Mazda 6 Forums banner

3.0 V6 excessive oil consumption

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  waughoo 
#1 ·
So I have read most posts about PVC valve being rubbish. Had mine for over a year and every four days a quart of oil is used, intake manifold has excessive oil inside by PVC hose plus oil from front breather hose in front air filter to intake.

So been thinking hard over the year of how to stop the oil from reaching intake. Brought oil catch can and fitted to front hose just to see how much is coming from front, I didn't think there would be much and there wasn't, knew intake was sucking oil.

So how to fix rear hose/PCV valve letting oil passed? So I needed to figure out how, tried putting a foam filter in hose and that just gets covered in oil and let's it go pass.

Conclusion is extend the hose so oil has further to travel and route it so any oil will drain back to PCV valve. Brought two foot hose routed around EGR valve. Changed oil and filter. Set level so I could monitor, well that was Saturday and it is now Tuesday and about 150 miles and oil is full as set after the oil change. Will keep checking and keep updating forum.

#2 ·
I have never seen a fix for the oil consumption problem other than "replace the engine", which I did just after buying my car. For my full story of diagnosis attempts and engine replacement, check out the thread in my signature.

I ended up putting in a 2009 Fusion V6 with 10k miles on it. Got it from a place in Warren for $275. Ended up needing a head gasket and some repair due to slight damage to the front head when the Fusion was wrecked, but it was worth it in the end. They were willing to exchange the engine for another one, but I think the one they suggested had 120k+ on it. I was happy to do a little work to have an engine with 10k on it. I actually just hit 30k on that engine this past week.

Feel free to hit me up directly if you ever need help w the car. While I'm not exactly close to Royal Oak, I'm all for helping a fellow Michigan wagon owner out ;)

#4 ·
Sounds like a good tip, maybe post your finding on the main PCV thread.

Mine loses under a quart every 5000 miles plus I drive it kinda hard, so I don't have any concerns. When I first bought the car, it was using about a quart per 100 miles if I remember right.

#6 ·
My 2.3 loses a quart every 1,500 miles. I recently just added some Lucas "Engine Oil Stop Leak" and it seems to be working so far. At 241k miles I understand the oil consumption issue but it would be nice to fix it. My buddy wants to rebuild the engine, which is tempting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.