Rear Hatch won't open - advice needed! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Models / Trim
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Rear Hatch won't open - advice needed!

I'm looking for advice a problem I'm having with a 2006 Mazda6 I just bought. Its a four-door hatchback (technically, looks like a traditional sedan though). Looked at and bought the car, open the hatch twice using the handle right above the license plate. Went to open it a few hours later and it wouldn't open.

I looked in the owners' manual and it said to use the key lock on the rear exterior of the hatch to open it, however, there's no key lock present on my specific model. The manual also shows a trunk release button on the bottom left of the dashboard, however, this isn't present either on my model.

I searched on here and tried two suggestions - locking and unlocked all the locks multiple times with the power door lock switch on the driver's door. I also was reading on here about a hatch/trunk getting put into 'valet' mode or something like that, and to undo that, you'd have to hold down the trunk button for a few seconds. However, I'm pretty sure my model doesn't have that button.

So I climbed into the trunk, popped off the cap covering the emergency/safety release and moved the white piece from left to right. It didn't work. I actually tried opening the trunk with the release to the left and to the right.

When I lock/unlock the doors via door switch or keyfob, I can hear the lock actuator near the hatch handle moving. However, the handle doesn't work to open it.

Anyone have any ideas? How hard would it be to take off the trunk trim from inside with the hatch closed? I thought maybe I could try that and if the trim comes off, I could inspect the actuator and linkage (if it has any) thinking maybe a linkage rod has come off the handle or the actuator.
echris1015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

this happens on my 07. Check the release handle. On mine, it's stiff and doesn't spring back to the "neutral" position. Manually push the lever back towards the car and then try unlocking the doors. You should hear it unlock and then try the handle.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to brenasuarus

The actual cable may have broken. This happened to my driver's side door. That's all I got for you. At this point, I'd just open it up and check it out to investigate.
brenasuarus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Sorry I didn't update, I actually did this the other day. I popped off the interior trunk panel, and was surprised to find the linkages were all in the proper places and attached as they should be. I tried using the emergency release and it was stuck. I could move it left and a small amount to the right, but it wouldn't move over enough to release the lock.

So, I checked the actual hinge/lock part and found something interesting. When I bought the car, it still had the original license plate screws (which were weak and rusted, but would not unscrew). When I went to remove the one with pliers, the head broke off and left the threaded part inside the trunk panel. I eventually drilled it out and re-tapped the hole. However, that small part of the bolt that I had drilled out had fallen into the hinge/lock part of the trunk release. So, I couldn't move the hinge away from the lock because the bolt had become lodged inside. I eventually got the bolt out and all works well now.

I was pretty happy to find that I didn't have to buy a new actuator!

Thanks for the replies.
echris1015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.