Low beam headlight problem - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Mazda6 (Atenza) > Newbie Section
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg8 View Post
Ok I used the probe I bought and have power to both hot wires on the L& R low beams. I did this by attaching the alligator clip to the body and sticking the probe in the hot wire connector on both sides and then again by connecting the a-clip to what I assume is the ground on the back of the bulb assembly too. Lights up all 4 times on both sides but still no low beam on passenger side.
Well that muddies things a bit. I'm trying to find a picture of what you're dealing with and can't find something thats 100% certain.

This is an H1 bulb yes? Is this what I should be seeing?
Xtec 6000K H1 and H3 Install "HOW TO"

So both sides are powered the same way. Both are grounded (you followed my test above), and you swapped the known GOOD bulb into the bad hole and it doesn't light?

If all the connections are good; then we have a CURRENT ISSUE! The test lamp draws maybe 0.50Amps and will light with very little energy applied. The 55 watt low beam is more like 4.0 amps or so I think. How long has it been this way?

OK - here is DETAILED instructions. Its unlikely that both the +12V supply and the Ground are bad. But one of them is limiting the current. The quick easy way is to run a ground wire from the battery to the lamps ground. DOES it light now? If so, we correct the ground.

If no, we need to find where we lost the energy. Have you tried swapping the relay and the fuses? Or pull them at look for corrosion or burns? It may come down to something in the fuse box. The next step for me would be seeing if the power from the fuse can actually light the 55W light. That would tell us its GOOD up to the fuse. Check or Replace the Relay first and report back.

Hint: 13V X 4.2A = 55Watts so the ground and the supply need to be able to pass at least 8 amps to initially light the light as it begins to glow the current drops.

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here: FSM, MIL/CEL codes, P030X solved, Links to V6 threads

Last edited by Final Impact; 11-21-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Final Impact is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Impact View Post
Well that muddies things a bit. I'm trying to find a picture of what you're dealing with and can't find something thats 100% certain.

This is an H1 bulb yes? Is this what I should be seeing?
Xtec 6000K H1 and H3 Install "HOW TO"

So both sides are powered the same way. Both are grounded (you followed my test above), and you swapped the known GOOD bulb into the bad hole and it doesn't light?

If all the connections are good; then we have a CURRENT ISSUE! The test lamp draws maybe 0.50Amps and will light with very little energy applied. The 55 watt low beam is more like 6.0 or 7 amps I think. How long has it been this way?

OK - here is DETAILED instructions. Its unlikely that both the +12V supply and the Ground are bad. But one of them is limiting the current. The quick easy way is to run a ground wire from the battery to the lamps ground. DOES it light now? If so, we correct the ground.

If no, we need to find where we lost the energy. Have you tried swapping the relay and the fuses? Or pull them at look for corrosion or burns? It may come down to something in the fuse box. The next step for me would be seeing if the power from the fuse can actually light the 55W light. That would tell us its GOOD up to the fuse. Check or Replace the Relay first and report back.

Hint: 13V X 4.2A = 55Watts so the ground and the supply need to be able to pass at least 8 amps to initially light the light as it begins to glow the current drops.
I didn't swap the bulbs, didn't understand that was what you were saying. Makes sense. I'll try it now but I'm pretty sure the new bulb is good. Actually the filament on the old bulb still looks good too. After I do that I want run a wire from the NEGgative post on the battery to the ground on the bulb?
markg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I didn't swap the bulbs, didn't understand that was what you were saying. Makes sense. I'll try it now but I'm pretty sure the new bulb is good. Actually the filament on the old bulb still looks good too. After I do that I want run a wire from the NEGgative post on the battery to the ground on the bulb?

I thought you did that already? Don't touch or leave finger prints on the bulb it will break it.

Bulb swap
Relay swap
Inspect fuses (remove them)

The Following User Says Thank You to Final Impact For This Useful Post:
markg8 (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Learners License

I just swapped the bulbs. The working bulb from the left doesn't work in the right socket. the new replacement bulb works in the left socket. I'm not touching the bulbs, only touch the bulb assembly from the back. I inspected the fuses and they are all good. Excuse my ignorance but what are you describing as the relay I should test? BTW the pics you posted look like what I have. The second pic of the whole headlight assembly looks like a left side. Now I want to run a wire from the NEGgative or the POS post on the battery to the ground on the right bulb?

Last edited by markg8; 11-21-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I just swapped the bulbs. The working bulb from the left doesn't work in the right socket. the new replacement bulb works in the left socket. I'm not touching the bulbs, only touch the bulb assembly from the back. I inspected the fuses and they are all good. Excuse my ignorance but what are describing as the relay? BTW the pics you posted look like what I have. The second pic of the whole headlight assembly looks like a left side. Now I want run a wire from the NEGgative or the POS post on the battery to the ground on the right bulb?
First find the head light relay and look for another like it. I think there is only ONE for both so now it comes down to finding what side went bad; i.e. the ground or the power.

Yes, run a wire from the bat NEG to Lamp NEG and see if that helps.

markg8 (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Learners License

"The quick easy way is to run a ground wire from the battery to the lamps ground. DOES it light now? If so, we correct the ground."

Again pardon my ignorance, but I'm not clear on this. I run a piece of wire from one terminal of the battery (neg or pos?) to the ground wire on the right side. Does what light now? The low beam?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Have you held the bulb out of the socket and tried to power it? Does it glow a tiny amount at all? With volt meter you could measure across it and know what was up. It would be handy!

markg8 (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Learners License

Ok, ran wire from the neg post on the battery to the right side bulb ground, turned on the car and the headlights and the right side came on. Success! Or progress at least. Now what?

Last edited by markg8; 11-21-2012 at 05:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to markg8 For This Useful Post:
Final Impact (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Learners License

And when that bulb came on it was as bright as day.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, ran wire from the neg post on the battery to the right side bulb ground, turned on the car and the headlights and the right side came on. Success! Or progress at least. Now what?

OK - That simplifies things. . . the existing ground wire although good enough to light the test lamp is NOT good enough to run a load of 4+ Amps.

Before we take big step (replacing the wire) we need to have a schematic for YOUR CAR. Not mine. In the schematic I posted earlier, it shows the bulbs ground wire connecting to the chassis (body/ground). If this is true for your car, either the wire is NOT connected or its damaged. We need a path to ground but first we A) get a schematic for your car, B) someone chimes in that knows it goes straight to ground.

I suggest you follow either side from the lamp and CONFIRM they go to ground. Once confirmed, we replace the wire.

Does that make sense? Also - Good Job!

Last edited by Final Impact; 11-21-2012 at 06:11 PM.
markg8 (11-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.