Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum (http://forum.mazda6club.com/)
-   Newbie Section (http://forum.mazda6club.com/213-newbie-section/)
-   -   Check Engine Light (http://forum.mazda6club.com/newbie-section/240447-check-engine-light.html)

tarheels 09-30-2010 04:41 PM

Check Engine Light

:confused:My check engine light keeps coming on then going off then coming on and going off. At first I thought it was just my gas cap. So I took it off and put it back on and the light went off for a few days then came back on. What's odd is it will go off and then you drive down the road a few miles and it comes back on. It's out of warranty so I havent taken it to the dealer ship yet. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and thinks that I should take it soon???

the_gray_mazda6 09-30-2010 06:00 PM

Go to an Advance Auto Parts store if one is near you. They can run the code free of charge and let you know what is going on. It is possible that you do have a bad gas cap seal as that has happened to a few people that I know.

tarheels 10-01-2010 08:51 AM

I took it to one and the could was like something to do with the gas or something...They told me that I prob just got bad gas somewhere...But it's still doing it and I have filled up plenty of times to get rid of it even put some of that booster stuff in it...Guess I will just have to break down and take it in...Thanks the gray mazda6!!!

BigAlDJ 10-01-2010 08:00 PM

7 Attachment(s)
When does the light come on. Mine comes on when I am at a red light with no a/c on. After 20 secs idle goes below 750, maybe 675. then all of a sudden it goes down to like 600 and rough, then the light comes on. After i drive on highway, it goes away. I have changed the purge solenoid valve ($80 installed) and still did it. I was told it was possibly O2 sensor (although it tested fine). I changed all 4 O2 sensors to a better quality sensor (NGK-NTK) cause Mazda ones are cheap. I disconnected the negative battery terminal to let computer re-learn. It was great for 2-3 days. The the exact same idle shit came and popped a cell. PCV was changed a while back, intake and vaccuum leaks inspected. I think the computer is fucked. I have an appointment Monday with Mazda. Before I changed anything I had codes PO131 & PO151 (O2 bullshit). I have a 2006 Mazda 6 v6 3.0 litre with 44,000 km!!!!! What a joke!!! See pics of piss poor stock exhaust which probably contributes to pre-cat failure (I already changed a bit, more to change yet)

tarheels 10-04-2010 01:39 PM

Mine stays on...But what's weird is one day I can get it and it wont be on...Then drive down the road like a mile or two and it comes on...IDK what's going on...I thought the O2 sensor maybe bad...IDK???

medikaldoktor 10-11-2010 05:17 PM

I've been having that problem for a while now. First time was, in fact, the gas cap. But last time I took it in, they said it was something with the coolant system....even though my engine temp never goes up. I'm thinking it's just a bad sensor. Btw - I have a 2006 6s

Lost Viking 10-17-2010 08:47 PM

To the OP....year, miles, and engine would be helpful. Also, have you changed anything on the car (Exhaust, intake, etc) or had any recent maintenance done?

M3Octane 10-24-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAlDJ (Post 3304113)
When does the light come on. Mine comes on when I am at a red light with no a/c on. After 20 secs idle goes below 750, maybe 675. then all of a sudden it goes down to like 600 and rough, then the light comes on. After i drive on highway, it goes away.

This is exactly how my car is behaving right now. It only acts rough within the first mile of city driving when I'm stopped at a light. After the car warms up fully it doesn't have any other episodes. My CEL is p0441 and p0443 so I think mine might be the Purge Solenoid Valve.

twanbiz 12-19-2010 03:30 PM

My check engine light keeps coming on also. I got the bank 2 sensor 1 O2 sensor replaced. Then the light came on again. And something else weird happens....Whenever i fill up with gas and i turn the car back on, it takes a really long time for the engine to turn over. Its almost like the battery is dying it just cranks and cranks and cranks....and barely turns over....but it only does that when i fill up with gas, it never does that any other time

I have a 2005 Mazda6, 3.0 v6 5 speed manual, no mods

karlt10 12-19-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAlDJ (Post 3304113)
See pics of piss poor stock exhaust which probably contributes to pre-cat failure (I already changed a bit, more to change yet)

That can you have marked as 'CAT' is not a cat. At least not the factory cat. The total absence of a heat shield is the dead giveaway. I didn't follow too closely how your pics were laid out, but it may simply be the resonator.