Mazda 6 Forums banner

Mazdaspeed 6 spare key

11K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  rainking 
#1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a 2006 mazdaspeed 6 and it only has 1 key. I would like to get a spare and I was wondering what everybody had for suggestions. I got a quote at a mazda dealer to get another smart key and get it programmed for almost $500. I don't want to spend this much and I also don't need the smart key, I would be fine with just the fob that is not for the keyless entry.

#2 ·
A lot of history here on this subject. But thats the going price ( about $500). Replaced both of mine. No cheaper replacement to my knowledge. You really need a back-up. If you find any used ones on the market, be very careful, they my not be what they seem. Also , this is a security thing. Higher end car key replacement COSTS can actually be much greater. Oldvet

#3 ·
A lot of people have been going to onlinemazdaparts.com to purchase the uncut key, and then taking it to the dealership to program as most times the dealership has much higher pricing on the keys than the website does.

#4 · (Edited)
This is good information, I dont know this site, thanks. I dont specifically remember programming fees , but a Mazda tech tried to reprogram one of my old keys and said the normal fee was about--$100 to $125. The old key , though spending its life in my in my dresser drawer , could not be reprogrammed . But the SERVICE DIRECTOR gave me a new programmed key for free ---required to give back the old key. Also shortly there after my primary key (old one) died and he gave me a second key--- no charge. But just as a point of interest , Ive bought 4 Mazda's , had all sevice done by Mazda. The SERVICE DIRECTOR had in his hand a record of all monies I spent at the dealership. Thats what they look at. I had new tires put on my Speed6 this morning, at that dealer and they were great-- did not damage the wheels and actually cleaned the back of the wheel when they were off. Hard to beat that service. Oldvet And there is no rip offs, most all pricing was very fair.

#7 ·
OK Good

This is great news, could save people some money. I dont really understand , the reply--- do you have access to a Mazda programmer (machine) , the 2 remotes in question have different and have individual features, so do all the Speed6 remote options work even if its not offered in your 2005 remote . How does it work when you lock the remote in the car or trunk, when you walk away from the running car does it still shut down, how do you get around the I.D. of the old to the new. I think you must be a real computer expert on car I.D. and transposing of of encrypted information from 1 cars remote to another. Im not making fun of you , think you are a real talented person. Thanks-- Oldvet

#10 · (Edited)
JjKalai had a point.This whole conversation started about the Advanced Entry and Start System on the 2006-2007 Mazda Speed6 GT, not the other remote systems offered by Mazda. This is the unit that looks like a thick credit card. Actually this same basic system is offered on the 2014 GT and now also on the 2015 touring, they redesigned the the remote to look more like a conventional unit and make it more durable. I believe what I see on the site you attached , these must be knock-offs and seems something is being lost in the original thought of keeping your car secure, especially if a non Mazda dealer can do the programming --- think there is something wrong here.

#11 ·
A good locksmith can sometimes program key too. I think you can buy key cards on eBay too. I went to Mazda the other day cause mines stopped working. Told me it would be 149 just to diagnose the issue. I will use the regular key . Not paying all that money for keyless entry.

#13 ·
Fcc id = bgbx1t458ske11a01

Look for a key that uses the same frequency:
Code:
 Keys | FCC ID = BGBX1T458SKE11A01

Thinking you can find a key for less than $100 used. New? Problematic.

Perhaps a dealer will charge about $100 to program your keys. Make sure that's TOTAL and not per key. I purchased two used keys on ebay and had four keys reprogrammed for something like $75.

When JM Baggie was at onlinemazdaparts.com I think one could get a key cut by providing the VIN and maybe the official code that Mazda has per your vehicle. Or maybe VIN + ID? The latter Mazda code allows one to start from scratch, I guess, in the event one has NO keys.

(Why four keys? Well, I have lost one and another has been laundered a bunch. Sh*t happens.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.