Mazda 6 Forums banner

Hi, 'tis I!! (me)

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  justsomeguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Yup. I'm Sean. I'm new here, and to my '06 Mazda 6, and to your heart, but that's about it. I have many hobbies, the most exciting of which require a general lack of roads. Or some type of shiny technology. Um.. and I like acceleration. A LOT. And funny stuff. And geeky stuff. And artsy stuff. And helping when I can. And making music stuff. And punching babies. And chocolate & caramel. mmmmm. Ok so I made up the punching babies part. I would never do that again.

I will probably, mostly, just lurk and learn, but I will eventually offer too many opinions and most will get sick of it. I do have a lot of technical and situational knowledge though, and a general idea of how most things work (or should work) in a car.

AAANNNNYYYYwaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

At idle, my engine seems a bit louder than it should (though I don't have another Mazda6 V6 to compare to) and it makes an obviously RPM proportionate whining sound... My past experience tells me that this is likely the Water Pump (and indeed, the sound seems to be coming from the front of the engine near the belt).. but I thought I would make this post somewhat useful and ask about it. An admittedly quick search didn't come up with much useful info, but really, I could try harder.

Thanks! And see you around

See less See more
#2 ·
Also, are any more of these controls supposed to be lit?

Before I go tearing it aapart, what kind of bulb/LED do I need behind the blower speed knob/off button?

Again, thanks (in advance)

Attachments

#3 ·
they are stupid little bulbs. nothing you can buy at the auto parts store. either the dealer or you can order them from superbrightleds.com(cheaper than the dealer by a long shot)

you will have to do some measuring to figure out the correct 1/4 turn bulb you need.

the sound may actually be the Power steering hose clamp rubbing against the Accessory belt. I thought my water pump was bad and went through all kinds of crap to replace it.... only to find out the stupid clamp had moved just enough to rub against the belt.

#4 ·
the sound may actually be the Power steering hose clamp rubbing against the Accessory belt. I thought my water pump was bad and went through all kinds of crap to replace it.... only to find out the stupid clamp had moved just enough to rub against the belt.
Oh... weird.. That really doesn't seem like it could be making this particular sound, but I've seen weirder things happen on a car.. I will check that out, thanks!

Is there any reliable way to post a sound clip besides youtube?

Also, I will be taking more pictures for posing noobie questions I can't find already in the forums.

#6 ·
Welcome

#8 ·
About a month after I got my 6 I woke up one morning, started my car and it seemed a bit louder than it should be. The noise went away two days later so I figured it was nothing. About a week later the water pump belt broke because of a shot tension pulley. I was on the highway and the car overheated and I almost blew the engine :/. Deff check that belt to see if that's possibly the cause of the noise.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
Ohh good call. Hopefully I will get a chance to check this stuff today after work. Thanks :)
It was too dark by the time I got home, but it seems to have developed another sound.. The more I dig into the car the less impressed I am with the dealer who sold it to me. I'm beginning to consider just having a Mazda dealer go through it as I really don't know enough about these newer engines and drivetrains :/ Everything else I can handle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.