How to: Photograph Your Mazda6 - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-2006, 09:56 PM

very very very nice pictures ... i like them a lot, and yes vignetting can be a really effective trick. I use it a lot too haha

<strike>2004 Mazda6s 5-speed BOSE+full package</strike> ---> 2006 Acura TL:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 01:03 AM
SC3

Send a message via AIM to SC3
Finally, someone has put up sensible advice for taking good pictures. I&#39;m tired of telling people how I take good pictures. Now I&#39;ll just link them here.

I would put composition section as being more important.

Well here&#39;s some of my pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 11:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to BabyBlue M6 Send a message via MSN to BabyBlue M6
anybody have advice or tips for my picture taking skills....

i&#39;m obviously an amature but i&#39;m starting to get interested in photography. i could use some tips because i&#39;d like to learn as much as i can. Great thread by the way....i have been messing with my camara since i read this thread to experiment. I&#39;ll just share a few of my shots....

Sony Cybershot 7.2 MP

*don&#39;t take offence...just messin around*</span>
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 12:53 PM
chachachow

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:

COMPOSITION

Rule of Thirds
<<CLICKY<<
Anyone with the slightest bit of interest in photography needs to know the rule of thirds if they don’t know already. I try to follow it as much as I can. The gist of the rule is to not always have your subject or object of interest smack dab in the center of the photo. I try to place horizon lines on the bottom third or on the top third.

[/b]

Heyy, can someone post an example of this? I&#39;m interested but don&#39;t understand it too well.

thanks!
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Heyy, can someone post an example of this? I&#39;m interested but don&#39;t understand it too well.

thanks!
[/b]
I don&#39;t know if you checked the simple verison of the Rule of Thirds but this is real easy to understand...

http://photospot2004.blogspot.com/2004/07/...-of-thirds.html

Shows picture example...

03 GTI 1.8T = 210.4 whp - 275tq!

*Wife&#39;s DD*--06 6i Sprt ATX / Lapis Blue
Mods:18x7.5 ADR M Sports in Hyperblack w/ Kumho Supra 712&#39;s 225/40/18
Xtec 35w 5000k HID H1s - Blue Headlight Rockblock - 06 NA Black Tails - Airbox mod...
CF Fuel Door - Magnaflow 4" Exhaust Tips - Eyelids - Tinted markers/reflectors/3rd brakelight
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to HedsIc
Don&#39;t center the subject!

OK, the composition police aren&#39;t going to come knocking on your door should you break the rule, but it&#39;s a good guideline.

See, when most people shoot an image, they stick the subject smack dab in the center. Yawn.

Sure, sometimes it can&#39;t be avoided—maybe you have a subject that fills the frame and centered is really the only way to go. You may also run across a composition where anything but centered wouldn&#39;t look right. It happens, but not usually.

I&#39;ve found that at least 90% of the time I can get a better image by moving the subject off center. Just how much off center—and in what direction—is the trick :-)

There is a compositional rule known as the "Rule Of Thirds". Basically, it says to mentally take your viewfinder and divide it up into thirds—both horizontal and vertical. Where the lines intersect are the "power spots" (say that with a deep booming voice and an echo for the full effect). Try to put your subjects as close as you can to the intersections.

Here&#39;s an example of how this works. The frog is right on one of the intersections

Even if the subject doesn&#39;t look right placed smack dab at an intersection, try to keep it along on one of the lines. For example, if you have a landscape photo, try keeping the horizon either on the top or bottom line—don&#39;t run it right through the center of the image.

In my experience, this technique is a solid foundation for composition. It&#39;s where I start every time I look though the viewfinder. In fact, once you do it long enough, you&#39;ll find your compositions will become as much instinct as thought. You&#39;ll simply wiggle the scene around in the viewfinder until the comp feels right.

For example, in this shot the lady bug is close to an intersection and lies along one of the lines. It&#39;s not exactly on the mark, but this is generally what happens. You try it various ways, and end up close to an intersection or line.

Another cool "Rule of Thirds" trick is to try to string your subject from one third of the frame to the opposite third. It gives it a nice flow and is almost a guarantee of a powerful image. You can usually do this just by changing camera position

I know, you may not like snakes all that well, but look at how, from the head down, it flows along the grid lines. I started with his head (or her head, I didn&#39;t check) close to an intersection and moved the camera until I had the composition I wanted:

Here&#39;s the same effect with a waterfall. The main part sits in the top left third, then flows to the bottom right third:

OK, I want to stress that the Rule of Thirds isn&#39;t a hard and fast rule. I break it all the time. Sometimes elements in the photo simply don&#39;t lend themselves to a textbook "Rule of Thirds" composition. So, I fiddle around with it as much as possible. Bottom line: use it for a starting point and then adjust as needed. If you&#39;re shooting digital, taking the picture is free, so try it several ways.

Finally, when using the rule of thirds, pay careful attention to the rest of the image. You may find that you need to change the camera position to make the composition balance better. Just sticking a subject on a random intersection doesn&#39;t guarantee a great photo (a lesson I learned when I first started shooting).

In this last example, the waterfall not only sits on a line, but on two intersections. It was good, but not overly interesting until I found a tree for added interest. So, I moved around until I had the composition below. The waterfall is the main subject, but it&#39;s not just hanging out there, all unbalanced.

The trick is to use everything in the photo to add to the composition. Try all 4 intersections - you&#39;ll probably find that one will jump out at ya!

Give it a try, have fun, and watch how much more powerful your images are.

(by the way I didn&#39;t write that lol)
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Track Racer

A couple of other tips:

wide angle lenses distort so you get a different perspective on things. This was taken with a 17-40mm on a full frame digital camera (35mm equiv frame size). I was standing just in front of the car.

The ever popular tilt the camera shot car mags love. As a pro photographer told me, FTFF (Fill the F&#39;ing Frame)

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 03:33 PM

very helpful for someone like myself trying to learn.

2006 performance white 6i(mtx)/audio setup/debadged/removed door guards/painted grill/white led parking lights/blue led door lights/12 h.p. seat covers/airbox mod(soon aem cai/Hids/Custom shift knob/wheels(hopefully)/lots of fun
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 04:18 PM

Groans: 2
and please. NO TANGENTS.

make sure your photograph emphasizes your car; not the tall uninteresting building that is behind it. (is this a photo about your car or the skyscraper?) make sure there is a focal point.

^just my 2cents

2007 MAZDA6s 5-door (tungsten gray)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page