Mazda 6 Forums banner

Canadian6's Wagon

9K views 55 replies 12 participants last post by  Canadian6 
#1 · (Edited)
Figured I might as well make a proper build thread in this section where it belongs :p

My cars a 2004 Mazda 6 Wagon Atx, current mods as of Jan 08 14 are:
Engine

MSDS headers and catless y pipe
Injen Intake
CPE Maf Customizer
Injen Catback Exhaust
3.7 Optimized Throttle Body
Throttle Body coolant bypass
EGR Mod
Accel 4v Mustang Cobra Coils

Suspension / Exterior
Tein S.Tech springs
Plasti dipped sport grill
Door guards removed

Currently

Winter Mode

When I first picked it up with only 75,000km on the clock

My first "mod" some 6club decals

Then I got bit with the modding bug, got myself an injen intake and a set of MSDS headers which I installed with some buddies in the parking lot of my baracks

The bolts were so rusty we had to end up cutting of the old y pipe with a dremel, a buddy of mine doing the work while I take pictures :p

After that I picked away with a few small things, bought a guage pod (that I still haven't installed) a sport grill which I plasti dipped black and painted my engine cover

S.Techs came shortly after thanks to my gf couldn't have asked for a better birthday present. I don't miss the 4×4 look

The next day I went to work on the door guards, I can't believe how much better our cars look with them off!

Very recently I finally found an Injen exhaust for a good price so I couldn't resist, I'm loving the sound and am actually getting some puzzled looks from people when I'm driving around now. And that brings us to current time, I'm waiting on a 3.7 OTB that should be here fairly soon. Plans for the future include buying a fusion motor and slowly building it up with my dad with forged internals, high compression pistons, ported upper and lower intakes and head work to start off. The future looks bright!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks man! Means alot :) and I'm not really sure lol I want to get some but at the same time I really want to build up a forged motor , decisions decisions haha

#6 ·
I'm not 100% sure but I think they're OEM, they were on the car when I bought it.

#7 · (Edited)
No real updates on the build, just decided to mess around with my new camera and a trial version of photoshop. I still have no idea what any of the buttons do or what the numbers I'm changing mean with this thing so half the pictures were garbage, I did end up with a few not bad ones, sadly all taken from the exact same spot just with different settings lol. Thought I'd show them anyway!

I actually really like this one with no color

after looking at all these it just makes me want to get wheels even more....They might just be at the top of my list.

#8 ·
Got my throttle body installed today! And if you're even slightly considering this mod go get it now lol. The power change down low is very noticeable and the torque increase feels very substantial, up top the car really keeps pulling, plus you can really hear the CAI sucking now too. Went for a drive and had quite afew people turning their heads trying to figure out where the sound of it and the exhaust were coming from, most looking right passed my car haha.
You can really see the difference in the two here

#11 ·
Update time!! I've got some very nice parts on the way here that I'm very excited for! Actually getting two at once this time that really go together that I finally was able to find for a good price. I'll keep everyone guessing for now with just this bit of info, they'll compliment my already done mods very well :D

#12 ·
Need vid of injen exhaust with your other mods please! I hope she's treating you well:thumbup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 · (Edited)
I will definitely try and get one up soon, I've only been home for a combined 10 or so days in the past 4 months so I haven't had much time to do anything haha, I just got back today from a week away for work. And she's treating me amazingly well, I love it and couldn't be happier I get nothing but compliments about it, thanks again!

#14 ·
Well I'm just gonna come out and say what I got haha, a real Injen intake and a CPE Maf Customizer, after over a year of searching I finally found one at a good price! The pair was such a good price I didn't bother asking to separate them...So if anyone wants the Injen copy intake thats on my car now for dirt cheap let me know lol :p
Picture Time!

#15 ·
Finally got a video of the exhaust! Was out looking at a car for my sister and since the car was warmed up thought I'd get her to record it. The video doesn't really do the exhaust justice, it's so throaty at idle (which you can kind of hear if you turn it up) and throughout the power band. I'll try to get a video of me driving with my GoPro in the near future as well. Not really sure how to post videos so here's the youtube link for now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpaMyPeN6pM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#17 ·
Wow that sounds amazing! More throaty than i remember. I'm guessing that's due to the headers?

once you add that intake you're going to cream yourself! I know I did!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#18 ·
Thanks! And I wouldn't doubt that the headers have something to do with it, they made quite the difference in the stock exhaust.

#20 ·
Thanks for the kind words, the header installation wasn't too bad, I did mine with just a ratchet set and one powerbar with the car up on jackstands. I picked away at it a few hours a day while I was at work so it took me quite awhile. But with proper tools and working on it constantly I could see it being done in a day, sooner if you have access to a hoist.

#22 ·
I noticed a huge difference as soon as I pulled away, really couldn't be happier with them.

#23 ·
Quite the update today! I've been thinking and talking about it for awhile now but it's finally happened, the Wagon is never seeing another Canadian winter and is now a designated summer toy. I ended up getting a 1995 Jeep Wrangler, which was actually my first car that I replaced with the wagon so I suppose you could say I've come full circle haha. Big things are on the horizon I can promise you that so stay tuned cause this might just get crazy ;)

#24 ·
Couldn't help but snap a quick pic when I was leaving work today. Can you believe this is what It looks like just out the back door?

#25 ·
After a couple solder burns I got the maf customizer installed today and have come to the realization that I need bigger and better tires if I want any kind of traction lol. I'm consistently braking loose around 4k when walking on it in first, might even have to look into an LSD. Installation was actually pretty easy too.

#26 ·
Well it's kind of a sad day. I sat down and started seriously looking into forced induction and possibly a manual swap since i'm kinda running out of things to do to the old girl. After looking at every possible way and I just don't see it happening. I'm not sure about you guys but I have the most fun when i'm wrenching on my cars, don't get me wrong i love driving but the fun for me is taking a rig and building up an engine and modifying it to my tastes. I'v come to the conclusion that I've gone as far as i'm gonna get with the 6 so I'm sadly putting her up for sale to fund my next project (RWD American muscle). I'm not really looking at parting it out since i don't have my stock manifolds or exhaust anymore (unless someone wants to trade :D) but I have a few spare things kicking around so i'l probably have a FS thread in the near future for some parts, and the car for that matter. I'll still stick around here as i see myself grabbing another 6 as a DD in the future but we'll see what it holds. Thanks again for everyones kind words on the wagon, it really meant alot and got me engaged in the community. Gotta say this is the best forum I've been a part of and i had a sweet time while it lasted.

#28 ·
Yeah you could say it was kinda short lived I had the car for around 2 years but just started modding it when I joined here, I just miss Rwd so much lol. And thanks for the kind words, makes me feel pretty special being someone's inspiration :p And what parts were you looking at? I've already had a few local offers for the entire car, it's got quite a following here lol. If it doesn't sell and If I can find a stock exhaust I'll probably part the whole thing out and sell it with only the headers then sell the rest on here. And I'm a big American muscle fan, I've got my eyes on a 2nd gen camaro and an old Dart with a built 318 right now.

#35 · (Edited)
Well I know I said I was going for a classic american RWD car as my next project but sometimes a deal comes along that you can't pass up on. As meatloaf once said 2 out of 3 ain't bad so I am now the proud owner of an awesome classic JAPANESE RWD car. Behold the blank canvas that is my totally stock literally barn fresh 1971 Datsun 510 two door!

Stopped at Walmart to get some supplies for the 6 hour drive home, you can see the wagon in the background all jealous

waiting in the ferry terminal to get back on the island

Yes my barn fresh find is driving on the highway! After checking the fluids and a few hiccups for the first few kms she straightened herself out and drove 600km back home!

The plan is to dress her up with a 70 or 80s vibe to it, no modern engines or transmissions efi or stuff like that just a bare bones pocket rocket.

#37 ·
So far parts have been fairly easy to come across, hopefully it'll stay that way haha

#39 ·
Sorry for the delay things have been crazy busy lately. I'm not really sure what's gonna happen with the Mazda right now there's alot of options open at the moment and I might even end up holding on to her in a detuned form for a daily rig and if I do that I'd like to keep the guards. If I do end up selling it I'll try and snag the guards for you though :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.