Driver door locked and won't unlock - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys,

I locked the doors like normal with the remote and when I came back, I was surprised to find that I can't unlock the driver side door. The electrical seems to be initiating fine, but the actual lock doesn't seem to completely unlock. Like it's stuck.

In my past experience with other cars, the problem was that the metal rod simply slipped or broke off the lock mechanism or something along these lines anyways. To make it worse, now I have no way of opening the door and so I can't take apart the door interior plastics to get to the lock assembly.

Any help is appreciated.. I know the dealership will probably rape me, but I might not have a choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

bump!
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

LOL they quoted me $450 for a seized latch!!!

Bahaha! I'm taking it to another mechanic...
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

for anyone who goes through this in the future:

you can actually get enough of the inner door panel off while the door is closed to get your hand in.. just remove two screws; one by the inner door handle and by the door light and then you can unclip the plastics by pulling on the cup holder area and around the surrounding area... when you get the clips off, you should be able to lift the whole inner door plastics upwards so that the panel is not hanging on the door frame (the door panel actually hangs on the door by the window) once its not hanging, you can pull it back and "blindly" access the door actuator.. I just wiggle the shit out of the actuator rods (2 of them, lock and handle) and eventually the seized latch gave and unlocked.. I think timing with pressing the remote unlock button had something to do with it as well. So now I had the door open and it was just a matter of replacing the lock and hatch actuator. $170 from the dealership... you might get lucky at a wreck yard and get it for cheaper..

I managed to save $280... sux ass that it broke in the first place..

this helped big time: Service manual http://www.6crew.com/Manuals/03-05/Mazda6_Manual_EN.pdf
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flashstar For This Useful Post:
6Ur4Z (05-15-2013), e4w (04-27-2012), Wim (04-26-2012)
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 02:45 PM

always check the fuses first.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Learners License

This happened to me with my 2003 at 105,000 kms. A spring breaks in the lock mechanism and the mechanism will not unlock - the mechanism reacts like trying to unlock the lock while holding the handle open.

The door panel can be partially removed as flashstar mentioned. There is little to no space to work though. I managed to be able to remove the glass from the door, and from there I was able to see what I was doing from the gap above the door panel where the glass slides.

To get the door open:

Detach the metal rod that connects the door handle to the lock mechanism. There is a plastic clip that catches on the rod and keeps it from backing out from the hole. Rotate the clip until it unclips from the rod and then the rod should come free from the hole on the handle.

Lock the door.

Push the rod downwards. Twist hard, then pull back upwards. This should reset the lock.

Unlock the door.

Push the rod downwards. Hopefully the door will pop open, if not repeat and try again.

Once the door was open I removed the lock mechanism and dismantled it. I found a spring had broken at the end. I bent the last coil at the end of the spring to make a new hook, and hooked it back onto the mechanism. Door works perfectly now and did not have to buy a new lock.

While researching on the internet I found someone else had posted a similar method:

Quote:
Meaty1
I have a 2004 Mazda 6 & this happened to me.
I have found the easiest way possible to get the door open without having to remove the interior trim.
1, wind down drivers window.
2, remove carefully the exterior window seal trim
3, about 6" down is the door handle lever, use a screwdriver to unclip the door handle & slide out the rod
4, use a wire coat hanger with a loop on the end or a thin piece of flat steel with a hole in the end
5, hook the wire into the rod & activate the door lock with the key & push the wire down & pull it all the way up & this should trick the lock. IT worked for me.
Was easy from there on & all that needed replacing was the spring inside the lock. A common problem I believe.
Either modify the spring or replace it.
Best of Luck
Paul
Arrowtown . New Zealand

Francis

2003 Mazda 6 2.0
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to makk For This Useful Post:
6Ur4Z (05-15-2013), e4w (04-27-2012), jwtmw (07-31-2014), mich8 (12-29-2011), rexferis (09-19-2011), TMNTfan (06-26-2013)
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know "holy thread resurrection batman!" But I've had this problem for 6 months and I'm just now fixing it. But what I do is complete the previous procedure. And just lift the rod and use your alarm button or just simply push the lock button open yourself. All while holding the rod upwards. And voila! Your door opens no pushing downwards or twisting. I will attempt to fix it using makk s method I will try to picture document so this , so it can become a how to. Since this seems somewhat common. Lmk if you guys agree that this will be helpful.

Happy Rotary'N /_\ !!!

(I'm also a Rx7 owner : p)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoTaRyToyWaTerMeLoN_/_\ For This Useful Post:
6Ur4Z (05-15-2013), mich8 (12-29-2011)
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Learners License

Can someone confirm this is the part number I'm looking for? My 2004 6s driver's side door decided to seal itself today. MAZDA GK2C-59-310H

Dealer quoted $480 for the part and the shop near my office actually laughed at the parts guy. But I didn't get the number, in our shared shock.

And any chance someone still has the 6crew pdf referenced above? Link's dead now.

Thanks for the help.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Learners License

that's great flashstar but the link you give is deleted i think: http://www.6crew.com/Manuals/03-05/Mazda6_Manual_EN.pdf
yes this one.
thnx to everybody who's trying to help.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Learners License

Hey, first i want to thank all of you guys for taking the time out to post this helpfull info, i knew i should check here first before going to the dealer! smh...

Is there any updates or pics on this topic? I am going to attempt opening my door using these techniques but was wondering if there is anything else i should know. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page