A/C Problem - Blows Cold then Blows Warm - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Mazda6 (Atenza) > Newbie Section
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006, 08:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've had the same problem for 7 of the last 9 months that I've owned this car.
Today I took it into the dealer for the 4th time for the same issue. Previously, they replaced an expansion valve [1st visit; it did seem to fix the problem for about a week, then it reoccured.] and then found nothing wrong the 2nd and 3rd. Part of the issue was that the first two times it wasn't that hot outside, so it was hard to tell what was happening (I also live in FL).
Today, I was insistent and they took apart the a/c unit and found that there was a flap that wasn't directing the warm/cold air correctly. So the air from the heater was getting mixed in with the cold a/c air at different times. They are replacing my entire a/c control unit.

Mine did happen occasionally on the highway, but like the OP said, it was mostly when the car came to a stop.

Trident is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2006, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

I've been having the same problem with my a/c. When I come to a stop, the temp rises quite a bit(if I had to guess, probably greater than 78 degrees) and the air smells different. The air is also very humid when at a stop, kind of like it switches from a/c to vent. Then once I start driving again, it cools back down. Looks like i'll have to take it into the dealer since I see others are having the same problem.
<span style="color:#CC0000">05' 6s - Redfire Metallic, black leather, ATX, Injen CAI, CPE MAF Customizer, CP-E Motor Mount, Mazdaspeed springs, RB Front & Rear Sway Bar, TB coolant bypass, fog light mod, clear sides, sharkfin antenna, LED tails, 20% tint, smoked rear reflectors, RX8 Shinka edition wheels

Metal4All6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to cwa107

Quote:
I've been having the same problem with my a/c. When I come to a stop, the temp rises quite a bit(if I had to guess, probably greater than 78 degrees) and the air smells different. The air is also very humid when at a stop, kind of like it switches from a/c to vent. Then once I start driving again, it cools back down. Looks like i'll have to take it into the dealer since I see others are having the same problem.
[/b]
Same problem here. On occasion (NOT consistently), at a stop, I'll notice that the A/C blows warm (ambient outside temperature) air. Upon getting back up to speed, the A/C blows cool again.

In searching through this forum, I found an early TSB that indicated the problem may be caused by a loose terminal connection in a 6-pin connector behind the glovebox. I believe I found the connector, but did not find any of the terminals to be loose. To be safe, I rerouted the cable leading up to the harness as it was somewhat taught and I thought it would be better not to have tension on it should there be a connectivity problem.

I also have a problem with my fan whining when set to high speed. It is a high-pitched whine that only seems to go away when the fan backs down to two bars beneath full speed. I'm kind of used to it, but it drives my wife nuts. Anyone else experienced this problem?

I will likely approach the dealer with these issues, but I doubt I'll get anywhere since they're so intermittent. Keep us posted on what you guys find out (if anything).

2006 6s Grand Sport Wagon - Dark Cherry Mica

OEM Accessories: Autodimming mirror with Homelink Cargo Tray Rear Bumper Step Plate Cargo Net Sunshade Chrome Rear Finisher All-season mats Moonroof visor

Non-OEM Add-ons: Audiolink iPod Integration from RPM (rocks!)

cwa107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2006, 08:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm actually having the opposite problem. Under full throttle, the A/C will blow warm (almost hot), but when I back off and return to normal throttle position (for example, when passing on a two-lane highway), the A/C blows cold again. Anyone else experiencing this? Dealer says it's normal, but I don't remember any of my other cars doing this.
My Current Car
My Previous Car Page
My Previous Car Page
Tire Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2006, 01:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Learners License

I am glad that we are all agreeing that Mazda has a big problem here with their A/C. Please post some updates with the replacement of your A/C control head and also with the TSB for the loose 6 pin connector under the glovebox. My A/C is still doing the exact same thing. When I come to a stop, the temp rises quite a bit and the air smells different. The air is also very humid when at a stop, kind of like it switches from a/c to vent. Then once I start driving again, it cools back down. Mostly happens when it is hot outside. Rarely at night or early morning days.

learn5th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2006, 02:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Learners License

Have had AC problems with my 05 6 also. When brand new off the lot AC would freeze you out in the hotest weather. After a couple of weeks noticed that it would get humid occasionally in stop and go humid traffic. Took it to the dealer and the said the the system actually had to much freon in it causing the compressor to short cycle. Well after purging the system and refilling it is no better. You can feel the air get warm and cold buy holding your hand over the vent when running at full fan and coldest temperature during highway driving. The compressor is defianately not staying engaged as long as it should. I even stuck a thermometer in the vent and there is a 7-8 degree temperature change in between the cycles and humidity change. When sitting idling and standing outside the car you can here the compressor continuously cycling. Talked to dealer and they said that is the way the compressor is suppose to work, I say bs. Will probably take it to an independent repair shop and get their opinion for ammo before I take it back to my dealer when it fails to cool sufficiently. It seems to cool better when using the "recycle" position. I have the autoclimate but always run it in manual mode.
tmanmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2006, 12:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Learners License

I'm having this problem also, as long as the car is moving A/C seems to work fine, but in stop & go city driving A/C is intermittent, cold/warm.
Just took it to the dealer and the initial diagnosis is a bad compressor, they have the car now for further inspection and repair. We'll see what the final results are later.

Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!!
BerettaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Learners License

Got the car back, they tell me it's fixed, time will tell.

The reported problem was the fan control modules went bad and were replaced.

Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!!
BerettaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Learners License

Just curious if the new fan control module fixed your problem. Mazda has yet to fix my A/C problem.

learn5th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2006, 12:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
gbpack1997

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Quote:
Please Help with this problem. I own a 2006 Mazda 6s with a 4 cylinder 2.3. It currently has 4,000 miles and have noticed from day 1 that the A/C was not working correctly. I live in Florida and the A/C needs to be on daily. It will blow cold and suddenly (when coming to a stop) will start blowing warm. I have purchased a temp gauge and it will blow cold (40-45)F and suddenly jump to (60-65)F. Then it seems that the compressor clutch kicks on and it goes back down to the usual (40-45)F. This will not happen if the car is on the highway. It only happens when you are driving and come to a stop. So city driving is a problem. It does not happen all the time. Maybe every 15 minutes. It has been to the dealer 2 times. They evacuated the system and refilled the it with the proper amount of freon. (At least that is what they told me). Any help would be appreciated.
[/b]
I had the same problem with my 2004 Mazda 6 4cyl. I live in Michigan, so noticed the problem both with the A/C turning warm when coming to a stop and heat turning cold. After 4 or 5 trips to the dealer over a 9 month period where the cooling system was tested, flushed, refilled, etc. to no avail, they finally determined that there was a head gasket seal problem. Apparently they came to this conclusion after testing the coolant and finding traces of exhaust gas. After replacing the head gasket, everything has worked great. I know it's a pretty serious solution, but did the trick for me, and is covered by warranty so didn't cost me a dime.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.