weatherstripping on rear doors - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. on the passenger side, it has even torn a rip in the weather stripping where it pulls away frm the little tab coming out of the door.

The service tech at the dealer told me to wipe down the weatherstripping lightly wthi some armor all or other trim dressing type detail product and it will make the weather stripping not stick to the painted door frame on the car when you open/close.

Seems to work.

it is hot here in VA so it can be an issue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Just for consistency.. Do NOT use armor-all on that part. Some of the others may be OK at best, but if you must use something as a cover up, use vasoline. Though it may make it stick worse if it's a suction cup problem and not a sticky problem. The armor all will screw you over in the long run as it will dry out the natural oils just like how it cracks dashes

2013 Volt (family car)
2013 MX5 Club PRHT (wife's toy)
2001 Firebird Formula (my toy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Just an update on this, talked to the master tech and service manager at the dealer today, he's not playing around with this I can say that much. He's getting the area mazda rep in for the inspection/repair service of the weatherstripping to determine the next step and prevent recurrence. No exact date yet but sometime in the next 2 weeks is all I know as of yet. I just hope for their sake this isn't a ploy to buy time and prevent it from falling within lemon if it becomes irreparable. (Not that I want this car going anywhere, odds are I will tuck tail and seek alternative fixes on my own if it comes to that! O_O!!!!!!)

worth noting, I inspected it a bit further myself today. Has anyone else noticed the corner pieces on all 4 doors use a different STICKIER material than the rest of the stripping? Go take a look for yourselves Now ALSO underneath the rear weather stripping there is another indention very near the corner that looks like it was originally meant to be another anchor point but did not get punched out and used in the final production version, but still remained from tooling. Noticed this ONLY on the rear problem doors. It's about halfway between the corner and the next anchor point on top.

2013 Volt (family car)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

Last edited by RacingTiger03; 07-11-2013 at 07:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RacingTiger03 For This Useful Post:
jwilson95 (07-15-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 12:38 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingTiger03 View Post
Is anyone elses falling off like it was never attached at the top rear corner of the rear doors? BOTH of mine are like this. I just noticed it today, but honestly it looks like it came this way. There is a push-pin looking thing that I'm sure was suppose to hold them in place BEHIND the weatherstripping. Neither shows signs of wear or tearing but is completely unattached. Going in for an oil change friday.. so I'll be getting it taken care of. Just curious if any others have seen this.. if not, please check? LOL
I opened the rear drivers side door on my car this weekend to find the weatherstripping pulled over its retainer and flopping loosely.

I was able to pull the retainer out as far as it would go, then put the hole in the weatherstrip over it and stretch it until it slipped back in place.

My first thought was my kids were careless and pulled it loose. Now I see your post and wonder how often this is going to happen, and how long until the hole is stretched out, or I rip it, if this continues to occur?

I'm going to mention it to my dealer for sure.

Our Family: 2014 Liquid Silver 6 GT, 2012 CX-9, 2009 3 sedan,
, 2002 Jeep Wrangler

Mods to 6GT: 20% Tint - Coming up: Debadging, lowering springs, exhaust?
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMHoyt View Post
I opened the rear drivers side door on my car this weekend to find the weatherstripping pulled over its retainer and flopping loosely.

I was able to pull the retainer out as far as it would go, then put the hole in the weatherstrip over it and stretch it until it slipped back in place.

My first thought was my kids were careless and pulled it loose. Now I see your post and wonder how often this is going to happen, and how long until the hole is stretched out, or I rip it, if this continues to occur?

I'm going to mention it to my dealer for sure.
This is a design flaw that hopefully will be resolved in the 2015 model but for the 2014 model a TSB should be coming out with a fix. New model years always will have these types of issues. It takes one or two model year cycles to work out the bugs.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Only took a third time to rip my weatherstripping to the point it won't stay on that retainer no matter what.

Interestingly enough My wife was test driving CX-5's this past weekend and it looks like they have the same design/material of weatherstripping, and even the used one we drove with 10K miles on a VERY HOT MUGGY day did not present this problem. So it is specific to the rear corner design on the 6...

- Also I'll be in with the Mazda rep and service dept Tuesday regarding this issue on my car.

2013 Volt (family car)
)
The Following User Says Thank You to RacingTiger03 For This Useful Post:
JohnMHoyt (07-25-2013)
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingTiger03 View Post
Only took a third time to rip my weatherstripping to the point it won't stay on that retainer no matter what.
I was afraid of that.

I'll be speaking with my dealer about it today, just so they are aware of the issue, in case nobody else has had it, or said anything.

My concerns are:

If a "patch" is put in place where they drill another hole or two, to put fasteners through, the metal is now bare, if they don't paint it, causing a potential rust point.

If they utilize an adhesive as a means to hold the weather stripping to the vehicle, it could cause the rubber to deteriorate and down the road, after it is out of warranty, we could need to buy new weatherstripping.

One suitable "fix" would be to make larger plastic washer, or better yet, a piece of plastic, cut in the shape of the weatherstrip that is an inch or more long, and then insert a new fastener through that. That would hold it very well. If it were cut to conform around that bend of the strip, it would not go anywhere.

In short, I'm very hesitant to allow a dealer to fix it, unless it is approved from a corporate level =)

Our Family: 2014 Liquid Silver 6 GT, 2012 CX-9, 2009 3 sedan,
, 2002 Jeep Wrangler

Mods to 6GT: 20% Tint - Coming up: Debadging, lowering springs, exhaust?
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Let the dealer fix it. They have to attempt a repair before they can start hunting problems. My dealer explained it like this, the shipping stuff that is on these cars can make the weatherstripping sticky. If the delivering dealer did not properly clean and cleanse and lube the new weatherstripping the problem we're experiencing occurs. The mazda rep for my dealer is having them put new weatherstripping on my rear doors. Great timing too if they can ever get the new ones in (freaking new cars and low supplies!!!) because my weatherstripping is letting air and who knows what else leak through on the rear. The wind noise from it is driving me nuts when I hear it. For the most part I just crank the radio an extra two points and over-ride it LOL.

FWIW the CX5 rear weatherstripping is designed the same way, and I just test drove one a few weeks ago with 10K miles. it had no issue like mine does.

2013 Volt (family car)
)
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Groans: 11
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
You know, I have the same problem on one of my rear doors. The day it happen, it was really hot out, probably near 100 or so, makes sense that the issue could of been due to heat. I don't use my back doors much currently, so I'm just waiting to go to the dealer on my next oil change and have them fix it.

|
|
|

Has your Mazda ever climbed a mountain?
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionGT View Post
You know, I have the same problem on one of my rear doors. The day it happen, it was really hot out, probably near 100 or so, makes sense that the issue could of been due to heat. I don't use my back doors much currently, so I'm just waiting to go to the dealer on my next oil change and have them fix it.
call ahead and make them aware... I've been waiting two weeks on my weatherstripping lol

2013 Volt (family car)
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page