Mazda 6 Forums banner

Any Interest In a VISracing CF Hood?

8K views 57 replies 8 participants last post by  Poohster 
#1 ·
Any Interest In a Carbon Creations CF Hood?

I have noticed that my hood is rusting at the leading front edge of my hood. The OCD part of me is bothered. I was looking for a carbon fiber replacement. Unfortunately, Fiber Images may not be in business any more. (at least Streetunit is unable to contact them)

I wrote to VISracing and inquired about a CF hood. Naturally, they mistaken that the Mazda6 would fit. I asked if they would manufacture an OE CF hood for the Mazdaspeed6. They said it would take at least 20 orders.

Anybody interested?

Here is the last message they sent on price:

That I’m unsure of, but I’d say perhaps around $550-$700 per hood. Shipping would be about $150.

Director of Marketing
VISracing.com / WingsWest.com
Fred V.
20465 E. Walnut Dr. N.
City of Industry, CA. 91789
Phone: 909-839-1880
Fax: 909-839-2933

See less See more
#2 ·
No one?

#3 ·
bump.

#4 ·
Go on the MazdaSpeed6 facebook page and the other pages and see who is interested there.

#6 ·
Did that. Just bringing this back up for consideration.

#8 ·
I understand. Orange.......Nice!!!!!! GL:) I use to love the look of burnt orange M6.:cool:

I heard sometimes fixing and painting the hood that she will still rust from the inside out. I think the wrap would great but may still rust underneath.

#9 ·
bump!

#11 ·
hey im actually looking for a cf hood from everything ive read you want to stay away from VIS they're going in the tank and their customer service and reliability have taken a massive downward turn. they're going bankrupt that's why they require so many orders. check out the link at the bottom im getting mine for just under 500 after shipping. from my research you should stick to carbon creations, duraflex, and seibon

Reactions: Poohster
#12 ·
OK. So who did you get your hood from?

#15 · (Edited)
Called Carbon Creations and the rep said that they would consider at 15 buyers in order to manufacture CF hoods. He also expressed that they would need a OE hood that would be sacrificed for a mold. That owner would get a free CF replacement hood (I think). Sorry, I forgot to ask the price. but the more, the cheaper.

Here is the list so far:

1. Poohster (OE)
2. Mazdazilla6 (OE)
3. Code Monkey (OE) possibly in
4. Buddy Johnson (feeler)
5. djeves (OE)
6. fxyxdx (OE)
7. Bryan A. Funk (depending on price)
8. 89T (depending on price)

#16 ·
bump. Updated list.

#19 ·
Have not heard back yet.

Updated list.

1. Poohster (OE)
2. Mazdazilla6 (OE)
5. djeves (OE)
6. fxyxdx (OE)
9. Andrew Sponsler (maybe)

#21 · (Edited)
Wow!!! Half way there with definite (s):

1. Poohster (OE)
2. Mazdazilla6 (OE)
5. djeves (OE)
6. fxyxdx (OE)
10. Dan (MarineMazda) (OE)

Unfortunately, Seibon makes a Mazda6 fitted hood. Not a Mazdaspeed 6 fitted hood. They are not interchangeable.

#22 · (Edited)
I spoke with Irving, Carbon Creations, and talked a little about price. No firm numbers yet. Hopefully, in around the same price as VIS Racing. Irving is tracking this thread. So we are getting closer. I'd like to get at least 20 buyers in case (naturally some may back out) further the discussion with Carbon Creations.

1. Poohster (OE)
2. Mazdazilla6 (OE)
3. Code Monkey (Scoop) possibly in
5. djeves (OE)
6. fxyxdx (OE)
10. Dan (MarineMazda) (OE)
11. Cole_slaww (OE)
12. 12ballaholic (depending on price)
13. robert6 (depending on price and scoop)

Just to manage expectations. Carbon Creations advised and would be better for an OEM model than a scoop version. I don't care other than getting a CF hood at this point.

Reactions: 2006_MS6
#24 · (Edited)
All right I am trying to keep a better track on our list. This is what I have, will update all other sites:

1. Poohster (OE) (MSF)
2. Mazdazilla6 (OE) (MSF)
3. Code Monkey (Scoop) possibly in (MSF)
4. Buddy Johnson (feeler) (Mazaspeed 6 FB)
5. djeves (OE) (MSF)
6. fxyxdx (OE) (MSF)
7. Bryan A. Funk (depending on price) (Mazdaspped 6 FB)
8. 89T (depending on price) (MSF)
9. Andrew Sponsler (maybe) (Mazdaspeed 6 FB)
10. Dan (MarineMazda) (OE) (Mazdaspeed 6 FB)
11. Cole_slaww (OE) (MSF)
12. 12ballaholic (depending on price) (Mazda6club)
13. robert6 (depending on price and scoop) (6crew)
14, Nate Baumberger (OE) (Mazdaspeed 6 FB)
15. 6xer (depending on price) (Mazda6club) (Sixxer (MSF))
16. Menin (Interested?) (MSF)
17. bam88 (depending on price and shipping to Canada) (MSF)
18. Branden Sanders (depending on price) (Mazdaspeed 6 FB )

7 definite
2 feeler/maybe
7 depending on price
2 scoop

#25 ·
All right this is the info you guys have been waiting for. I happy that many of you have shown interest. Now We need to come through with someone to work with Carbon Creations to make a hood and come up with 15 real live buyers.

After much deliberation and talking to management they have agreed to produce a carbon OEM style hood IF a minimum of 15 buyers put a deposit down.

Pricing: we will be offering the hood for 699.00+ shipping.
Those who participate will get 30% off! Pricing during the group buy will be 489.50. Shipping within the continental 48 is 145.00

Deposit is 50%, or 244.75. Deposit is non-refundable, and should you opt out, would become store credit.

As with all Carbon Creations parts, the hood would come with a ONE YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY. Should the hood start to yellow, peel, fade, crack, etc during the one year period we would simply ask for pictures of the issue and proceed accordingly.

Thank you,

Irving Ramirez
Account Manager
Extreme Dimensions, Inc.
1-888-611-AERO
(714) 278-8000 Ext. 19
(714) 278-9197 Fax
Welcome to Extreme Dimensions

#26 ·
I spoke with Irving today. He requested that we generate a list with definite money in hand to determine that we have 15 buyers. Then we can send funds. The hood will have a fiberglass skeleton and should have configuration as the OE. We are sticking to the original requirement of OE carbon fiber hood. No options. Hard enough to get a manufacturer to make this hood.

#27 ·
Just to let anyone interested in a CF hood, MSF moderators closed this GB in order to protect their members. There was no protection to recover deposits if things did not go well. I have inquired with Seibon Carbon and DG Motorsports to see if they have different stipulations in their GB policy.

#28 ·
Hey - I'm a forum lurker but I signed up to get in on this as my stock hood is starting to rust bubble, let me know how your arrangements pan out. Can you negotiate a longer warranty period? A year is a bit short. Also, I'd like to know how they plan to deal with the turbo scoop or if we are expected to transplant the stock one. Not sure how much it weighs but that entire stock hood contraption is like a pile of bricks.

Cheers

Tim

#29 ·
Hi gtatimz,

I am waiting to hear back from DG Motorsports. they were out at SEMA. I will send a reminder to DG. So far all vendors have indicated they want tooling cost up front. This stipulation has been unsatisfactory to MSF moderators and I don't blame them. I am at wits end right now and so far no manufacturer is will to expend R&D dollars to profit on about 20 hoods. I was hoping that MS6 owners would realize that this attempt may be the last to get any style carbon fiber hood as our hoods will eventually rust and the only fix is another OE steel hood.

There seems to a higher desire for the OE hood than a scooped version. A scooped version introduces more options and every owner has different opinions. I belief the OE CF design would accomodate the orignal hardware and scoop.

I might put out another GI thread to show DG or Seibon that making and selling this CF hood is not a loss in profits.

Thanks for your interests and I will continue to pursue and update members.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.