98se5speed's 04 Wagon Build Thread - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
98se5speed's 04 Wagon Build Thread

Bought this wagon for a good price on March 7, 2015. Didn't think I was buying another project car, but I did. I guess it explains the low price.

For the initial story on buying this car and everything I did to try to get it to run right with the original engine, see this thread.

This thread is dedicated to installing my new 08 Fusion engine (12k miles, $400) and general mods and improvements I perform from here out.

After 7 days of driving around with a spare Fusion engine in the back of my Montana, I finally got it out of the van last night (May-14).

While it was on the hook, I pulled the exhaust manifolds, PS pump, and started removing wiring and such that I won't need.

I was hoping the manifolds would have some ebay value, but the front one is cracked and the rear one got slightly crushed with a bit of catalyst dust visible in the exit pipe. Ah well.

Since I had the upper intake off, I decided to lay it next to my 6 intake for comparison. Aside from 1 extra sensor seen in the upper left of the Fusion manifold, they're identical. So now I have a spare to grind on and modify for the 3.7 TB upgrade

Speaking of throttle bodys, I compared the 6 and Fusion units. Other than the poke-yoke rib being on opposite sides, the connector is identical. I trimmed the rib off the Fusion TB, plugged it into my car, and it did nothing. Hopefully I didn't mess it up. Plugged my stock TB back in, worked normally. I plan to look at some 6 vs. Fusion wiring diagrams, maybe it's an easy mod to move a few wires and get the Fusion 3.0 TB working. Worth a shot.

That was about it for night 1. The MPV laughs at its Duratech-eating cousins. I checked the oil last night since I know it's due for a change. In 4500 miles since the last change, which included ~2000 miles of towing a ~2000 lb trailer, it lost about a quart. This is with 193k on the clock. Damn I love that van.

More to come... soon I hope.
onyx2005 and HamptonRoader like this.

James - Ann Arbor, MI
2004 6 wagon (3 pedals ftw)
2004 MPV ES (family transport perfection)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 98se5speed; 05-15-2015 at 12:38 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 98se5speed For This Useful Post:
NavyOps (05-16-2015), rcherr642z (06-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Great color too!

04 Wagon S -
post #3 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks man. I love the dark grey exterior of my first wagon, but the light grey interior and manual trans of the new wagon win for sure. It's gonna be a great car once I get it in order. Yours looks great.

James - Ann Arbor, MI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been following this for a while and will continue to do so. Been doing a similar thing recently with my buddy's 2001 Mustang GT. Engine is currently stripped at a shop and being hot-tanked. Crank went in for a grind to fix the one cylinder that lost a main bearing. So far my Mazda wagon is running fantastic other than needing a new set of coils and plugs. I have the 5-spd auto with the factory trans cooler and it's great, if a bit short on mileage (wife averages about 19.5 with it and we see about 25-26 on highway trips). It does tow our little 4X8 utility trailer very nicely, so there is that. Good luck with the engine swap!

2008 Magnum SRT-8, Brilliant Black Crystal
2004 6s wagon, SGM/Black
2004 GTO, Quicksilver/Black 6-spd LS1
1995 Legacy LSi wagon, The White Walker
post #5 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the support. Really can't wait to get this car on the road, but I'm just too busy lately with work and kids to dedicate much time to it.

On a slightly positive car note, I had to rent a van for work for a week, so I parked my shitbox Montana at work and have been driving this for the last 4 days. Pretty smooth ride, and that Chrysler 3.6 has some bawlz. Drove it from Chicago to Detroit the last 2 days, a beige minivan with nearly 300 hp is both amusing to drive and attracts very little attention.

Now that I've spent some time in a new Caravan, I wouldn't mind eventually getting the wife one of these...

since I used to have one of these...

Ok, enough minivan love. I sometimes can't help myself. Loved that 88, was probably my favorite car of all time.

James - Ann Arbor, MI

post #6 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Minivans are for the debbil...

2008 Magnum SRT-8, Brilliant Black Crystal
2004 6s wagon, SGM/Black
2004 GTO, Quicksilver/Black 6-spd LS1
1995 Legacy LSi wagon, The White Walker
post #7 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't know this term "debbil", but I assume it means "smart/practical person."

Although in all honesty, there's nothing "mini" about them any more, which is what we love about our MPV. But alas, we will eventually have to replace it as our primary family machine. Need to have something to haul the kids, our stuff, tow our camper trailer a few times per year... minivan is just the best tool for the job. I can't get on board with all the bigazz "crossover" SUVs (Acadia, Explorer, Pilot, CX-9, etc). Too poser for me, huge swing-out rear doors for my kids to bang into things, and typically less overall space than a minivan. Oh, and they cost more. Fail.

As for getting dad to work and the occasional short family trip... the 6wagon gets it done like a boss. The kids love getting tossed through a few turns. Wife... not usually.
HamptonRoader likes this.

James - Ann Arbor, MI

Last edited by 98se5speed; 05-20-2015 at 12:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 98se5speed For This Useful Post:
APudysz (05-20-2015)
post #8 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finished getting the Fusion wiring harness off the new engine last night, took off the front valve cover to take a look. So beautiful. Definitely planning to use the Fusion valve covers. Just so new.

HamptonRoader likes this.

James - Ann Arbor, MI

post #9 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
No progress in a while. For fun the other night, I put the Fusion valve cover on the engine in my grey car (100% stock 6 engine with upper intake and valve covers off). I think the real test is the rear cover, since things are so tight with the shock tower and such. Guess I'll try that next when I have 5 minutes to spare. About all the time I ever have for cars these days...

James - Ann Arbor, MI

post #10 of 107 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Took a minute last night to look at the PCV situation on the Fusion vs. 6 valve covers. Both PCV valves/fittings were broken off the Fusion engine when I bought it. I worried that I'd have to buy ~$38 "heated PVC valves" to fit into the Fusion VCs. Luckily, the stock 6 PCV valve goes right in. Thanks Ford for not re-inventing that wheel.

However on the front VC, they had only a fitting, no valve in it. Same as the 6. Anyone know why you wouldn't have a PCV valve on each valve cover? Seems odd to have one side valved, and the other one free to flow in both directions. As if you're only "protecting" half the system.

The attachment method is nearly the same on both VCs, only the front one has one of the 2 locking tabs larger than the other so you can't accidentally install a PCV valve on the front. Can be done with a tiny bit of dremel work, which I think I want to do as long as no one gives me a good reason why you shouldn't have a PCV valve on each head.

Hoping to pull the blue car in the garage this weekend and start on the engine pull. I decided that it makes the most sense to get the junk blue engine out first, then work on putting the grey car back together. That way, I can use any parts off the blue car engine that might be needed (or in better shape) as I put the grey car engine back together. Mainly thinking timing chain tensioner/guides, as I think they are kinda noisy in the grey car, and I know they're silent in the blue car. Despite burning insane amounts of oil, the blue car engine is at least 10x cleaner inside the valve covers than the grey car engine. I think it was a well-maintained car by the previous owner, the dang precats just screwed it one day.

James - Ann Arbor, MI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page