Mazda 6 Forums banner

The Hume Hwy Run

14K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  Pearly6 
#1 ·
Hey all

On Saturday morning I was driving out of Sydney. I was doing the speed limit...HA

Anyway this Yellow 6, Flew past me at around 160 - 170.. It was crazy

Then too top it off, Just behind it was the Turbo Astra.

Anyhow I pulled over too sleep in a rest area. 4 hours later I was driving down the HWY
any none other that the Yellow 6, flew past again.

What a sight. I used the 6 as a buffer, and sat 100m behind it
For around 50 to 60 km

You should have seen the heads turning

The moral of the story is : nothing ( Hello to the two girls in the yellow 6) you rock

#27 ·
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'The Hume Hwy Run'

Yeah Pocket PC is basically a cut down version of windows designed to run on a wallet-sized computer. These things are pulling 400mhz with 64mb of ram these days so they're not total pieces of crap either.

For me, it makes more sense to spend 1200 bucks on something I can use as a mini-computer (you can send/receive emails, browse the web, etc from these things if you're willing to pay the cellphone costs). They also come with meeting scheduling software, and even cut-down versions of excel, word, and access. Oh and games too... you can get a version of quake, for example.

So it's not as good as a laptop, but still very versitile... and small :)

With regards to pre-programming... yeah you can already buy navigation software for pocket pc's but it can be pretty expensive (up to 1000 bucks for the software alone).

I'd take a shareware approach - 30 day trial, 50 dollar registration fee to get warnings of upcoming hazards.

Then the next part of the project would be to display your position on your melways / sydways / etc... That'd be a more expensive addon since the maps cost like 140 bucks on CD in the first place. So maybe it'd be 200 bucks for the software that displays the melways.

After that comes the things like adding navigation, adding speed limits, etc... ie the hard stuff. It would depend on the kinda information I can get out of the maps on CD... if they already have that info built into them then easy, but if not that's where I'd hafta quit my day job and go full time on the project. (I can dream, right? :))

But there's a good chance if you're a salesperson that you could get your work to pay for the 700 dollar ipaq (since it lets you arrange meetings etc on the road), then all you'd need is 500 for the gps and 50 for the software.

Or I suppose if you had a cabled version then maybe 200 for the gps and 50 for the software. I'm not sure if I'd initially support cabled or not... I prefer the idea of bluetooth because then you can hide it away inside the dash and your ipaq just connects to it wirelessly as long as it's within about 5-10 metres radius of the car.

The hard part is keeping the database updated with information of cameras / hazards / etc (it's a big job for one person to maintain a database with that much info). But that's where the shareware concept is cool, you let the user's report the hazards kinda like roadwatch does.

#28 ·

wow....u should've replaced my lecturer Rainchild :p
Huge infos but nevertheless packed in a few paragraphs :)

Yeah while reading ur "thesis" i came up with the questions of software updates and then again, law/legality issues.

Mini PC are cool...my lecturer got one (A Viewsonic brand) and makes me wanna get one as well :p

Bout the cameras on m1, they are like big pole with a camera that looks like cameras u found at the train stations type of camera on top. there's one on burke rd exit, one after foster rd entrance to m1 and some others like every 5kms or so all the way to toorak rd exit. n after that...maybe speed cams

#29 ·

Yeah I've been thinking about how it pertains to the law... but like on the radio station there's traffic reports for hazards and speed cameras... I think the mentality is that if it slows ppl down that's what they wanted to achieve..

Software updates are easy to d/l you just take the pocket pc outta the car and put it in the cradle at home, run the 'setup.exe' and it puts the new software on there.

I think those tall cameras are just video feeds to let the traffic ppl put up signs going 'traffic is heavy at warragul rd' etc. Don't believe there's any speed attached to those. Usually if there's speed cameras there's one for each lane and they're hidden behind a sign or bridge. Kinda like the citylink toll gate camera's but hidden :)

#30 ·
Replying to Topic 'The Hume Hwy Run'

Hi guys; Just join this forum (m6gr8; see you again ..:) )

Rainchild, there's no fixed speed camera or point to point from and to Geelong.. I go to Geelong at least once a week n' quite often twice. there is the advisory speed check in Lara or Little River towards melbourne (my speedo sits at 100 when iclocked at 95) but that's all. those cameras on the sides (same as the ones in Monash Freeway), they're only surveillance/traffic cameras (not speed cameras). You're right about the western ringroad. those cameras sitting under and sometimes behind the bridges are speed cameras. you can usually tell by three strips or cuts on the road where the cameras are facing. when you drive pass those strips, it calculates your speed and activated the cameras. so, after u pass those strips you can freely increase your speed again.

They also put cameras on westgate bridge last november (about halfway towards the top of the bridge on each direction)

The one at monash freeway/citylink is city bound before the punt road exit where u usually see that chimney-like building that display time & temp and inside the tunnels. just look for the three strips/cuts on the road (if u look up, u may get confused with normal surveillance cameras). I usually put the gear on 3 and set the cruise at 80 (auto version) when descending into the tunnel.

if there were more cameras on monash freeway then i must had collected piles of speeding ticket then :) as i always speed there coz' the bloody trucks keep tailgating me when i do 100 on any lane :rant

it's very easy to go over 120 with the 6 even with the auto. once i floor the pedal it changes to second gear and get upto 115 before it changed back to third and keep revving. nice car but feel kinda sluggish from standing still (bloody auto hehe). I had a manual 1.8 protege before and i think 0-100 it's kinda the same with the 6 auto around 9.5 to 10 sec. the difference is once u get to 120 the 6 keeps revving happily.

#32 ·

OK Pearly6,now I know who you are :)

Gosh your melbournian must have hard time driving to avoid the speeding tickets.Not that we Sydneysiders are much better,but atleast to the degree you are having down there :) I think next time before I head down your way,should perhaps ask you guys for all these camera's locations first.

One downside for auto,particularly the 6,is the takeoff from standing still,due to our just that little bit of low torgue.with manual,we have one extra gear to play with and hold the rev higher any time to take off.But you are relaxing in traffic jab whilst we have to keep excersising our left foot muscles fair a bit :)

#33 ·

yeahh...hate all this cameras...it's cash registers for the greedy gov. especially after they lowered the tolerance to 3Kph...quite confusing too, my understanding with tolerance is they tolerate you doing 103 in 100 zone...but people get booked doing 103... that's why i have the cruise on all the time especially in unchartered areas :D

my friend told me with auto i have to hit the brake with left food and rev-up with right food to get quick standing start... i'm just afraid that i'm gonna damage the transmission doing that...

has anyone tried those mod chip like powerchip or unichip on your 6?
they say it'll pump up the power from 122Kw to 134Kw and 207 to 227NM...
i don;t know what the extra 12Kw feels like.... so if anyone has ever tried that please give me some comment....

in the topic of road angel, i heard that you also pay a yearly subscription of $99....
don;t think it's worth it, do you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.