weatherstripping on rear doors - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
weatherstripping on rear doors

Is anyone elses falling off like it was never attached at the top rear corner of the rear doors? BOTH of mine are like this. I just noticed it today, but honestly it looks like it came this way. There is a push-pin looking thing that I'm sure was suppose to hold them in place BEHIND the weatherstripping. Neither shows signs of wear or tearing but is completely unattached. Going in for an oil change friday.. so I'll be getting it taken care of. Just curious if any others have seen this.. if not, please check? LOL

2013 Volt (family car)
2013 MX5 Club PRHT (wife's toy)
2001 Firebird Formula (my toy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just went out and checked, all mine are firmly attached and tight. But i have heard of a few members here having a similar problem with the weather stripping coming off.

edit* i am dumb and looked at the cabin door frame, not the door . I checked the door, my stripping is secured tightly by the pin/snap in that corner. but right under it is quite loose and a finger pull will stretch it off the door where it seats. Its flimsy, but not coming off

here is a recent thread

http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda-6-...-warranty.html

2014 Mazda 6 Touring Liquid Silver
[ OVT 91 octane tune ][ CS Power Series SRI ][ Racing Beat Axleback ][ Morimoto XB35 35w 5000k HID lows ][ LED interior lights and plate lights ][ 3M FX HP Tint ][ Dipped rims and dipped trim ]

Last edited by Jerrycobra; 07-03-2013 at 04:07 AM.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a recent hot day, mine stuck to the car a bit when I opened the doors and came off of the "push-pins". This happened to *both* rear doors! I just put it back on to the push-pin myself, but I *was* surprised that it came off so easily. Hasn't come off again since, but I'll be keeping my eye on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

I think that's what happened to mine... Not acceptable for it to keep falling off. Our CX7 has a little spot the weather stripping keeps coming down too on the pass side front door, but I just figure the old owner tore some of what holds it up there somehow... now I'm beginning to wonder about that too.

2013 Volt (family car)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm picking up some 3M weather stripping adhesive, this should call it a day. Not big enough of a deal to take it to the dealer yet.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I'm more concerned about down the road long term. I plan on keeping this six around a long time unless they come out with a super impressive speed version and maintain north of 30MPG with over 300HP :P. My 12 year old car is having some issues from weakened weatherstripping already, I can only imagine what this will do in 5 years.

2013 Volt (family car)
)
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
having the same issue with both back doors... going in to talk to them about this

Kagayaku Mokin
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

went in to the dealer today, they just pushed the pins back in for now because the service manager took his first day off in over 3 years LOL. Will report back next week after he takes a look at it. They said most likely the entire weatherstripping will have to be replaced to keep it from being a recurrent problem. One side had actually torn a little where the plastic head goes to keep it in place, but even the other side keeps coming loose

After fiddling around with all of the weatherstripping today though, I have to say it seems VERY flimsy. I see how wind could easily push through and is where a lot of the wind noise comes from. It brand new is very similiar to my 10+ year old pontiacs weather stripping. It'll keep the water out.. most of it at least, but high pressure and wind, forget about it. I'm interested to see what happens to it in the car wash if I ever run mine through LOL

2013 Volt (family car)
)

Last edited by RacingTiger03; 07-05-2013 at 07:31 PM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

swung by the dealer on my way in to work this morning (not even 5 minutes out of my way and they get there at 7AM). The service manager was in this morning, and is going to look into it with Mazda. He said the only option really was to replace the weatherstripping and he didn't want to do that if it would do the same thing. I explained EXACTLY what it's doing about sticking to the door when it's hot and pulling off from that pin, so hopefully they can get something figured out. Just shows how good that weatherstripping material really is even though it's soft and flimsy LOL. Nothing like a good tactile seal with some heat applied!!! :P

^Worth noting, I DO have less wind noise on hot days LOL

2013 Volt (family car)
)
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigen View Post
I'm picking up some 3M weather stripping adhesive, this should call it a day. Not big enough of a deal to take it to the dealer yet.
I would get in on it pretty quickly. More complaints coming in means more guys at Mazda taking note. At least call the dealer and let them know it's a problem. The weather stripping adhesive may help but won't cure the root cause and will fail again with time. The problem is the weatherstripping sticking to the painted part of the rear corner of the door when it gets hot. This constant tugging on the weatherstripping will cause it to fail pre-maturely and likely at a point when you are outside of warranty. Now if you don't ever use the back doors.. probably not worth it. I use mine 4+ times a day lol

2013 Volt (family car)
)
The Following User Says Thank You to RacingTiger03 For This Useful Post:
Passenger57 (07-09-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page