Got my first Mazda today! Manual issues, please read. - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Mazda6 (Atenza) > Newbie Section
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 03:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Got my first Mazda today! Manual issues, please read.

Hi everyone,

After driving Toyotas and Hondas (most recently a 2000 Accord), I just got a manual 2004 Mazda Atenza 2.3L (Hatch) today. The car looks fantastic and is in good condition, however I couldn't help but notice that the manual settings, i.e. clutch and transmission, are quite different to the other manual cars I've driven:
  1. The friction point is far higher than any other car, almost at the top of the clutch. I've formed a habit of completely depressing the clutch when shifting, so this has resulted in slow and sometimes jerky shifts. I suppose this could be negated by a "shallow" press and thus fast shifts.
  2. When in neutral, the accelerator becomes non-sensitive, i.e. it does not pick up revs easily. I have to almost floor it to get to 3-4k revs in order to rev match. This has made down shifting rather tedious. However I guess I'll get used to it soon.

I actually really like this car, it's just different from anything else I've driven before. Are the things I've mentioned above normal? Do you guys have any tips for me to make my driving life a bit easier?
Alternatively - I think this suggests that the clutch is dying? I've never driven a Mazda before so I don't know if the high friction point is normal. If it's dying, both the problems above will be resolved with a new clutch. My wallet will hate me though.

Thanks for all your help

Last edited by brownsound01; 11-11-2012 at 05:01 AM.
brownsound01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,125 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts

Welcome to the club!!

In regards to the high engagement point. The 2.3 i test drove last year also had a very strange feel to the clutch but the engagement point on that one was basically right at the floor.

On my V6 the engagement point is just below the 1/2 way point of clutch pedal travel. It took me some time to get used to it.

May i ask why you rev match while downshifting? You know it isnt not needed to do that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App
Mr.Smoke is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

On the speed 6 the engagement point on mine is like 2 inches from fully released, if 0% is the floor this is 85%. I know it's a speed but just a reference for you when it comes to engagement point.

Sent from my dial up phone
Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

I don't know for sure about the regular 6s, but I know the clutch pedal distance from the floor and engagement point are both adjustable. I adjusted mine and it's so much smoother to drive now.
2006 Velocity Red Mica MS6 #06475

1994 Probe GT
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701300497
prdracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

Thanks for the fast replies. My friend had the same problem on his Atenza and found out that the clutch was near the end of its useful life. He got it adjusted and the clutch started slipping immediately. I don't know if that's an isolated event or if it'll happen to me too, so I'm a bit apprehensive towards getting the clutch adjusted.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Learners License

Took my car to the Mazda dealer after I posted. They said the clutch is definitely dying. It started slipping a bit too, so a new clutch is in order.

MrSmoke - I rev match when I downshift (double clutch) because it's better for the engine / transmission. It's hard to do it with this car without flooring it though.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,125 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts

Rev matching isnt needed. If you wish to do so then go right ahead but its simply not needed.

Double clutching is totally different from rev matching and is also something which you dont need to do.

Sorry to hear the clutch is going but sounds like a good time to upgrade the clutch & flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

Last edited by Mr.Smoke; 11-12-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Mr.Smoke is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.