Mazda 6 Forums banner

6 speed tranny grinds when entering gear too fast?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AJ6ER 
#1 ·
2nd gen 2010 mazda 6 gt and when I try to shift faster than usual in most gears it grinds a bit while I slip it in... anybody have some input on this?

#2 ·
Is it only when you are speed shifting? If it's only during this, I would think that your trans may be Ok and more seat time would be needed.(at a track)

#3 ·
I wouldnt necessarily say speed shifting... but when I try to shift a little faster than just cruising, I mean its rare I bring it up to 4000 rpm and when I do I try to shift a little faster and it sort of grinds when I stick it in gear... unless I wait for the rpms to come back down before I shift almost as if some sort of timing is off... mind you its my first 6 speed

#4 ·
I have the same problem, 2012 Mazda 6 6speed MT and I think it has a lot to do with outdoor temperature. The MT fluid seems to be too sticky at low temps (-20 up to 30 F) and I have that same kind of hesitation making shifts. It will be a little balky trying to upshift on cold days, but as it gets into summer temps, shifting gets easier. In warm days it seems to shift no problem. I'm not sure, but I think the OEM MT fluid is non-synthetic. So I was fed up with notchy cold weather shifts, and swapped the MT fluid for Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission fluid today - it's got glowing reviews on the Miata website - Miata.net The price is a little steep - $26/qt and you need 3 qts. First drive today was good, although not that cold out, and it might take more miles to have full effect.

#5 ·
Ok thanks for your input! Ill take a look into that, it doesnt seem to change with the weather much though... it was -30 the other day and now its -3 and its the same thing... almost seems like something is out of sync or lack of trans oil... ill take a better look around and get back to you
Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.