Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shopping

Hi all,
I've been shopping for a car for many moons now. I was pretty much decided on an Optima EX, with or without the panoramic roof. A couple of days ago a bug bit me, I thought, "Mazda, hmm, why not?"
I'd shopped the 3 and the 3 hatch but after driving probably a dozen cars and still concluding the Optima EX is the best bang for the bucks and has what I want (dual zone, heated seats, more power than the Soul, longer range/more MPG than the Soul, more comfortable ride) and a better deal than Sonata, I went and drove a Mz6 Touring today. Nice car.

Sticker for the Touring with the Preferred Package and the Sunroof/Sound package is about $28,800. Initial lease negotiations for 3/36 are $3000 down and $277/month. That's high compared to Optima but the Optima is a 2016 and there's buckets of cash on the hood. Optima lease is $284/mo 3/36 with $00 down for a $30,085 sticker price car, per their website and the dealer has said he'd follow those numbers. His initial offer (at KIA) was $400/mo with zero down. Screw that.

Just curious what peoples' Mazda lease negotiations were like. I'm shopping Brown Mazda in Toledo.

When I was checking out the Mz6 specs, I saw the 19s and thought wtf. But the strongest impression driving the car is "this sucker has BIG FEET and they are PLANTED!" I don't know if that's tire effect or just the way the car is set up. I didn't drive the base model with 17s.

I've driven numerous Optimas, Sonatas, Elantras, a Golf, Mazda3, Cruz, Acura ILX, Civic hatch and sedan, but the Mazda6 is the only one with BIG FEET SOLIDLY PLANTED feel to it. Thanks for any comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
The Mazda will definitely be the better driving car, if not necessarily the fastest.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.
The Following User Says Thank You to GerryB For This Useful Post:
Neanderthal (03-21-2017)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to toy4x
First off, this is a mazda 6 forum so there will be a biased review.

The 3rd gen mazda 6 is a fantastic car. Very, very little issues or none at all plague this car. Hard to find a car that is this well built in the engine/transmission/ body /suspension / etc.

My good friend bought the Kia optima and regrets his decision. After 20k miles, he says his car feels cheap and wishes he would have bought the 6. Then again, I bet if you go to a Kia optima forum, you'll get the reverse occurance.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Mazda 6 GT Reflex Blue Mica
Black Chrome 19" Stock Wheels
Formula 1 Pinnacle Ceramic Tint 30% * Air Blue 80 Windshield Tint
OEM Splash Guards
AIO Tweaks
Tanabe Medalion Exhaust & NF210 Lowering Springs
Koni FSD Shocks / Struts
The Following User Says Thank You to toy4x For This Useful Post:
Neanderthal (03-21-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 696 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Thanked 3,804 Times in 2,654 Posts
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Garage
Welcome to the forum!

Like toy4x said, obviously we're going to be a bit biased here.

I will say, after having test driven Accords, Chevy Malibu, Nissan Maximas, Camrys and Corollas, there's nothing in the segment that will compete with the Mazda 6's handling, and that's what sells me on Mazda every single time.

Honestly, the OEM Dunlops on the 19" rims are pretty garbage, so if you slap some nice tires on there, you'll be even more planted, and that's why we all love our cars so much. As much fun as it is to go 0-60 or 0-100 quickly, it's still just a straight line. Cornering is where the real driving fun happens.

I've got just about the most miles on the forum (that I'm aware of) as I near 100k after over 4 years of owning the car and I don't regret it for a second.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

Who would have thought a businessman would be good at running a giant business?...
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

The Following User Says Thank You to Byakuya For This Useful Post:
Neanderthal (03-21-2017)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
The Mazda will definitely be the better driving car, if not necessarily the fastest.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.
It seems so. And I'm not after fastest. Just bestest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x View Post
First off, this is a mazda 6 forum so there will be a biased review.

The 3rd gen mazda 6 is a fantastic car. Very, very little issues or none at all plague this car. Hard to find a car that is this well built in the engine/transmission/ body /suspension / etc.

My good friend bought the Kia optima and regrets his decision. After 20k miles, he says his car feels cheap and wishes he would have bought the 6. Then again, I bet if you go to a Kia optima forum, you'll get the reverse occurance.

I've had my Soul for 24,000 miles and 2 1/2 years. It doesn't feel any cheaper now, and this is my 3rd KIA so I will defend my home boyz. D-I-L just leased a new Sorento after 80+K of hard miles on her 2008. Two boys, four dogs. Hilly city. Her third KIA also.

That said, I REALLY like the feel of the 6. It's different from the other dozen cars I drove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Like toy4x said, obviously we're going to be a bit biased here.

I will say, after having test driven Accords, Chevy Malibu, Nissan Maximas, Camrys and Corollas, there's nothing in the segment that will compete with the Mazda 6's handling, and that's what sells me on Mazda every single time.

Honestly, the OEM Dunlops on the 19" rims are pretty garbage, so if you slap some nice tires on there, you'll be even more planted, and that's why we all love our cars so much. As much fun as it is to go 0-60 or 0-100 quickly, it's still just a straight line. Cornering is where the real driving fun happens.

I've got just about the most miles on the forum (that I'm aware of) as I near 100k after over 4 years of owning the car and I don't regret it for a second.
Thanks! I expect a little bias. No worries!
Agreed the OE tires are junkers. That's one area the makers seem to be sadly consistent, with a few exceptions. OE tires are good for 1.) holding up the car and 2.) resale to the unsuspecting.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
Oh I forgot to mention 1 more important thing....well it's important to me at least and I like to brag

There's no online community like the one we have here. There are other Mazda forums, even other Mazda6 forums, but the other moderators and I do our best to make this place as family-friendly and helpful as possible. We've had more than a few people join here and tell us it's a breath of fresh air compared to other public forums.

Ask us anything you'd like before you buy and we'll do our best to help coerce you into becoming one of us

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

Who would have thought a businessman would be good at running a giant business?...

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Oh I forgot to mention 1 more important thing....well it's important to me at least and I like to brag

There's no online community like the one we have here. There are other Mazda forums, even other Mazda6 forums, but the other moderators and I do our best to make this place as family-friendly and helpful as possible. We've had more than a few people join here and tell us it's a breath of fresh air compared to other public forums.

Ask us anything you'd like before you buy and we'll do our best to help coerce you into becoming one of us
Thaxx, Byakuya! Any opinions on the dealer offer? I'm considering a counter of 1500 down and 268/mo. That will just about offset tires and the GPS.

Oh, is the Mazda GPS worth 400 bucks?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to toy4x
The 3rd gen is pre-wired for nav. It's just an SD card. You can find them on ebay for approx $150

2016 Mazda 6 GT Reflex Blue Mica
Black Chrome 19" Stock Wheels
Formula 1 Pinnacle Ceramic Tint 30% * Air Blue 80 Windshield Tint
OEM Splash Guards
AIO Tweaks
Tanabe Medalion Exhaust & NF210 Lowering Springs
Koni FSD Shocks / Struts
The Following User Says Thank You to toy4x For This Useful Post:
Neanderthal (03-22-2017)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:24 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Thaxx, Byakuya! Any opinions on the dealer offer? I'm considering a counter of 1500 down and 268/mo. That will just about offset tires and the GPS.

Oh, is the Mazda GPS worth 400 bucks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x View Post
The 3rd gen is pre-wired for nav. It's just an SD card. You can find them on ebay for approx $150

What he said - The "3.5" generation (mid 2016-present) Mazda 6 *should* come with everything ready to go sans the SD card that contains the maps. Search around or check my 3rd gen 1 stop shop link in my sig, there should be a thread or two talking about it.

There's also a thread in there for purchase/lease pricing that members on here have been seeing, if you want to see a trend on sale prices others have got.

$268/mo with only $1500 down seems pretty good to me for a purchase since mine was....uh...a bit more expensive haha. Honestly though, I am not caught up on the going-rate for the 6 right now.

Just remember - cars are NOT investments, and shouldn't be treated as such - No one's forcing you to buy brand new, and you could save thousands on the same car that was leased for a year and only has several thousand miles on it.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

^^ Thaxx. This is a lease we're talking here. The dealer's initial offer was $3000 down and $277/month, for a 3/36 lease.
That totals $12,970 plus the end-of-lease buy is $15,279. =$28,249.

My proposed offer of $1500 down (I'll go with $2000, 1500 is a negotiating point) and $268/mo = $11,148 or $11,648 lease costs.

A Grand Touring is an OUTSIDE possibility but that's almost three grand more. Which is about $75/mo more. A power-adjustable passenger seat is what I'm looking for, wife comfort factor.

Byakuya, I don't see a link for 3rd gen one stop shop. Where it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page