Mazda 6 Forums banner

2014 Clutch judder

12K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Cdn17Sport6MT 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am at 48000 km and after I have been driving for a while so everything is hot, the clutch seems to judder in first and sometimes in second gear.

I can't believe that it is worn already.

Anyone else experiencing this?

#2 ·
It's not wear, it's sticky "hot spots" and it will only get worse with time once it's started. Mazda clutches have a history of having this problem. My Miata had this issue which is where I'm coming from. I'm almost surprised you are the first person I've seen yet with this issue, but I imagine it can take many miles to show up and there aren't many 3rd gens with significant miles yet.

#4 ·
I had a really nasty judder off of 1st gear when my car was hovering around 10k mi. It would judder, shudder and finally do a weird half-stall where everything was half shut off. It was really strange. It was like a stalled motor but with things still spinning under the hood. It's a bit difficult to explain. Only happened about 3 times. I'm at 37k mi now and it hasn't come back.

Strange, but meh, oh well.

#5 ·
I had the same problem, the clutch judders badly when I shift to the 2nd gear. I hope it is not clutch slippage, and I know the dealership would give me a run around to avoid repairing it under warranty (Like saying, "Driver's error). My 2015 has 24,000 miles in it. What should I do?

#6 ·
Have you checked your brake/clutch fluid reservoir? As the brakes wear, it seems to be normal for the level to go down. Mine was about half way between the min and max. I decided to top it up to max and have not had the judder issue I was having. Might be coincidence since the judder was rare in the first place.

#7 ·
Just to throw my 2 cents in: I've had clutch judder when going into first gear for a while. Happens when hot or cold, but its worse when cold. I have 76k miles on mine, but its made a judder noise since day 1. Several other 6's made the noise so I thought it was normal. Either way, it's gotten slightly worse in the past and just this winter I noticed some significant judder when going into reverse or first if its very cold and I'm trying to keep the rev's low. If I launch at 2k rpms there is very little to no judder. Weird! Wonder how hard it is to do a clutch in this car; I might do it myself just to get rid of this problem.

#8 ·
These cars have a DMF in them -- usually used in DIESELS! As a result they're prone to that, especially when there's some condensation on the disk (e.g. when cold.) As long as it goes away once you get the gearbox warm (NOT the engine necessarily; it may take a while longer) it's probably normal and you might wind up changing the clutch and still have it!

I'm not aware of aftermarket clutches for these cars yet (and there may never be); one without the DMF would get rid of that, but it might also increase NVH somewhat (perhaps quite a bit, especially at idle, although I doubt it since this IS a gasser...)

#9 ·
I'm not aware of aftermarket clutches for these cars yet (and there may never be); one without the DMF would get rid of that, but it might also increase NVH somewhat (perhaps quite a bit, especially at idle, although I doubt it since this IS a gasser...)
Can you tell me what DMF and NVH stand for? I'm not familiar with those acronyms.

#10 ·
DMF = Dual-mass flywheel. Basically, there are TWO parts of the flywheel with springs between them. They're used (mostly) on diesels to dampen out the strong pulsation of the firing cylinder; diesels rattle like crazy without them at idle. It would appear that Mazda used the same clutch in this engine that they use in their (not in NA market) diesels -- good for durability (it likely has a crazy torque rating) but the judder you're getting is characteristic of these if there's any condensation on the clutch disc because as it starts to grab the springs give the fingers some "flex" as it takes up. The result is that if there is any sort of unevenness in the friction on the disc (like if it's got some condensation on it) they're very prone to judder.

NVH = Noise, vibration and harshness.

Yes, mine does it too in humid conditions when it's cold if you're not careful on the take-off. It goes away once it gets warm.

#11 · (Edited)
Interesting. I recently got a 2018 Mazda 6 SW 2.0 Skyactiv-G 165. The current milage is 99000 km. It occasionally has the problem that the clutch judders when driving away in 1st gear. Especially at cold start when the weather is cold and damp. Hopefully this won't get any worse.

#13 ·
My '99 Camry, 5MT, has a mild clutch judder when cold. If I use a few more revs on take-off - no judder. Also, no judder beyond the first couple of start-offs when cold. I know one- or several engine mounts on this car are worn out... so whether the cause (when cold) is either the clutch or engine mounts - take solace in the fact that it likely is not a serious matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.