Mazda 6 Forums banner

Mazdaspeed 6 horsepower estimate

9K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  bmxer4life 
#1 ·
Hello, I was lucky enough to get a 2006 mazdaspeed 6 GT as my first car and I couldn't be happier with it. I bought it a few weeks ago and the previous owner put a cold air intake and a magnaflow cat back exhaust on it. One of my friends told me these parts add a lot of horsepower, putting the output well into the 300s, and another friend told me that the parts are barely doing anything without a tune. Before I bought this car i test drove a few others and the one I bought seems to pull a lot harder than all the others, so I am curious as to what everyone thinks my horsepower might be.
Thanks

#2 ·
#3 ·
Stock whp is around 230whp...so you are somewhere around there...235-240whp maybe... You have a lot of reading to do if you are looking to increase power and avoid ZZB. Start learning now before you start throwing parts at the car.

#4 ·
You're first friend is sadly mistaken. CAI and catback won't put you "well in the 300's". 230-240 hp is a lot more realistic. And on the path to more power without ZZB, I offer you five words of advice: High-pressure fuel pump internals.

#6 ·
Doesnt the dash hawk have a HP estimator? I forget how it works.. Id start there if youre just curious about it. But, mostly the diffs youre noticeing are from the setup change over stock. It will pull harder and feel more powerful with those mods, but youre running the risk of running too lean, getting fuel cut. And as evryones stated, going boom. And yes a tune will help, but these cars needs lots of love to get lots of HP..

#8 ·
As Speed6's get recycled we'll see questions get repeated. As the price of a used Speed6 drops due to simple age we'll see the average age of the new speed6 owner drop as well, often resulting in more basic questions from lack of overall mechanical experience. Often the people with less mechanical experience will have less time on/in automotive forums such as this one, and the resulting lack of familiarity with the best practices for such resources as well.

This all goes doubly so for a car that can & will misbehave as quickly and enthusiastically as the Speed6. I think we've all owned cars that you could just toss parts at and have it simply get better & better and each of us crossed that mental bridge of becoming accustomed to doing things the Speed6 way instead.
@DeanMS6; there are a lot of variables at play. Providing that everything is at the peak of health (not very likely) and that you're at sea level and that there are no other mods to take into consideration, you might be putting out, maybe, 235. The stock exhaust breaths well so you really only got sound from even a good cat-back system, and the intake won't bring much without tuning to leverage the available benefits- This is because the stock tune is load targeted, and if anything you'll be reaching the targets easier but, until tuned, those targets are not increased.

You've picked out a potentially very fun and outstanding car- but it won't behave like your neighbors camaro or mustang. It'll require some time & effort to get up to speed on how to bend it to your will, get it to behave well and then keep it that way. Think of it like a supermodel- very hot, but high maintenance...

FWIW tho, once you get it broken in it really can be outrageously fun!

#9 ·
First car? It's likely powerful enough. If anything, resort to a tuning solution to optimize what mods have already been done.

It's enough car right out of the box to get one into trouble.

Remember, @PerfectXtreme?

#10 ·
my advice... look at TiGraySpeed6's account and read every post he has written. He is incredibly knowledgeable, and more importantly respectful. I can not thank you enough for the small amount of knowledge i have gained about my car.

On that note, a lot of the people here so far are quoting Horsepower numbers without noting if it is wheel horsepower or not. Its a Noteworthy difference that i think alot of the experienced owners just assume everyone talks in wheel HP. Would it be possible intake + exhaust would get 300 HP at the crank?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.