2014 Mazda 6 impressions - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Media > Picture/Videos
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default 2014 Mazda 6 impressions

On New Years Eve, I went into the local dealer to get an oil change, and I saw my first '14 6 in-person, a GT. As of now, it's still the only one they have, although they've said they've taken a few orders already...

Anyway, here goes:

As much as I love my '10, and my '04 before that, Mazda REALLY hit a home-run in the styling department with the '14. Definitely a "sporty" entry into the midsize class, it looks like nothing else, and IMO blows everything else away, the new Fusion coming a distant second...

I'll admit that the tail lamps look very similar to the Sonatas, but the fact that the lenses are partially blacked out make them more subtle, and therefore not as loud or obnoxious as the Sonata. The lip spoiler is also very subtle, but IMO it's a must for this car.

It just screams "Get the f*ck out of my way!"

The 19" wheels look impressive to me, and the wheel gap is fine IMO. I still don't understand why they didn't go with 18" wheels as standard on the GT with the optional 19"s, or offer 18" as options on the Touring...

One bit of good news: the POS Michelins are gone! At least on the 19" wheels, they're now equipped with Dunlop tires.

LOVE the LEDs in the headlamps. Not like Audi or Lexus, distinctive all their own. Definitely more aggressive than either the 1st or 2nd-gens.

Opening the door, I'm immediately struck by how simple, yet sophisticated, the door panel looks. Logical controls, with subtle red stitching in the leather armrests. Don't like the smaller door pockets compared to my 2nd-gen, a detriment to most midsize sedan buyers I'll bet...

Overall, the interior is definitely a notch or two better than the 2nd-gen, which IMO is still one of the best-in-class, compared to even the newer competitors. I'll go far as to say it even puts Acura and Audi to shame, since IMO they aren't much (or any) better for an extra $10-15K. The red stitching on the leather surfaces is a very nice touch, and the seats are comfortable, supportive, and look to still be that way after a 12-hour road trip.

PLENTY of space in the back. The drivers seat is set for my 6'1", 260-lb frame, and there's still plenty of room for me to sit behind me, if that was possible... Seats are comfortable in all four places in the cabin, and yes, those are vents for the rear passengers (more on those later).

Despite my shitty Galaxy Rugby Pro pictures, you can see the straight-forward controls, easy to understand, and you're not stuck with some iphone-based computer that freezes up on you mid-trip, or you can't tell that the "buttons" you press are actually doing what you want them to... (hello, MyFord Touch, Cue, I'm talking to you...) Mazda wisely remembered that your primary purpose when it a car is to DRIVE, not email, text, or surf the web with a computer that's as finicky as your office workstation.

Same with the gauges: simple, straight-forward, and gives you what you want, when you want it. Something Mazda has been simply great at since the 1st-gen...

...which leads me to the steering wheel. Thick rim, 3-spoke design, simple. A few too many buttons, but they're easy to understand and easy to use. You can see the paddle shifters between it and the turn-signal and windshield wiper stalks, all of them easy to understand and use as well.

Didn't get a pic of the trunk, but as I've stated before, it's still a good size, useful, and despite the reverting back to goose-neck hinges, is more impressive than the Accord.

Gripes? A couple. Those rear-seat vents cut into the storage space within the center console, so the bin is smaller than before, and the upper tray that was integrated into the console on the 1st-gen, and became a smaller, pull-out tray in the 2nd-gen, is gone altogether on the 3rd-gen. That, and the smaller door bins, aren't very useful as before. There's now a bin that's under the center stack, but it's out in the open... I'm also disappointed that the red-lit gauges are now replaced with white lighting. I won't go into the (lack of) engine and options/packages, since I've never understood their methods on this from Day One.

Overall: Outstanding! Of the 3 gens, this is easily the best in styling, quality, fit-and-finish, and overall packaging. If it drives and handles half as good as it looks, I've found my next car, hands-down.

Injen SP Intake | Tinted Sidemarkers | H9 3000K Fogs | 6000K HighBeams | Triton V3 Switchbacks | Full LED Taillamps
"Then he takes out a cigar and enjoys the ride" - Byakuya

Last edited by Mz6GreyGhost; 01-05-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Mz6GreyGhost is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mz6GreyGhost For This Useful Post:
Aviboy97 (01-06-2013), BowelEruption (01-05-2013), Byakuya (01-07-2013), Gavintech (01-06-2013), itboy21 (04-10-2013), JohnSnowNW (01-06-2013), Le Mans Fan (01-06-2013), legacy4life (01-07-2013), MaxCarnage (01-05-2013), mmceorange (01-07-2013), Passenger57 (01-06-2013), washburn (01-05-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there,

Here is the interior of my new 6 Atenza. Also the only variation in the body that depicts the Atenza from the Sports, Touring and GT are the closed in emblem on the front to accommodate the radar cruise control camera and the lane departure warning camera on the front windscreen. No badging, body kit or metal pedals either.

Hi

Voodooeyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Not a deal breaker, and really not too terrible, but I don't really like the steering wheel buttons. It looks too generic. The 2nd Gen looks much better, IMHO.

Also, same problem I have with the 2nd Gen center console armrest, it's not long enough, or at least unlike my old GTI, doesn't look as though it's adjustable (GTI could move forward or back).

Small complaints, but that's what comes to mind from the pictures.
JohnSnowNW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Groans: 14
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSnowNW View Post
Also, same problem I have with the 2nd Gen center console armrest, it's not long enough, or at least unlike my old GTI, doesn't look as though it's adjustable (GTI could move forward or back).

Small complaints, but that's what comes to mind from the pictures.
I don't know how you can tell that from the pictures. The center armrest DOES in fact adjust forward and back.
Gavintech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavintech View Post
I don't know how you can tell that from the pictures. The center armrest DOES in fact adjust forward and back.
Glad to hear that, just didn't look like it did.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Not a deal breaker, and really not too terrible, but I don't really like the steering wheel buttons. It looks too generic. The 2nd Gen looks much better, IMHO.
I can understand that. I prefer buttons over toggle switches, so IMO the 3rd-gen steering wheel is my preference, although it still looks a little busy with all the buttons. Nowhere near as bad as the center console of the Accord though...
Quote:
My 2nd-gen armrest slides back and forth...

Injen SP Intake | Tinted Sidemarkers | H9 3000K Fogs | 6000K HighBeams | Triton V3 Switchbacks | Full LED Taillamps
"Then he takes out a cigar and enjoys the ride" - Byakuya
Mz6GreyGhost is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post

My 2nd-gen armrest slides back and forth...
Hmm, well, it's the wife's car, and we've only had it a month. I tried moving it on our most recent trip, and couldn't...perhaps I should check it out again.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello, new to t forum +all the over in the UK! Enjoyed OP, Just saw the new 6 here a week ago and ended up putting in an order! Should be getting it at the end of Jan.
richardedwardhood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Nice write up. I definitely will not be getting one. Reason number one is position of the e-brake. Maybe at 6'1" it is not in your way but at 6'8" it is definitely in mine. Aside from that are those silver bits in the front and rear. I mean why? Take the time to photoshop them out if you want but all it takes is a minute or two in paint and it already looks way better. Also I do not know that I agree about it looking nicer inside. In fact it feels really segmented to me which in my mind is not attractive. Finally not to get into this to heavily but people really should not just shove aside the engine options. That is a huge factor to me. There just is no way I'd give up all that power even with the weight reduction it just will not make up for it.

All that said the car is built and designed so I am not expecting anything from saying I do not like it simply just putting out my opinion. Honestly I really hope others do like it and buy it. I need them to so that they can do a fourth gen and hopefully get that one right for me.

So thanks again Mz6GreyGhost for taking the time to write that up and show all those pictures. I still need to go into my dealer and see one in person.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

Car looks sexy as hell. But if they don't make an AWD then I just cannot buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.