Mazda 6 Forums banner

JJKALAI's Mazdaspeed 6!

21K views 75 replies 26 participants last post by  Jjkalai 
#1 · (Edited)
Traded in the old Steel Gray 6 for this car and I'm loving it! I'll miss the 6i with all the hours of work I put into it, but this car is amazinggg. Definitely an upgrade that I won't regret.

Bought this sucker with 39,000 miles!

Engine/Transmission mods:
- Cobb AP
- CP-e 3 inch single exit exhaust
- CP-e Nano SRI
- Protege Garage Turbo Inlet
- JBR Spherical weighted shift knob
- Forge V1 BPV
- JBR counterweight
- JBR shifter bushings
- Dashhawk

Suspension/Wheels
- HKS Hipermax LS+ coilovers
- Evo X Enkei wheels
- Falken ziex 512 225/40/18

Appearance
- Car_LED Tails
- DDM 35w 3000k HID's (Fogs)
- Badgeless grille
- Mazda OEM window visors

This this is a blast to drive and I can't wait to fully mod this thing!

:)

First bought:

Current Setup:

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow that sunset really makes the pearl-esk paint shine! Looks good and congrats on the upgrade.

#4 · (Edited)

The mod bug has already bit and I already went plasti-dip crazy. Did the front grille, emblems, and taillights lol

Reactions: ericdsommers
#7 ·
hope your going to move the CARLED tails from the old 6 to the new. :eek:

#10 ·
he sold the carLEDs to the girl who bought his 6...along with his rims too.

#12 ·
UPDATE:

Swapped out the TIP. Excellent throttle response now. I can't believe Mazda would put such a crappy part on our cars... Thing looks like a pancake.

Aftermarket next to stock:

#13 ·
New car is looking good man, I'm still weeping a little bit about your old car but I've attended a few meetings and it's helped. :burnout:

Seriously though, digging the new ride and looking forward to that mod bug biting you harder. :drive:

Reactions: Jjkalai
#15 ·
Reactions: DataWraith
#16 ·
Hey Jjkalai, looks really good! I have an 05 steel gray (like your old one) and I just plasti-dipped my emblems. I was looking to do my taillights too as I have the ugly red casings... Did you you remove your lights from the car to spray them or just mask out the middle of the lights and then overspray the plasti-dip onto the paint?

#17 ·
Thanks Eric.

What I did was just masked off the circles and plastidipped over it. The Las Vegas desert dust eventually stuck to it like crazy, so I eventually took it off. I still have my emblems though.

#18 ·
Did you have to take it off the slat of your front grill as well? Seems odd that the LV dust would settle on the taillights but not on the grill too..... I wonder if some clearcoat would help with dust or whatever else may want to stick? I like the idea of using plasti-dip instead of the full taillight painting since this is so much less work and I like the matte black look (which i could probably get from paint too)

#19 ·
It's weird cause it doesn't stick as much compared to the taillights. I think it's mainly because when I drive it, the air just blows it right off the grille. When I plasti-dipped it, I did take the grille off. It only took 10 mins.

Reactions: ericdsommers
#20 ·
I went ahead and plasti-dipped stuff this weekend and had good luck with the front grill and sidemarkers (copied what you did, thanks!!), but my taillights look really ghetto.... I didn't make them dark enough and when i took the tape off it managed to peel off some of the plasti-dip with it so I don't have a clean line...

Looks like I'll need to pull the lights out and just paint them afterall. What did you use to remove the plasti-dip off your tails? Acetone or just sandpaper? Did you paint yours on your current 6 after removing the plasti-dip?

#21 ·
I just pulled the plasti dip off with my fingers. Right now I'm just running the stock tails until I get the car_LEDs .

#23 ·
No interior shots yet, since it's stock.

Just keep searching! They pop up more often than you think!

#24 ·
LOL....sorry for the threadjack JJ, just asking in case anyone else was weirdly curious, what the hell and where the hell is that pic of the dude with the glasses from? Just been buggin' me in a good way!

Bye.

#27 ·
Installed the JBR SSP with the counterweight. Works amazing and the shifts are so short now!

#28 ·
Figured I'd do an update since I've been slacking on it lol

My CP-E Single exit. Amazing quality and sound. I'll try and do a video of it later.

I originally had a rattle from the exhaust... Looked underneath and found it hitting this piece of sheet metal. Grabbed a hammer and folded it up. Exhaust rattle gone!!

Boost gauge w/ Block8head vent pod.

I originally had a cell phone mount I bought my AP to monitor with but the thing was cheap and broke. Resorted to just mounting it next to my shift knob with velcro for now. Holds just fine and can be taken off easily.

Current interior setup.

#30 ·
Thanks! Much appreciated!

I've done enough performance mods for now IMO. I think it's time to get a decent drop (waiting on my eibach pro kit) and do some visual mods (maybe CAR_LED tails).

#32 ·
You could easily find a wrecked one and iirc it'll fit in the non-speeds. I too love the CF center console.

#33 ·
Finally lowered on the Eibach pro-kit.

Love the look and performance upgrade. It really got rid of the body roll around corners and reduced the nose dive on braking and squat on WOT. Definitely worth it.

Reactions: Hixster
#34 ·
Welp, I think this picture has convinced me to go lower witht he Eibachs.

Looks like I would be able to clear my driveway with that drop.

Has it settled totally yet? Or was this picture directly after install?

Lookin good.

#35 ·
Thanks.

I took this picture yesterday and I've had them on for about a week. I got them used, so I'm pretty sure they're already settled. I do still have a slight wheel gap since I'm on 225/40/18's. Time to get an alignment...

They're not too low and I haven't scraped over speed bumps yet going head on. I haven't had to spider crawl yet either. I like them, but I kind of wish I went a little lower in the rear. I'm planning to eventually switch to coils anyways so that doesn't really matter. Soon enough, I'll get my perfect ride height.

#36 · (Edited)
New wheels...

Paint in progress :)

Attachments

#37 ·
^^^ nice! but why does your car look A LOT lower in that pic compared to the ones from a week ago lol

#38 ·
Because of the stockers + new tires in the back. The Pro-Kit drops the MS6 pretty low. I can barely stick my foot under my bumper, and my low-pro jack barely clears it. The road that I park my car on curves toward the sidewalk, so it kind of looks a little higher than it should be.

#40 ·
IIRC, RX8's are wider than stock wheels.

So it makes it look like its tucking more tire?

#41 ·
Yup. Stock wheels are 18x7.5 while the RX-8's are 18x8.

The first picture I took of my car lowered had 225/40/18's on. On the RX-8 picture I'm running the 225/45/18's I have. A combo of the bigger sidewall tires + wider wheel + weight in car gives it more of that tucking tire look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.