Mazda 6 Forums banner

Does a Modification Void My Warranty?

83K views 153 replies 106 participants last post by  TalonTsi90 
#1 ·
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302©).

http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=22238&crit...iteria=warranty

Whats this mean? The use of an aftermarket part will not void your warranty. The only time your warranty will be voided is if

1) The manufacturer is providing a replacement part free of cost.
2) The manufacturer or dealer can prove that the aftermarket part or mod caused the failure or damage.

So what happens if you do an airbox mod and your dealer says your voided the warranty?

http://www.sema.org/content/?id=8124

Visit the above link for more information.

There are laws in the world to protect the consumer. Its always a good idea to know and understand them. Always fully read both your warranty manual, and your owners manual of your vehicle.

Otherwise you could be screwed over by your dealer, warranty or not.

For example: Did you know Mazda requires all dealers provide either a rental or loaner car if your vehicle is in for service? Its not a dealer "bonus," its a manufacturer requirement.

See less See more
#4 ·
Reading Topic: Does a Modification Void My Warranty?

DO NOT THINK THAT THIS INFORMATION WILL KEEP A DEALER FROM DENYING A WARRANTY CLAIM!

I have a long story, but it's very relevant to this matter. I own a 2003 MSP Protege with 3200 miles on it. I removed the stock air box and attached a plain paper cone filter to the MAF meter and removed the silencer (resonator) from the exhaust. Neither modification affected performance or ECU function. The resonator in the exhaust sits behind both cats and both O2 sensors. With 3200 miles on it, my headgasket blows filling the motor with coolant and ultimatly causing 2 rods to be slung from the block. After the vehicle was towed to my closest dealer they immediatly denied ANY kind of warranty repair due to the exhaust modification. I explained to them all of the info that SEMA provided about aftermarket parts and responsibility. They informed me that MNOA would have to send someone down to look at the car. Two weeks later a regional rep came down, spent (in the service managers own words) less than 5 minutes looking at the car, and then denied my claim. I waited for another 2-3 weeks for him to return my calls when I did get a response back it was to tell me that his job isn't to talk to customers, only the service manager. I called Mazda customer service and they informed me that it is in fact his job to talk to me. I again waited for him to call me back after several messages so I could set up a meeting to discuss the situation. He told me that "he knew what I did to that car and I knew what I did to it." I asked him to tell me what he thinks was done and his exact words," I don't have to tell you a damn thing." I told him that I was not some punk kid without a clue in the world and I knew my rights as a consumer, I had spoken with an attorney who verfied all of the information I got from SEMA. He told me that if I wanted to talk to him again I should get a lawyer. I did. A friend of the family offered to work for free writting letters, looking up past cases etc . However, due to the binding arbitration agreement I would have to go to arbitration first. The consumer always loses in arbitration. I would then be required to pay fees ($3500) PLUS any fees that the company would have. My lawyer informed me that at this point while I did have a case that would be cut and dry in court it wouldn't be financialy efficient to pursue it any further. I would be able to repair my vehicle for less than the cost of fees that would be associated continuing the case.
The point of this story is this: Even though the law says one thing doesn't mean that you'll be able to afford to see that it gets enforced. I've spoken with no less than 5 attorneys and every one of them wants me to pursue this further based on the amount of the intended settlement. The big compnaies (MNOA) know however, that they can tie it up in courts forever, bleed me dry, make it unlogical for me to pursue them. That's what they've done. I'm stuck in a car worth $7500 and owe double that.

DO NOT THINK THAT JUST BECAUSE THE LAW IS ON YOUR SIDE THAT YOU CAN MODIFY YOUR VEHICLE. The little guy always takes it in the ass in these situations. I've taken it so hard I can barely sit down anymore.

sorry THIS had to be my first post.

#5 ·

Sorry you got hosed turbo...

I should add this to this thread.

If you don't know what a mod is...

If you don't understand what the mod does...

If your the least bit worried about how a mod will effect your car...

DO NOT DO THE MOD.

Thats some pretty major bs though...a blown head gasket cause you changed the exhaust...thats the biggest load of shit I've ever heard.

Would you mind posting the name of the dealership?

#6 ·

I won't name the dealership for denying warranty work. It was Mazda North american Operations that denied my warranty.
I will however name the dealership that gave me such a hard time, ignored my requests for a conference, never returned a phone call, is currently trying to rake me over the coals on a new car purchase....Trussville Mazda in B'ham, AL. The same dealership everyone uses to order their parts and accessories from. I know for a fact that the new 6i's are selling for right around invoice, then carry a rebate. The general manager of the dealership offered me a program 6i without the options I wanted and 4500miles (!!!) for $127 OVER invoice. I almost threw up. I could get a brand new car with 0 miles and every option I wanted for $1100 less than what he offered me. I love Mazda cars, just wish I could buy them from the Ford dealer!

#9 ·

I really dont want to ruin a perfectly good sticky, so I'll try to hold back on the legality and morality of what you suggest chikoo, but you do realize that makes it harder to diagnose a problem...and beause of that, and also because some people do stupid things and put it back to stock after they know what they did caused the problem, automakers are cracking down on all modifications. Turbo matty didnt do anything I would think is a warranty breaker, but it sounds like they are making an example of him. He should have got his car fixed, but has all the truly dihonest ppl to thank for his misfortune.

#11 ·

TurboMatty - what you can do is start a campaign to seriously hurt the business of the dealer that gave you a hard time with the warranty repair. (ads, word of mouth, etc) Hell, start a website against them and list it on yahoo, google, lycos...

Gruss - I understand your concerns with legality and morality, but in TurboMatty's case, it would have done him good to remove the cone filter and replace the resonator as it is obvious these mods would NOT blow an engine. Instead, it cost him thousands in repair while Mazda gets away with what might have been a lemon....and all because he was honest. There are such things as "gray" areas in morality (and legality!). This would be a classic example of one of them.

#12 ·

I'm not saying its right that they screwed him, if those were the only mods on the car, it should still be under warranty...I'm just pointing out the cause and effect of the situation. Where is the line drawn? Look through any car forum for "put back to stock" and see what some people do to milk dealers/automakers and its no mystery why they start denying warranty work.
Did TurboMatty get boned, yes, and if there was something I could do to help I would. This may have been avoided if he put it back together, but he didn't, and my point is he really shouldnt have to. I dont have anything against modifying your car, but there is always a risk...and that risk is becoming greater, because of all the ppl "putting it back to stock", to save themselves a few bucks at the expense of other consumers, like TurboMatty. Think about it from the other side, here's a mechanic that gets paid for 20 minutes to diagnose a problem, in his search he can tell the car has been modified, but maybe can't prove it. it takes him an hour to find the problem but doesnt get paid for it. this keeps happening guess who gets bitter and starts giving MazdaCorp a call? You IT guys should know the feeling, I'm sure you have a problem employee "that never does anything on the computer that would break it" but yet its always locked up, and there is streaming video, stupid screensavers, etc on the machine. You spend half your day fixing that, other stuff falls behind and you get to work late, while he/she bitches that its your fault.
My Point: Take responsibility for your own actions, so the rest of us dont have to pay for it!

#13 ·

The idiots are not going to stop doing what they do.
Why should the honest guy pay thru his nose?

Gruss, you points are very true, but only theoretically. How do u ensure this?
Make a sealed engine?
engine with a hood lock that only the dealer has the key to?
Engine computer that keeps track of all changes made to the engine? i think this is the solution that auto companies will follow. And everytime my cylinder5 misfires, I will have to reboot my car :D

#14 ·

I didnt say I had the answers, but you hit the nail on the head...the idiots ruined it for the rest of us, and there are a lot of them out there. Its only going to get worse. so what can I do? Well I can be honest, if you want to "trick" your dealer go ahead, your throwing fuel on the fire...I'm not going to do that. I've had shops that tried to deny warranty work because of what "other" people have done, I refuse to be one of "those" ppl, and I dont go to those shops anymore.

#15 ·
Replying to Topic 'Does a Modification Void My Warranty?'

I asked my dealership if i the warranty would still apply if i wanted to add after-market accecories to my car (i.e. CAI, turbo, exhaust, etc.), and he said that as long as the mod was done at the dealership the warranty would still apply.Is he pulling my tail or has anyone else heard of that? By the way, any word yet on turbo, is there anyone out there with turbo yet? :D

#16 ·

you guys might wanna check with your dealer and ask them. The guy that sold me the car has a 6 too and got an injen cai a long time ago and done stuff to his car so hes into the same stuff as us. He probably told me about the dealer installed warranty out of experience. Im supprised nobody on the forum has brought that up. Maybe he was advised to keep it on the downlow or something. Anyways, if anyone finds anything out or knows anything about it p.m me or just reply.

#17 ·
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Does a Modification Void My Warranty?'

im still a little iffy on what things could void my warranty and what doesn't. can sumone give me sum examples on what might void it? i'm about to get a CAI and custom exhaust system for my 6i but after reading this post im not so sure if i should ne more. i don't want to void my warranty... but i really wanna get the CAI and exhaust!!! is it safe to? i was going to get bolt on everything for the exhaust so i could change it back to stock if i wanted to...good idea?

#19 ·

Originally posted by Gruss

I'm not saying its right that they screwed him, if those were the only mods on the car, it should still be under warranty...I'm just pointing out the cause and effect of the situation.  Where is the line drawn?  Look through any car forum for "put back to stock" and see what some people do to milk dealers/automakers and its no mystery why they start denying warranty work.
Did TurboMatty get boned, yes, and if there was something I could do to help I would.  This may have been avoided if he put it back together, but he didn't, and my point is he really shouldnt have to.  I dont have anything against modifying your car, but there is always a risk...and that risk is becoming greater, because of all the ppl "putting it back to stock", to save themselves a few bucks at the expense of other consumers, like TurboMatty.  Think about it from the other side, here's a mechanic that gets paid for 20 minutes to diagnose a problem, in his search he can tell the car has been modified, but maybe can't prove it.  it takes him an hour to find the problem but doesnt get paid for it.  this keeps happening guess who gets bitter and starts giving MazdaCorp a call?  You IT guys should know the feeling, I'm sure you have a problem employee "that never does anything on the computer that would break it" but yet its always locked up, and there is streaming video, stupid screensavers, etc on the machine.  You spend half your day fixing that, other stuff falls behind and you get to work late, while he/she bitches that its your fault.  
My Point: Take responsibility for your own actions, so the rest of us dont have to pay for it![/b]
Look at BMW. The new M3 had a problem with blown engines (there's a website out there somewhere tracking the whole situation). It took several months and alot of headaches before BMW would research the problem and find out that it was a manufacturing defect. Up to that point, BMW (corporate, not the dealers) accused the owners of over-revving the engines and causing them to blow (despite the built-in rev limiter, gimme a break!) and tried up-and-down to deny warranty work/replacement of the failed engines. These were not modded cars! It all comes down to the bottom line and not wanting to front money for warranty repairs. That's the motivating factor behind denial of warranty. I'm sure plenty of people have stiffed the dealers with reversals (and caused them alot of troubleshooting time) but I don't think it's the motivating factor from corporate like you say. I'm sure there's a push to minimize internal repair expenses, and seeing a mod on the car is a fast and convenient excuse to circumvent the whole process that should be protecting the consumer. There's no reason why a dealer can't properly diagnose the problem and say: a) the problem was not due to the mod and is covered, or B) the problem WAS due to the mod and will not be covered.

#20 ·

Car dealerships dening claims for major repairs is nothing new, and it has nothing to do with aftermarket mods.

Three examples 1. my sister had a blown engine on an Isuzu Rodeo. 2. my aunt had a blown engine on a VW Passat. 3. My room mate is a master service writer for a major dealer in the detroit area and denied a claim on an Audi A8.

All claims were within factory drivetrain warranty limits and all claims were denied flat out. Why you ask? Because no one could show proof of all sceduled maintainance (oil changes included) preformend by an authourized factory service tech.

Bottom line is that the dealers and the manufacturers are out to make money whenever they can, and replacing engines is not on the list.

My only advice is to make sure that you have all service done at the dealer (i know pain in the ass) at least untill you run over the warranty. I bought a lifetime oil change through my dealer for about $300. Also it is not a bad idea to make good friends with the service manager while you are there. These guys have serious pull and will be the only friend you have if something goes wrong.

#22 ·

Originally posted by kyler13
A..  It all comes down to the bottom line and not wanting to front money for warranty repairs.  That's the motivating factor behind denial of warranty.  

B..I'm sure plenty of people have stiffed the dealers with reversals (and caused them alot of troubleshooting time) but I don't think it's the motivating factor from corporate like you say.  I'm sure there's a push to minimize internal repair expenses, and seeing a mod on the car is a fast and convenient excuse to circumvent the whole process that should be protecting the consumer.  
C.. There's no reason why a dealer can't properly diagnose the problem and say: a) the problem was not due to the mod and is covered, or B) the problem WAS due to the mod and will not be covered.[/b]
A. Yes I agree, $ is the motivator, for both the dealer/mazda AND the consumer!
B. I dont believe a CAI or exhaust should void the warranty, but lets face it there are alot of racer wannabe's aout there that throw on a CAI and think they're paul walker, and to cover their tracks they make the car "look stock" b4 taking it in...when it was abuse that broke it. why should mazda pay for that? Its the idiots that ruined it for the rest of us is what I'm trying to say
c. Your absolutely right, the dealer should be able to make that distinction, but thats hard to do if everything keeps getting swapped b4 the vehicle gets there.

I'm not pointing at anyone in particular, but because of past events dealers are looking closer, and lets face it its easier for them to deny a claim then fix something. If you want to modify your car be my guest, I prolly will too at some point, but I'm not going try to cheat my dealer when I do it. If you keep swapping things back and forth, you are adding to the problem. What I'm trying to get across here is that SEMA will not go to bat for you even though their website attempts to tell you what you can and cant do. Please note alot of these modifications will also come with a "off road use only" disclaimer, but your warranty states no "off road use" (that means drag strips and other tracks, not just mud) and that some dealers/companies will use any excuse possible to save $, If you touch your car be ready to fight for service...or talk to your dealer ahead of time to see where they stand. And if you do something to your car that breaks another item, fix it yourself, or prepare to pay out the nose! Ask the people that know what they are doing if they make mazda pay for their upgrades or mistakes Ex:
If your into stereos and you cook your alternator or battery? Wannabes take the crap out and go to the dealer to fix it. I would install a better battery (or additional capacitors/battery) and a higher output alternator
Drag Racing: wannabes complain there trannys/clutch/cv joints are broke and plead ignorance, real racers install a heavy duty components to compensate for wear and tear
Lowering Springs/Bigger wheels: If youre a poser, you put em on just to be cool, if a shock goes (or any other suspension component) they take it in wanting a replacement, if you really did it for the handling advantages, you're looking at upgraded shocks (or other components) to compliment the rest of the upgrades.
So...should simple bolt ons void the warranty, absolutely not, but because of the dishonest ppl out there we now have to be very careful what we do...I choose the moral high ground, what you do is up to you.

#24 ·

Airbox mod won't mess with the warranty will it?
I mean, the tuba was there for a reason right? Meby would *they* be justified in saying that maybe that could be the problem [if one were to arise]?
Another thing about airbox mod - I been reading up on it, sound and perhaps tiny hps, recommend? I like the smell of a free mod :cool
-Keith

#25 ·

Originally posted by chikoo

Turbo Matty.
I have a golden rule for Modifications.

Always revert back to original equipment when taking it for a warranty claim.  

THAT is very sound advice there...however you don't need to as it was pointed out so long as the modification does not directly harm the car or cause the problem BUT if in doubt, change it back.

I know GM people who swap their chips in their cars back before going in for a cat. problem which was a problem in corvettes (I can't remember the year), the ceramics inside would crumble, in that example the doubt of higher performance i.e. heat from the exhaust "may" cause premature wear. Others didn't but from what I heard they had no problems as it was a recall or TSB or Federal EMI problem....again I don't remember. This is just an example and not a bonified thing I can say happened just that way.

Let us say you went in for a siezed engine...the dealer pulled the car into the shop and this I've seen many a time, you were lax on oil changes, had the ole' jiffy lube filter on it, the cam was covered in sludge, the ports were clogged, the lifters just caked....right off the bat without mod or not there will be pictures taken and you'll be asked for complete oil change records and you better have them all or at least most.

Senario two, same problem, mazda filter, dealer serviced, and K + S or the like cold air intake...and it has been checked over by the dealer, what can be said, NOTHING.

Same thing in example 3 with a bit more tweaking the addition of an el cheapo eBay cold air simulation bypass chip, I hope you know what I mean.....IFFY, that I would take off .... More and more the OBD II will register errors when engine lights come on so I don't PERSONALLY like those cheap ones anyway except on maybe an old MX-6 GT or something before OBD II. If I were inclined to go that way I'd spend the money and do it the way it was meant to be done.

Like the supercharger but crossbow, can you do that??? I know the 2.5L can accomodate the supercharger, the problem with our engine is the space in the compartment. If there is a spot in the boards for this, I have not seen it. Duratec along with VVT and supercharging IMO might not be a good idea...

I'm waiting on the Injen to be perfected....it is pretty darn cold here so I have natural cold air feed for now. I'm headed over to the modifications section to go find some stuff, I got plenty of good points from the gifts I got the wife :)

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate.....

bobmazda

P.S. anyone get any mods for Xmas??? and anyone got a link for an upload for a good pic of a redfire Mazda 6? Mine is filthy, it is snowing and snowed last night while we were out and the salt is all over it(again).

#26 ·
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Does a Modification Void My Warranty?'

bobmazda,

There are already companies R+D'in both superchargers AND turbo's for the 3.0L V6 Mazda6s.

Engine space is not a problem, there is a crapload of it :). Hell they fit twin turbos in a 350Z 3.5L Nissan, and thats got a hella of a lot less room then the 6s does.

Just takes money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.