REplacing passenger side view mirror? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Models / Trim
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did it! I finally manned-up and replaced the side mirror on my wife's car. I braved the -10 degree weather (literally -10 without the wind chill) and did it. Am I bragging? Yes! Now deal with it. Okay, here is my expert analysis in hoping this will help out someone else.

Follow the door panel removal thread as it is a great guide! There are 3 screws in the door that need to be removed: one by the latch, one by the light at the bottom of the door and one in the door pocket thing. You can't see the screw in the door pocket because it is being covered by a crappy felt/plastic cover. You basically have to rip up the cover to get to the screw which is located in the middle of the pocket. When I pulled up that cover in the pocket it tore in half so be prepared for that. Naughty Mazda for putting a stupid cover in there and a screw underneath. Shame Shame.

Once you get the screws off, go around the outer edges of the door with a big handled flathead screwdriver and pop each one of the plastic tabs away from the door itself. There are 2-3 on each side. Once you get that off you can take off the panel and get to the mirror.

The nuts are easy to remove from the mirror. The trouble I had was with the connector plug. Removing that seemed to take the jaws of life and for me to channel my inner strength to get it off. Once you get it off, removal of the mirror is complete.

I bought a Kool-Vue OEM Replacement mirror. Now, the mirror I got was NOT a direct OEM replacment as advertised. I found that out when I popped off each mirror cover, hoping to transfer my still good blue cover and put it on the new mirror. No mas. The mirror, while very similar is a little larger than the stock mirror I had. The cover did NOT fit! So I put the car back together with the new mirror with the black cover on it. So i have 1 Blue and 1 Black mirror cover. If I get annoyed (or the wife does) with having mismatched mirror covers I will just buy another black mirror for the drivers side as that is cheaper than getting it painted.

All in all it went well and once you know what you're doing it is fairly easy and straightforward. You don't need to know much about cars to do this project, just come patience and a couple tools. My passenger side window now seems to be a little bit off the track so that is super. Hope this write-up helps someone further.

G Stone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.