate. This leaves it up the dealer if they want to include this in their negotiations. You are not entitled to this rebate.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pisadong

It seems to depend on what state you are in. I know in CA that it is actually a manufacturer to consumer rebate, in some states a factory to dealer rebate. Might have something to do with the indiviudal states laws governing these things.
pisadong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2004, 03:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Learners License

In ca when you hear rebate it is always manufacturer to consumer. You wont often see factory to dealer rebates for 2 reasons. they arent inteded for the customer. and 2: its not really something that gets advertised like a rebate only dealers are told of them. Consumers find out about them thru car buying websites.. Never be suprised when dealers wont give it up, they usually wont.
turnbull15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2004, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rebates:

Suffering from a little bout of paranoia here. Can anyone definitively answer my question?

I negotiated a deal for about invoice on a new '04. The vehicle had to be ordered from the factory. It's the case that buyers get the rebates in force at the time of delivery, not the time when the contract is signed--unless you drive the car away from a lot.

I was told that when the car came in, the rebates in force at that time would be deducted. In the rebate box on the contract N/A was filled in.

This "N/A" has begun to prey on my mind. Can they argue later that the contract I signed was for a price *after* invoice and they don't recall any conversation about taking them off at delivery? The dealership seems honest, but in the world of car-buying paranoia reigns. I wouldn't like to have a screaming match on the day I pick up my new 6. I'm afraid my feelings would rub off on my future relationship with the car.

Please don't respond unless you really know. Uninformed opinions will only help to drive me to the loony bin.:)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.